new market for next Xmas

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
Absolute Wizard

new market for next Xmas

Post by Martin »

Not really a new market but a changed market, Caerphilly Medieval Market at the castle, this year was fab, 10 X better than the previous few years, lots more effort, no big plastic marquee full of people selling flip flops and Inca hats who wouldn't bother even trying to source costume to wear, lots of smiling MOP's despite the rain there was a proper LH group, all in all a massive improvement and if you sell to MOP's as well as reenactors well worth a punt next year, one or 2 little gripes, a caterer who refused to dress in kit and only sold burgers and sausage inna bun, but that was noticed by those what make decisions and duly noted, I pointed out there were a few caterers that do dress in kit and could provide a wider range of food :)
"you dont make friends with salad!"

LadyL

Re: new market for next Xmas

Post by LadyL »

This would be of interest to us, in the light of your comments re food traders. I've previously elected not to bother with it knowing there are at least 2-3 hot food stalls already in the castle & therefore too much competition to be financially viable. I have the details, so will submit an application for this December.

Cheers Martin.
The Giddy Kipper - Pirate Galley Ship of Event Catering Services
"it's rustic because life's too short to peel potatoes"
"Eat when ye are hungry, drink when ye are dry"

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

tbh they are lovely people, but the food was a crap selection and they couldn't be arsed to dress up or owt, it just looked like as burger stall at a cheap fair or car boot sale lol, lots of customers came past our stall commenting on how crap it looked, but please Lady L, not just burgers or sausages though eh :)

LadyL

Post by LadyL »

Wouldn't do burgers, Martin. Sausages (probably more along the line of a bratwurst variety), possibly, as they are commercially viable. I believe there is a hog roast chap there already. Would probably offer beef goulash also as a non bread based option & which always proves popular & a vegetarian dish.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

bratwurst variety
mmmmmmmm, about burgers though, have you considered making your own ? s'dead easy and homemade burgers always ell in my experience, specially if you do chilli burgers, herb and black pepper etc, maybe I could make you some venison burgers lol :) , the guy who does the hog roast, is, as I say a nice chap but they refuse to wear costume , he started telling me it was because of EHO and health and safety :roll: , I asked him what reason they gave ? he didnt answer, the reason ? because its B***cks thats why, he could do it in kit and he chooses not to and lots of people noticed, especially all the traders who made an effort to dress up etc

LadyL

Post by LadyL »

I've done burgers on some indoor LRP events - my butcher makes a brilliant 6oz cracked black pepper burger for us, which we serve with salad, pickles & Emmental cheese and of course quality relishes (although we do have to provide a plain tomato ketchup). They do go down well, but I've never sold them on outdoor show as yet. However, it could be a possibility under the guise of "meat patties", and burgers do always sell. I'm sure Mark Beckwith would enjoy experimenting!

There's no problem wearing kit re EHO - I've already checked this out. As you know, we have "uniforms" - the buccaneer trousers & med/vik shirts. Plus aprons as the PPE to comply with H & H. Said trader is talking rubbish.

When the applications come out I'll drop one in & see what the outcome is. If we stick to a very simple menu (with a dish for traders only ;) ) we should be able to do it out of one of our period tents.