Workshop Broken Into Today

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Workshop Broken Into Today

Post by Neibelungen »

Annoying and a day wasted , but nothing taken.

Came in late this morning to work because of a cold and wondered why there were scissors left inside by the internal door to my workshop. Couldn't get the lock to open..

Turns out, about 1/2-hour after Ileft work yesterday, some scrote decided to break into our workshop, looking for cash... Yes, like I've even got enough to leave lying around.

Went up to Dawn's workroom and there's a big hole in the roof.. Lifted up the slates and pulled up the wooden shuttering underneath. There's a big spate of this type of entry method in Leeds atm.

Mostly annoyed at wasting a day than anything.. Did the clothes shop across the alleyway at the back afterwards..same method.. broke through the roof.

Have a domestic alarm system, but never got round to wiring it up.. I might have to look at the cost of a linked system, but they were £1500 about 15 years ago, so dread to think of the cost now.
Military Metalwork
Accoutrements, Regalia, Headdres & Metalwork

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk

Badger

Re: Workshop Broken Into Today

Post by Badger »

Sorry to here that.

If you have a phone line in your unit, there are some relitively cheap 'easy to fit' alarms systems under £250.
The joy of this type is they call your chosen numbers in the order of your choosing.
Mines set to call myself and 3 friends close to my shop, all within 3 mins of the shop at worse.
If you need the name of a system message me and i'll look it up again.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

Badger,

If you could dig out the details of that I'd be very interested. I think Yale do some kind of system like that too.

I had the alarm from my old workshop and had brought up, but because it was in the back garden of my house, would hear it if it went off (mostly the cat) . Not much good if your 2 miles away though, so was why I never installed it.

Think now it's would be a very good idea to get a bit of peace of mind and an alert.
Have a low light IP camera sitting around too, which will go in as well. Can always watch the ghosts with it, if nothing else.
Military Metalwork

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

its a pity that after coming in through the roof like that they did not fall through the ceiling and end up impaled on something spikey

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

Yes, although I could end up liable if I take undue care of somebody breaking in and cause them an accidental injury. No glueing glass to the tops of walls anymore these days.

Occupier’s Liability Act 1984 and the 2003 ammendments. So if I dropped caltrops on the floor I'd be in trouble... If I put a big warning sign up saying ' Danger-- Caltrops deployed for peeple dropping from the cieling" I might just get away with it..

Strangley enough.. keeping a baseball bat by the door can get you in trouble too... keeping a baseball with it keeps you in the clear.
Military Metalwork

Badger

Post by Badger »

Barbed wire and carpet gripper works a treat. :D

Although CCTV is wonderfull, you can take your time to catch the b**ger.

Aah happy memories, chav tries to break in shop front and rear, had over 30 mins of video and sound of him and his mates.

Fails to get in, even with a lump hammer. :D

The icing on the cake, he returns to the shop weeks laters trying to buy a sword.
O what fun i had in the weapons room :wasntme:

Cathy the slayer

Post by Cathy the slayer »

You really don't want to know how we rigged electric fencing to keep people from coming over our fence/garage roof :roll:
PS it did have warning sign's & you would have to be half way over to get "stung" :lol:
Discounts for re-enactors on Bespoke Hand Made Frames for all sorts of artwork, fabrics & objects, from thimbles to swords, Fine art Guild member

Thomas Hayman

Post by Thomas Hayman »

It's surprising the lengths people go to for a little bit of cash or goods. Glad they didn't take anything!
Official Thumb biter.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Oh yes they certainly do. My local charity shop was broken into - front door was smashed in. And what do you think charity shop have at the back and under the counter? Gold bars? And guess who had to pay for the repairs and then a new metal front door.

dickthepic

Post by dickthepic »

Anyone know where I can buy a baseball to go with my bat?