Bowstock - updated web site

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Steve Stocker

Bowstock - updated web site

Postby Steve Stocker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:53 pm

We have just put up our new front-end web site - please have a look and pick some holes etc.
It includes my first (very) basic .php stuff.
The online store will be updated to match next week if all goes well.
Ta
Steve

http://www.bowstock.co.uk

Usted no tiene prioridad

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Steve,

Very nice. Good clean layout and style.. very Web 2.0. Nice to see a full CSS layout. I'm redeveloping mine that way at the moment. Shame there's few good CSS based shopping carts still.

Couple of points:

The home button doesn't work on every page. It's only the actual home page you want it disabled on.

Contact page. You could do with a form there rather than just an email link.
It' s surprising howm many people won't send anything if it's not all laid out before them that instant.

Your search button on the home page (left side) . Could do with a roll-over or css image swap to make it appear more clickable.. it's not quite giving enough feedback to feel right to me.

IE8 gives a duplicate button appear on the 'Please visit or online Store' when you hover over it.

You might want to think about keeping the top navigation available on each of the pages. Lets you know your still within the same site. Opening them into a page that has a different layout can be slightly confusing to some and doesn't let you know you in the same location still.

From the tutorials or leather, you can only go back one step, Can't get to Home directly. Very minor, but it still ads an extra click.. Plus keeping your top navigation and logo in there reinforces your identity .

Hope those help.

Nice to see good use made of internal links from info pages to the products. Lot of time that's a lacking feature and good for SEO ranking.
Plus it helps cross sell stuff.

Minor point I'm not sure about.. The lower text links (bottom nav). Is it still accepted practise to have working hyperlink text links underlined ? i'n not sure if it's a faded idea now with too much being underlined, but I always expect them to be links if they are.

Andrew

Steve Stocker

Postby Steve Stocker » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks for the review Andrew, very helpful and some good positive points.
I will make some changes based on your notes, especially the nav stuff.
I've been looking at these pages for so long that I no longer see them!
Good luck with your own mods.
Steve

Usted no tiene prioridad

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I saw this last night, or night before when I was browsing. Looked good.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Return to “Traders Discussion”