Herb Seedlings

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Daniel Ezra

Herb Seedlings

Postby Daniel Ezra » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Some questions: My partner is thinking of selling "authentic" herb plant seedlings at re-enactment fairs and some events.

Is anyone already doing this?

Do you guys think this is a goer?

Have you any advice?

Yours
Dan Ezra

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:17 pm

a fair few people do this when they have spare plants, but I'm not aware of any one single person doing it all the time. Definately a good idea, especially if you supply info on the uses of each plant in different periods and particularly dates of introduction etc

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Cressing Temple sell historical herbs and it's lovely browsing, especially if they are slightly out of the ordinary. I do a Garden fair and that's heaven. I don't know how many different flavoured thymes and mints I've picked up over the years.
At Cressing I fell for the "this is Roman wormwood". I never questioned that it might be different from modern English wormwood. Maybe a bit of added value - a little card given with each pot with a bit of info taken from a herbal? Then she could sell little decorative leaflets of recipes for herby salves, or biscuits, or soapballs or whatever.
Oooo the herbs could be displayed in clay pots and maybe have one of Trinity Pottery's crazy thumb controlled watering 'can' as part of the display/
Sorry. I'm getting carried away.
Pretend football pitch type grass instead of a tablecloth?
Must shut up
Annie

Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:49 pm

remember if you decide to sell actual herby items rather than just recipes that things like soapballs come under the cosmetic regulations, so she'd need to weigh up whether the certification and weights and measures malarky is worth it. Otherwise wot Annie said- add value by selling herby things to go with the plants, just avod anything technically classed as a cosmetic unless you want to spend a week doing paperwork first (but if you do, I can help talk you through the technicalities :) )

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 am

And the cost, Sally! If she is a tiddly trader like what I am, it's prohibitive.
Definately stay away from cosmetics.

I was just thinking of pretty bits of paper looking like a page out of a herbal but actually, Sally, selling cosmetics is a brilliant idea. Of course you'd buy them from someone who's done all the hard labour - da dah: from Sally, of course, and put a horrendous mark up on each product :?
Annie

Hon_Kitty

Postby Hon_Kitty » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:36 pm

... sounds hopeful anyway!

The other thing we're thinking about was whether it would be possible to sell
a) authentic fruit and veg baby plants to take home and grow on
b) the actual end result of said plants - not like anyone would be able to tell the difference between a period leek and a contemporary leek but hey ho someone might be interested other than me!

Kit
(Dan's other half)

Kit
aka the Honourable Miss Fire
aka Medhuil Webbestre

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 am

No - old varieties are great!
I better not say too much but certain reenactors when visiting a certain museum and viewing gorgeous olde wordie fruit left to rot in their orchard have been known to bump into a branch or two. That's really understated - we go mad with delight.
Oh Sulgrave and it's Warden pears...
Stuart Peachy sells his fruit.
Actually it would be really nice just to be able to buy any healthy food when at a fair. I feel quite ill after stuffing my face with doorstep sandwiches, pies and chips for 4 days.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 am

Can only agree there, fresh fruit for sale at markets is a great alternative to the burger vans, and it looks fantastic for the MOPs too.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 am

Annie the Pedlar wrote:Stuart Peachy sells his fruit.

*grin*

Peachey :D

sorry :oops:

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:28 am

I would be interested in everything and ANYTHING plant related that was period appropriate. Seeds & seedlings. A one stop shop for period appropriate veg & herbs & fruits and even flowers would be marvellous.

Any information/back up you can provide will ensure more sales, but even a broad categorisation would be fine, you know Good for Anglo Saxon, or Good for 16th Century, that sort of thing. So many so-called heirloom varieties are 19th C., it's frustrating.

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am

Dye plants.

Annie

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:14 am

I think you'd have a great, fabulous and otherwise wonderful stall if you stuck to the raw material with info cards, that way you're not liable for anything anyone might do with the stuff! Seeds, plugs, plants, veg & fruits... at least for the first year until you find your feet.

I'm thinking a period appropriate bunch of flowers (or button hole) could take over from the fox tails as the fetish du jour!

kittylittle

Postby kittylittle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm

This sounds a lovely idea and a most interesting project. You can also tailor it to whatever period you are attending. Lots of research needed but worth the effort I would say. Good luck, I shall watch out for you at events.

I'm in my own world, its ok they know me here.

Return to “Traders Discussion”