Proactive advertising by traders

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

Just been having a chat with a couple of other traders at Ludlow and we came up with an idea, it would be no good for some shows, but Im sure it would work at others, for example, this weekend in Lincoln the market coincides with the big market in town, we thought it would be a good idea to get a couple of local reenactors to get all "tinnied" up and spend the morning on Saturday and Sunday walking around the town etc handing out flyers etc, and the traders chuck in £5 or £10 each to the guys doing the leafleting , it just seems a good way to attract people to the show, there is already a lot of advertising for it but I think 2 guys/lass's wandering around in kit will generate a lot more interest, just a thought , and if it worked try it at other shows, pay local reenactors to leaflet drop during the show.
suggestions?
"you dont make friends with salad!"

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

I went out in kit round the town with the lovely belly dancers at Caldicot 2007, and we went and canvassed support in the pubs and shopping street. We would have been more successful if Wales hadn't been playing in an international match that day...
It does work though, folk came after the match because we had reminded them it was on.
Lucy
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

because we had reminded them it was on
that's what we figured, and no mater how many fliers/posters etc there are some people who wont see em :) , it just seems like a good proactive thing to do , we all need lottsa footfall after a bad year and if it works we can do it again, much as it pains me to say it some organ :D

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

you could do additional advertising with fridge magnets martin ;)
forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

Badger

Post by Badger »

I'd do that for my own shop in town.

Peeps in tin get the attention.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

so, 83 views and 3 comments ? not even any suggestions , ah well, you can only try :roll: , just seemed a good idea to improve every ones takings but I must suppose everyone is having such a good season that no new idea's are needed :wink:

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Sorry Martin, thought my posting was a bit on the positive side, should have made it more clear- YES I agree if we are somewhere where there is potential to increase sales by having a couple of chaps or chappesses wandering around in kit and enthusing the locals, either count me in to contribute to paying them a bit of beer money to do so, or count me in to be a loud sonofa and go round the town myself with them drumming up business, if I have still got a Tim to watch my stand by then, of course... :wink:
Lucy
lucythetudor@gmail.com

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

I know yours was darlin, sorry if it didn't seem that way when I responded lol, I was just commenting on the complete lack of enthusiasm in either direction from everyone else :D , we are going to pay a friend of ours to go out with Suzie in nice gowns with flyers for the show and 10% discount for those with flyers that buy jerky, just so we can see if it has any effect.
I was assuming that traders may want to discuss ideas to get mops into shows as it only benefits everyone who is there trading and unfortunately, while some organisors are lovely they couldn't advertise a show to save their lives as has been seen on a few occasions this year.

:lol:

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

:D
I think people are just a bit tired, they'll go for it when they are back in the mood for the new season.
Lucy
lucythetudor@gmail.com

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Post by Lord High Everything Esle »

Hi Martin
It is a good idea and I include it in my "event organisers guide" along with other suggestions such as GIANTS. But surely it should be the organisers who do this. That's what we pay our pitch fees for.
Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

But surely it should be the organisers who do this
your right m8, and most do, and a very good job some people do, but unfortunately for each one that does there is one that doesn't and there isn't much of a downside AFAICS. its adverting our presence for a minimal cost cos I think almost all of us has been bitten once or twice this year and if we can organize our own little "publicity" it can only be for the common good :D , a lot of people don't take notice of fliers but they certainly take notice of knights and ladies handing out flyers, also the kiddies see em and nag their parents to be taken where as kiddies take no notice of adverts in papers etc :D

The Bearded Dwarf

Post by The Bearded Dwarf »

Absolutely, event organisers SHOULD, do things like send people out flyering on the day of events, but most don't.

Also, the benifit of getting a few re-enactotrs out on the street is stirring up a bit of public interest (we hope!).

Another idea, though again something for organisers (perhaps for your guide?) is leafleting hairdressers well in adavance.

Might seem a silly idea, but, so I am reliably informed, Hairdressers are even better than taxi drivers for gossip!

Or perhaps, we should get a couple of re-enactors to go for a hair cut in kit a week before an event :D - will be trying this at Chatteris I think.
"No, Martin isn't here this weekend"

Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia
http://www.medievalmarket.co.uk/
http://www.histrenact.co.uk/webshop/

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Post by Lord High Everything Esle »

Hi All
I think this is an issue that the NMTF branch should consider. Maybe traders should be "taxed" at each event to provide the service. After all it would be unfair for only a few traders to ante-up and all the others benefit at no cost to themselves.

Over to you Pete the Pong.
Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

I can see benefits from it but personally I cant see much benefit for me at lincoln as im not going there.
it is now the end of the season for events for me and as said by Lucy some of us may be a bit tired at the mo ( have just got back from somerset personally ) so in a little while may be able to summon up a little more enthusiasm.
I think I may sound a bit more positive in the new year.

have got nothing against you or your idea Martin but the best I can manage today is a post to lighten the mood and bump the thread so thats what I did ;)

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

:D I wast havin a pop m8 honest lol, I'm just surprised that more traders don't have any idea's or suggestions for a bit of pro active advertising, this year I have been to shows so badly advertised that people living next door haven't known there's a show on, and for many traders whose sole income is their business its making me seriously think about what shows I'm doing next year , its not just about Lincoln its about lots of other shows next year :P

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

see I made you smile and kept this thread at the top of the page.

actually the number of mops at an event does not have so much of an effect on me as I mainly sell to you lot anyway but if an event does not do well then there would be less of you lot there next time.

I would consider a small donation to the fund for something like this but would also consider it to be something that should be done by the organiser as I have to pay a fee for my pitch.

there are somethings that organisers can do with very little cost to promote events and at many other kinds of events is considered the norm.

when booking a pitch to sell from or a group booking the event could send a small quantity of flyers so that at one event you can tell customers etc that you will be at x event next, it helps get more people to the next event which helps the organisers of that, more customers for the traders, more mops to see the re enacters.
an event next august will give me an A4 laminated poster and a few flyers and im sure they will get a few more people booked in due to it ( ok for this one I am involved in the organisation of it a bit but if an event sent 5 or 10 or more flyers if requested when they replied to my completed form and cheque I would do what I could to get more of my customers there.

House of De Clifford

Post by House of De Clifford »

erm......we are doing this for ourselves in Norwich next week...we are going up a couple of days early to wander roung the city...Dave in tin( god you can't keep him out of it now he's got it!!!! makes sharing a bed interesting!!!! :D ) I'll be in posh kit, and i think we are being joined by Mr and Mrs Pong, and a few other traders if they can make it.

Now this isn't always possible before you all shout me down, cos i know we have to have production/manufacturing/stock runs........ but where time allows... I'll always be up for it.........nothing like helping ourselves....

Miranda x
House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

House of De Clifford

just to add,
Myself and Miranda came up with the idea of going round the city all tinned up and in posh gear for Norwich some months back. We just felt it was a good idea as we would benefit directly if people more people came to the show. We want to support Ian in this event as we believe it is going to be huge in future years and have asked for nothing in return. We do not expect anything in return except maybe more public through the gate !
Because we are staying with Pete and Gracia, they have offered to come and leaflet aswell which i think is superb ! More the merrier !
And yes, before anyone says anything, i am a total tin whore now...i love my harness.
Wonder if i can get away with carrying my hand and a half round the city aswell ??!!!
Dave.
House of De Clifford

jelayemprins

Proactive trader advertising

Post by jelayemprins »

An interesting thread. From an event organisers perspective [ and for those who dont know me I traded back in the 90's at many events with authentic products so I have seen this from both sides of the table] this discussion is of great merit. :)

For Norwich Cathedral Historic Christmas Fayre I'm delighted to endorse the Traders efforts to help with the marketing of this event. There is another local medieval market the week before and I know many of the Traders are here all week, staying locally, so it makes sense !!

Now Thursday is late night shopping in the city & with 2 Shopping Malls a group prescence of [8?] costumed traders/entertainers, with relevant handbills, to an audience of circa 10,000 shoppers has to be worthwhile. OK many of them will be trendy, dedicated, young, fashion concious mall-worshippers but there will be a percentage who will come if they know about it!

I will aim to get a load of extra flyers printed - BUT I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY TRADERS PREPARED TO WALK THE WALK OVER HOW MANY DAYS IN ADVANCE?

For your info there is a giant 'BBC sponsored' TV screen over the entrance to Chapelfield Mall with 12 images from last year advertising this one, on the hour, every hour I believe. [still need to find time to sit and watch it 8) ]

We have a pro PR company marketing this event for the cathedral [Mary Rudd PR] , it's on as many websites as I can find [where can we go.com get free listings in the Daily Telegraph for instance]. All Press and media informed, and I send out Minstrels, storytellers and dancers into the city lunchtime friday [first day of trading] to hit those going to lunch.

Posters have gone out all across Norfolk through the excellent networking of the Cathedral, all coach travel companies in the East of England were informed in the Spring and some have arranged special shopping days .

Its also been confirmed that the event will happen in 2009 so traders, venue and BKH can promote it at this years event. It will be on the EDP 2009 wall planner printed in January, as will Pensthorpe Aug Bank Hols and the NLHF.

A typical quote from a visitor to the Norfolk Living History Fayre, at Mannington Hall in October, as she paid her £4 [concession] to Lady Walpole "I didn't know this was on" ... What that means, to us laymen, is that Lord Walpole hadn't personally phoned her the week before to give her a personal invite... :shock: !!!!!!!!

So with that in mind, remember that most people who turn up at an event wont know its on anyway!

Seasons greetings.

jelayemp...
'making history happen'
-

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

nice to see this from an organisers point of veiw and that they are supporting the traders with flyers

Joanna Spencer

Post by Joanna Spencer »

I think its a brilliant idea Martin and would certainly be willing to give small donation (small because at most events i don't take a huge amount and pitch fees seem to be ever increasing) to those willing to walk around in kit giving out leaflets. Robin, I know would be delighted to do just that and you can be sure that he'd get himself noticed!

And really sorry because I meant to come and buy from you but when i tottered past on my way to portaloo you were knee deep in customers and it was too cold to hang around. really glad you did well at Ludlow - have to say we didn't do as well as last year - perhaps it was the cold or the all pervading stench of lambburgers!

However this is our lot for the year as am about to go in for a hip replacement so hopfully will gadding around renewed next year!

a very happy Christmas to everyone and lots of good wishes for 2009

Joanna

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

Sounds like Norwich is going to be buzzing, its great to see so much effort made , and its knowing that you do such cracking advertising is what will make it a success with traders queuing up to get in next year :D , I really wish that every organisor could read your post and see what is possible, and much of it at not a lot of cost ( though some is expensive lol) , unfortunately many don't they rely on a couple of photocopied fliers in chippies and supermarket noticeboards and maybe a small corner of a free local paper and if we know that a couple of local bods have done the rounds with fliers and will do it again over the actual weekend that attract peoples notice then no matter how negligible the "organized"advertising is we know some good has been done as well, and I cant imagine having to pay a lot, offer a group a few bottles of mead and I'm sure they would do it, or even 2 guys paid how ever much it isn't going to be to much, and maybe talk the the organisor about a small pitch fee reduction for our efforts to get more mops in ? its a thought :D

Montsegur

Post by Montsegur »

As an event organiser I also agree with Martin - we've been doing things like this at Lanark for some years.
Initially, when the event was in town, re-enactors took part in the annual Wallace Day parade. Good PR.
We'd to stop that when we moved to a new bigger site - partly because we didn't have the time any more, and partly because the police said no...

Lanark (the Royal Burgh of) is not big enough to make this worthwhile during our show - and the bulk of our visitors come from further afield.

But, thanks to our friends at Medieval Clydesdale (joined at other times by members of other groups) we have (from May up until our event in August) gone and staged displays at major horse race meets, museums, open days, garden centres, other festivals and fairs, etc. It seems to work judging by the response from a professional visitor survey carried out for us this year.
That showed 99% of visitors classed Lanark this year as good or very good; and 83% said they were very likely/likely to return.
The firm doing the survey - for the local authority, not us - said all the figures were like that, and they'd not come across those sort of levels before (they do all sorts of event surveys across Scotland).

However we have found that there are problems in getting permission from councils/police to just turn up in kit unannounced in a town centre.

Since we are doing 17th century next year we might send D&D into the town centre in kit. Dave in his clanky kit might pull a few more MOPS....................
Scotland's Festival of History
http://www.scotlandsfestivalofhistory.co.uk

House of De Clifford

Well done Martin, this seems to be a very relevant, interesting and helpful thread.

Miranda
House of De Clifford

House of De Clifford

Hi all,
Ian has asked if we could help organise with any traders who wish to help with the pro active leafleting in kit for Norwich.
To this end, can any trader who wishes to help on Wednesday, Thursday and Thursday evening or any combination of the above please let us know as we will have to arrange where and when to meet.
Cheers all.
Dave.
House of De Clifford

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

Would love to help but the buses stop running before 6pm so I have no way of getting into the city (drawbacks of Norwich! :evil: )
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

It works, it definatly works, there were quietish times over the weekend, a couple of traders went out in kit, gerald was heralding and the numbers increased massively and all for not to much effort :D , hope everyone had as good a weekend as we did cant wait till next year lol :D :D

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

:D :D :D
lucythetudor@gmail.com