Fire!!!!!!!!!

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Fire!!!!!!!!!

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

am thinking of making a few fireboxes as there seems to be a shortage and was wondering what types people would be interested in and indeed if there was any interest.
am thinking of making them modular so parts are interchangable with the first one being a simple tray with removable legs, bars on top and griddle plate, a frame above for hanging things from.
like my forges I will try to make them pack up easily and with everything fitting in the box.
any comments ?
forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

Bittersweet

Post by Bittersweet »

I don't suppose that was constructive or helpful but I thank you for bringing back memories :D
Why can't life be simple?

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

thanx for the link, I do like that

Tiny Castle

Post by Tiny Castle »

Any idea how much they would cost ???
we are looking at having one made now but would appreciate more details
as we are interested.

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

depends really on what you want and on how I can best fit the legs ( with the forges the legs are a lot of the work that goes into making it ).
am making 2 prototypes for chatteris and berkerly to see how I can make them better and if people can tell me of improvments that are needed.
will see how long it takes to make them up and will be able to give a list of options and prices when the design is a bit more final.
Dave

bournio

Post by bournio »

if they're not designed to be moved, could you use pegs?

I'm sure most people won't get a hot enough fire to melt them: have a tray with holes, or box section welded into the corners, then holes through the outside corners, and a short peg to keep them in place? Assuming that you're making straight legs.
If you look generic you look like a few people, ok...

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

with the forges I weld a piece of round tube inside in the corners, then drill through it and the bottom as after welding the next size down of tube is often too tight a fit and then I plug the top, all this is on the inside even though doing it on the outside would be a lot easier I wanted to keep the outside free from anything sticking out.
I have an idea for the legs that on short ones will be straight but on fireboxes you can use standing up at will be bent outwards for added stability, am thinking of using angle for the legs this time and having just one bolt per leg underneath but want to test this before I make one for anyone and want to play around with doing feet on the legs to stop them sinking.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

here is a little thing I have made, those who have seen it seem to like it and at the last event I sold out and taken an order for another.

in the first pic everything is packed inside the case that measures about 450mm square and 100 deep.

here it is with the mesh in place so that it can slide for access to the fire, also the two uprights are fitted in the side sockets
this last picture shows the single pot hanger that can be swung to the desired position
one feature of this firebox apart from the fact that everything packs away in the box and that the bottom if 18 inches off the ground is that there is avaliable a add on kit of a tue and pipework to enable it to be used as a small portable forge.
Last edited by The Iron Dwarf on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.