I'm going plastic

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Annie the Pedlar

I'm going plastic

Post by Annie the Pedlar »

I think I need to take the plunge and accept plastic cards ....but which terminal? Adelante? Chip and Pin? Something else?
Oh help? I don't know which to choose.......
Annie

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

We have started taking plastic with paypal on our laptop, slightly higher fees, but no up front cost of the machine. pm me if you want details
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

A.S.H

Post by A.S.H »

I have found it depends on so many things. One thing though, if you are part of an organisation tell them and you often get discount. If you trade in lots of small items make sure there isnt a minimum transaction charge. It also depends on who you bank with too. It is def worth shopping around. Be carefull of the low rates though because they often make it back on monthly rental.

Ash

The Gingerbread Lady

Post by The Gingerbread Lady »

Don't the Market Traders Federation do some sort of offer on this type of thing? Some of the traders at my farmers market use their services, but am not sure what type it is.
Gingerbrede washed down with mead - it can't get much better than this!

A.S.H

Post by A.S.H »

The market traders federation have chip and pin advertised in their newsletter. They also have a mobile phone paymet service advertised in there.
I went with my bank as i wanted it all under one roof.

Ash

Annie the Pedlar

Re the NMTF - yes, that's where I got Aldelante and Chip and Pin from,
The Chip and Pin man was very down on the Adelante's mobile phone deal saying customers refuse to use it (pin numbers going into a stranger's mobile etc) but he would say that wouldn't he.

I didn't know about the Paypal/laptop idea......but I don't have a laptop....yet.

Keep the comments coming :)

Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 »

We went with Aldelante. We used the mobile phone system last year and it works fine, customers DO NOT have to enter a pin number into your phone, it is just used to approve and process the tranaction either by text mesage or special software they will put on your phone. It always worked very well, they also provide a paper backup/ receipt and a internet based approval system which you can use for telephone orders or to put the paper backup's through.

This year we decided to have a chip and pin machine and decided to stay with Aldelante as they will do the machines on a six month contract, which means if we don't think it is working out this year we can end the contract at the end of the season and try something else, but so far it is working well.

Jackie Phillips

Post by Jackie Phillips »

Adelante's mobile POS is what I use and find it excellent and simple to use. It isn't chip and pin (so customers do not put their pin into a stranger's mobile), but it is secure and I've not had a problem with customers yet, it just takes a moment's explanation.

Chip and Pin is more expensive but customers recognise it. Mobile terminals are available from chipandpinsolutions, Adelante and some banks.

Paypal is an option though you do obviously need to connect to the internet. Again, customers are putting their password into your machine, which is not ideal. Steve from Bowstock uses his secure server on his website to do the same job.

The biggest costs are the setup fees, it costs a chunk (one account quoted me £250) to set up a merchant account that your payments get paid into (though Adelante have a very good deal with the Bank of Ireland) and the monthly fees. Adelante have a minimum charge of £8.50 a month and my merchant account £20, though the card charges/transaction charges are taken out of these until you reach the above prices.

I understand that renting a chip and pin terminal is about £35 a month on average, what I don't know is how much that includes in the way of transaction charges.

I'm unlikely to accept a sale of less than £10 via plastic (but then again I sell very little that is under that price), I worked it out that it costs around 67pence on a card transaction for that amount, assuming I do enough transations a month to cover the excess on the fees mentioned above. It depends on what you sell and how much/often.

If I can be of any more help, don't hesitate to ask, though I'm pretty much at the limit of what I know. It has made a huge difference to my business and possibly even doubled my income, but it's not right for everyone.

Jackie
Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Wouldn't it be great if the larger markets could have something set up whereby if you aren't able to take credit cards a central terminal is set up for them to use. You give them a ticket, they go along to a booth, get there card swiped/chip and pinned/whatever, come back to you with a receipt and you give them the goods. And somewhere along the line the money, minus a commission gets to you.
Now I no it can never be that simple :wink: but it's an idea. It would mean that even people just starting out could take credit card payments just for the duration of any large market that they do.
Lawrence

Annie the Pedlar

Hi Lawrence
Oh I remember Foyles :lol: and it's how they do it in Chile and the best icecream shop in Florence :D
It goes - try to buy something, get given a ticket, walk to somewhere else, queue up and eventually pay, get given another ticket, walk to back to the stall, queue up, be told to go to a packer, walk to somewhere else, queue up, give in you ticket and finally get your purchase. Drives you nuts but keeps a lot of people employed :wink:

Paypal is sort of that idea. Us tiddlers need Paypal on a hand held ternimal or phone........

Hi Jackie and Dave,
thanks that's very useful.

Annie

looking for small toys and gifts?
Have a peek at http://www.littlechle.co.uk

Jackie Phillips

Total aside Annie, but the link on your signature is coming up as not found, is it spelt right?

Jackie

Annie the Pedlar

Thank you Jackie - there's an i missing - doh!
It's
Looking for small toys and gifts?
Have a peek at http://www.littlechile.co.uk

Hey - (if you manage to conect this time :? ) you are the first member of the public to see it. :D
If I manage to find the bag of stock I lost at Kentwell I'll send you a free gift. (Unfortunately the bag is cunningly disguised as a C16th thing and finding it may prove difficult.) (It was one of those moments when I wanted to kick myself very hard.)
Annie

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Gorgeous stuff! Particularly like the little baskets and the bags.
This stuff should sell really well.
Lucy
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Annie the Pedlar

Oh how sweet of you Lucy. :D
Not having a clue how or where to advertise this I'm going with what I know best - gossiping :twisted: - granny's way of viral marketing :wink:

Let me know how you are getting on with your e or is it www? shop.
I'm trying to make an order form, work out how people are going to pay etc and it's doing my head in.

When we meet ask me to tell you the story of my first attempt at importing. Heathrow not only lost the merchandise in baggage (I was expecting that) but the person carrying the case as well. :roll: It involves a slip of a pixie girl surrounded by 4 6 foot burly policemen with walkie talkies, 3 security guards and a host of absolutely useless customer care people who cracked under the pressure (my nagging) and became human for one second. It's hilariously funny now. It was an nightmare of a day.

Annie
Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

Annie the Pedlar

This is like the Grand National , or that song - "there's a hole in my bucket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa...." :cry:

To have a chip and pin terminal you need a merchant account. To have a merchant account you need a buisness account.
I've managed very nicely so far without one, thank you.

So the question is - can any one recommend a Bank doing a nice deal on business accounts - like free would make my eyes light up, and no minimum amount of payments etc.
Pretty please
Annie

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Annie the Pedlar wrote:...or that song - "there's a hole in my bucket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa...." :cry:

To have a chip and pin terminal you need a merchant account. To have a merchant account you need a buisness account.
Strictly speaking, there's only a hole in your bucket if you now discover you need a chip and pin terminal to get a business account (which, of course, you don't).

Annie the Pedlar

Are you sure about that :wink: Have you read all the terms and conditions? I've only got to page three paragraph 217 of the 5th suggestion thrown up by money supermarket dot com.

I just want my mummy....... :cry:

Annie

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

Our business account is with Lloyds which was free for the first 18 months after that I just threatended to move it elsewhere if they charged us, we are still with Lloyds. Why dont you try the bank that your personal account is with see what they offer.
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Jackie Phillips

Alliance and Leicester do a good line in the free account apparently. They were at TORM advertising it a couple of times. I didn't go with it only because the nearest branch was too far away for regular use.

Annie the Pedlar

That's worth checking out as I already have an account with Alliance and Leicester.
Two birds etc.
You can use the Post office as a branch - oh I forgot they closed my Post Office last week.

I haven't really forgotten. I'm still fuming. My 5 minute walk to post parcels now takes a hour. Grrrrrr.
Annie

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Post by Kate Tiler »

We use Abbey - their business account is free - but don't whatever you do do what we did - opened a deposit account as well as an ordinary account & then got the paying in books mixed up... their charges for going overdrawn just about cancelled out all the money we had!

http://www.anbusiness.com/

Post all your cheques in, do banking online for the rest.
http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

Annie the Pedlar

Thanks Kate. I hate having multiple bank accounts. You think you've moved money from one to another and then find there's been a hitch - called a Saturday. :roll:
So - I'd have my business and merchant accounts for plastic and telephone payments,
Paypal for on line,
post the cheques to the business account,
which just leaves the cash.....
Alliance and Leicester accept depostits at the Post Office.
This last bit has become a bit hypothetical as where I live now there are no banks and now no Post Office so I'll be using the cash to buy my daily bread at my corner shop which is still running - but for how long since the Dark Force closed their Post Office....?
So Abbey is still a contender.....

Annie singing the hole in the bucket song again

KinnieKat

Post by KinnieKat »

'Back in time' doesn't work from the Cosmetics page. Love the site otherwise though. :D
A Worcester, a Worcester!
Blood for the Butcher!

KinnieKat

Post by KinnieKat »

Wrong one, it's from the Toys page.
A Worcester, a Worcester!
Blood for the Butcher!

Annie the Pedlar

Thanks KinnieKat.
All fixed now.
Oooo that was a sneaky liittle bug. I swear those little finger puppets come alive at midnight and run around unconnecting things. :wink:
Annie