Snide £20s , be aware they are very very good

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Snide £20s , be aware they are very very good

Post by Martin »

"we had a cracking w/end , what a great show, only downside for us was that some people there had some snide £20's and passed 4 of them on to us over the weekend , and cos it was so cold trade was a little slow anyway as most peops didn't wanna go shopping lol , that cant be helped though and everything else was great, friendly staff, cracking music and a fab tea /chill out tent infact everything to make a show work cant wait till next year ( 2 dayer maybe Cool ?) but as a small trader having discovered that 20% of our takings were fake means we're a bit stuffed and p*ssed off, so this season check any £20 note you handle, the snide ones are so good its unreal, one way to check is to slightly move the note in the light and watch the hologram, it should go from 20 to £ and back, the snide ones only show 20 not the £.
well going to unload the van now and drop my hot chocolate and cake covered uniform in to the dry cleaners lol, thanks to (mostly) everyone who came over to the stall to say high and cant wait till next year "

just posted this on the festival forum for the festy we just did, thought Id post it here as there are many small traders etc on here who may get caught out :evil:
"you dont make friends with salad!"

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

assuming they get caught out by note detector pens?
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

I've "heard" some of them can get past, these are so good you wouldnt believe :? , apparently they are also missing some embossed lettering over the hologram, but as I say, they are very very good so beware, probably going to burn mine on a small campfire tonight, though I may hold on to em and use em to light a campfire at cosmeston this weekend whilst boasting about how rich I am :P

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Mightn't the bank want to know about this sort of thing?

Jim

Post by Jim »

guthrie wrote:Mightn't the bank want to know about this sort of thing?
or the Police?
www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

I daresay they already do :lol: , but to be honest I have so little faith in their (the polices) ability to do anything other than chase people for speeding finesand having had contact with the plod around here for other things in the past (notin trouble lol but reporting things etc) that I cant really be bottied, call it apathy if you will, as for the bank , what will they do ? they know about it, they will destroy the notes ( rightly so lol :) ) but I feel that I want the job, after all Im the one that was skanked lol :P

JC Milwr

Post by JC Milwr »

We had one in the shop that looked great, but felt like it had sellotape on it.

The bank will take them, but you don't get anything back, and unless you can point out the person that gave it to you, it's not much use to the police either.
Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

I remember sitting in a Police Station (visiting) a few years ago, with £3M in front of me! 5 Bin bags of fake notes. I wonder if they counted them all, or was it a guess?
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

The Gingerbread Lady

Post by The Gingerbread Lady »

When i worked in the local Post Office the detector pens were useless, the only way we could tell a 'real' £20 was to tear the note a little at the top - if the metal strip doesnt tear its genuine. some of the less good fakes have a hologram of the queen looking like a muppet.
Also be aware of fake £1 coins, they are slightly lighter than a proper one but you can only tell by rubbing it with another coin, the gold colouring comes off to reveal a silvery metal underneath. As if life for us traders wasn't hard enough already :evil:
Gingerbrede washed down with mead - it can't get much better than this!

The Gingerbread Lady

Post by The Gingerbread Lady »

When i worked in the local Post Office the detector pens were useless, the only way we could tell a 'real' £20 was to tear the note a little at the top - if the metal strip doesnt tear its genuine. some of the less good fakes have a hologram of the queen looking like a muppet.
Also be aware of fake £1 coins, they are slightly lighter than a proper one but you can only tell by rubbing it with another coin, the gold colouring comes off to reveal a silvery metal underneath. As if life for us traders wasn't hard enough already :evil:
Gingerbrede washed down with mead - it can't get much better than this!

James Bretlington

Post by James Bretlington »

The detector pens are being fooled a lot of the time these days because the notes are being runned with a hand lotion that foxes the pen. We had that in the US when I worked retail. Found a fake $50 bill in the takings when cashing up at the bank.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

And fluro/UV tests are spoiled as most laundry powders have fluro chemicals in them which rubs into the notes carried in clothing so there is no distinguishing element.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Pete the Pong

Post by Pete the Pong »

The very simple way that I've been told (and use) is by touch.
Real notes have a very slightly embossed area over the "Bank of England" wording on the top. Its a very quick way of subtly checking each one. If the bank note "feels" wrong -then it just well might be!
Having said that, in over 35 years of trading I've never had a dud note yet. Either that, or the forgeries were so good that wherever I spent them didn't notice either!
Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

red razors

Post by red razors »

i have no idea if english notes are like this, but old irish notes and the euro ones have it so i imagine the principle holds. if you run a fingernail over the areas that look like woodblock, you should be able to feel ridges. most fakes can't do that.