"Shrub"

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

"Shrub"

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:34 pm

When I was in Colonial Williamsburg earlier this year we dined on "Chicken Pot Pie", and syllabub, both from original 18th century recipes. I have modern forms of recipe for both these, but cannot find, either online, or in my 60 odd cookery books, including Mrs. Beeton, any reference to "shrub" which I had to drink. It's a bit like sherbert, and Slush puupies, otherwise known as "brain freeze". Anybody help, or point me to a source?

S.

DomT

Postby DomT » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:57 pm

Still served in most Cornish pubs (normaly with Rum Hicks 125 proof or Pussers for choice, normal 40% types just cant cut through the sweetness of shrub) Shrub is a cordial made by mixing various herbs with sugar and brandy.

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/partysupplies/ ... ylf--.html

If you google J.R.Phillips and shrub you sould find plenty of sources.

No idea if the two are the same but certainly drinking 'Rum and Shrub' is a very old tradition and would fit the time period.
As to what those various herbs are, sorry no idea. J.R.Phillips keeps it a trade secret these days.

"Sir, I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. "

"To hear one voice clearly, we must have freedom to hear them all."

Dom Twist. Black Company, Kernow Levy, Team KGB and freelance idiot.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks for the info, DomT. However, I don'think what I drank was the same. It was a fruit sorbet/slush, but more liquid. I think it might be possible to use a melted home-made fruit sorbet, but was hoping for a recipe.

I think, at the back of my mind, I have read of the "Shrub" that you mention.

S.

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:59 pm

try googling for frozen shrub drink; there were a few references there which might help. including one that said that shrub is just american for sherbet.

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:58 pm

Brilliant - thank you - found just the thing I think I had. (There are some made with rum, but I know mine was non-alcoholic 'cos I can't drink - boo - and I checked.)

S.

Cream-T

Postby Cream-T » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:07 pm

In addition to DomT's post - apparently, the tradition of drinking "rum & shrub" has a smuggling background: the barrels of "duty-free" rum were often "stored" by sinking them just offshore when the Excise Men were too active. The barrels could then be recovered when the coast was clear. Unfortunately, this could lead to the rum being fouled with sea water (yuck!). Of course, this was no good reason not to drink it, but in order to make the briny rum more palatable, a measure of shrub was often added.

Cheers!
T.

http://www.milwr.org - extremitatem acutam ad hostibus!

Return to “Food and Drink”