meat fruit

Moderator: Moderators

Handbag

meat fruit

Postby Handbag » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:39 pm

hello there

ive just come back from a banquet in Stockholm and as part of the menu we were served with "Meat fruit" - as in meat/fish pate made to look like fruit. ive seen this on that Heston Blumenthal show and wanted to try making them. now i have tried eating them i REALLY want to try to make them!

so im asking 2 things really.

1. does anyone have a useable recipe
2. where does the original recipe come from, ie what evidence is there for this being a medieval dish

all help gratefully received!!

thanks

Hannah

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Re: meat fruit

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:38 am

Red Razors is your girl for this one- made fantastic Pommes D'ore at Kentwell main event last year, someone squeak loud enough to be heard in the Emerald Isle... :wink:

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Tudor - Pommes

Veal and spices and raisins, bound with egg and made into balls.

Boiled/poached in cloth to keep shape.

Dried in front of the roasting fire, until surface is no longer glistening.

-

Batter coloured with parsley juice slowly poured over the meat ball as it is rotated in front of the fire, heat until cooked, repeat process a few times. Cook until turns bright green and sometimes the burning makes it look like a baked apple.

Quite nice really and the public usually did a double take.

The parsely does not affect the taste either.

Was hoping to find some pics, maybe Gandi will oblige.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:11 pm

¶Poumes.
¶Take fayre buttys of Vele & hewe hem, and grynd hem in a morter, & wyth þe olkys of eyroun, & with þe whyte of eyroun; an caste þer-to powder Pepyr, Canel, Gyngere, Clowys powþer, & datys y-mynced, Safroun, & raysonys of Coraunce, an sethe in a panne wyth fayre water, an let it boyle; þan wete þin handys in Raw eyroun, þan take it an rolle it in þin hondys, smaller or gretter, as þow wolt haue it, an caste it in-to boyling water, an let boyle y-now; þan putte it on a Spete round, an lete hem rosty; þen take flowre an olkys of eyroun, an þe whyte, an draw hem þorwe a straynowre, an caste þer-to pouder Gyngere, an make þin bature grene with þe Ius of Percely, or Malwys, in tyme of ere Whete, an caste on þe pommys as þey turne a-boute, & serue forth.

variations run through late medieval, Elizabethan and on, simulating apples, pears etc.

The above is included in "two fifteenth century recipe books", F J Furnivall, Early English Text Society

Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 pm

wonderful!

thankyou!!

]:) ]:)

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Great photo J...thanks for that!

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Gandi's photo, not mine, although I was turning the small spit, so it was an essential role ;-)

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Really dumb question: How is the parsley juice made?

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 pm

best results have been from macerating the parsley (stems as well as leaves) then grinding in a mortar along with small quantities of hot water. the resultant pulp then squeezed out and the liquid used.

We've tried all sorts of things from the simple method above, to distillation and using alcohol, but the brute force method just works best. Admittedly you do end up with a lot of particulate in the liquid, but this can be filtered out through a clean cloth if needed, but it makes little difference to this recipe. Variations with differing amounts of warm water have been tried, doesn't make a huge difference to the amount extracted, but does change the density of the colour achieved (as would seem to be obvious!)

The extraction is nowhere near perfect and the pulp still retains colour and flavour for use in other recipes afterwards....just make sure you have clean hands when you squeeze it out :twisted:

The bowl of batter that you can see in the picture probably used 3 large bunches of parsley (about 80g sale weight I think)

G23b might be ably to add to this as he provided ref's from artist treatises for colour extraction whilst we were debating the finer points of this recipe.

HTH

Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Some of the cheaper greens, saps from parlsey and rue etc, were simply beaten and strained through a cloth, however there is always more than one way to skin a cat, so whatever works in reason. We tried chopping then bashing, but at the end of the day it all ended up much the same.

What is odd, is the intensity of the colour, very bright.

red razors

Postby red razors » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:34 pm

thanks for pimping out my limited cooking abilities, lucy :D i actually got the notion to do pommes dorys after seeing jorge making them at HCP.
i used spinach to colour mine rather than parsley though, partially macerated then wrapped in a cloth and squeezed. i thought the batter turned out a little funny but those that ate them said it was fine. for a first go they didn't turn out half bad!
i can't find the picture of them though... :|

Return to “Food and Drink”