Channel 4 Heston's Feasts - Tuesdays & Repeating on Satu

Postby Wiblick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:34 pm

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/hest ... 7_p_1.html

last night's was Victorian, repeated 7pm Saturday

next week: Medieval 9pm Tuesday 10th

Eric the well read

Postby Eric the well read » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi,
I found it very interesting, but would have thought that somewhere in the menu would have been a mushroom or two!
Regards
Eric

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 pm

The listing in Radio Times for next weeks medieval one mention chocolate cutlery. Doesn't sound very medieval to me or am I missing something :?:

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 pm

I didn't see the Victorian one but read the description on the website, bit of a tit really...

Tracey

Postby Tracey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:19 pm

It was quite funny - but more about the excesses of the time, rather than the "norm" and then making them even more excessive.

Tray

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Just watched the medieval one. Lots of nonsense about belief in a flat earth and witch burning etc. Ho hum :roll:

Was very baffled by the edible cutlery, candles and napkins. All jolly good fun but seemed to have been imported in from another programme entirely :?

Note to Mr Blumenthal: They didn't have chocolate in the Middle Ages (at least not in Europe).
Last edited by Simon Atford on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Simon Atford wrote:
Note Mr Blumenthal: They didn't have chocolate in the Middle Ages (at least not in europe).

But that's not what he's about. He's being inspired by the age, and the edible cutlery was inspired by the medieval idea of having food that looked like something else completely. He did also cook a proper medieval recipe for lampreys, before adapting it for a modern meal.

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:00 pm

JC Milwr wrote:
Simon Atford wrote:
Note Mr Blumenthal: They didn't have chocolate in the Middle Ages (at least not in europe).

But that's not what he's about. He's being inspired by the age, and the edible cutlery was inspired by the medieval idea of having food that looked like something else completely. He did also cook a proper medieval recipe for lampreys, before adapting it for a modern meal.

But what's the point in being inspired by a particular historical period if you then go off and make something not used (or even available) in that period :?:

"The Supersizers Go...." with Giles Coren and Sue Perkins (last year on BBC2) had a similar format but was miles better.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:50 pm

He was probably inspired by such things as cups made from sugar, melted and moulded into wine glasses.

Chocolate would be much easier to make IMHO in a modern kitchen where melting and setting temperatures are low enough to not burn and molten sugar can caramelise in seconds if it goes beyond a certain temperature.

edited to clarify I meant that chocolate was not in use in Tudor Europe, but would be a good modern substitute for moulding things.

:D
Last edited by gregory23b on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

red razors

Postby red razors » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:04 pm

has he put pomme dorys onto his menu yet? the day we visited HCP his seriously hot sous-chef was there learning how to make them.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:29 pm

gregory23b wrote:He was probably inspired by such things as cups made from sugar, melted and moulded into wine glasses.

Chocolate would be much easier to make IMHO.

Not very easy to make without cocoa beans which were unknown in Europe untill the C16th. Even the Aztecs used chocolate as a drink and not a solid food.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 pm

I think what Jorge means is that you are much less likely to burn yourself working with chocolate than hot sugar. If you have never done any hot sugar work you may not be aware how high the boiling temperature of sugar syrups or honey are and how badly you can burn yourself.

Sophia :twisted:

*Who is going to attempt a "gingerbread" made from boiling honey and powdered ginger which is pulled like boiled sweets mixture next week despite past interesting experiences :roll: :wink: *

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:09 pm

"Not very easy to make without cocoa beans which were unknown in Europe untill the C16th. Even the Aztecs used chocolate as a drink and not a solid food."

er, yes I know, I meant as Sophia said, today it would be easier to use chocolate to mould as the melting and setting temps are very much lower.
Molten sugar is like napalm and I am not overstating it, it retains a lot of heat and will simply remove skin. I will edit the post for clarity.

At Hampton Court where I work in the Tudor kitchens we often do sugar work and the hardest thing is to get it just right. Were I to be a modern chef hoping to mould things I would not opt for sugar unless I knew exactly what i was doing. On an additional note I also suspect that a pure sugar goblet would be seen as 'unhealthy', chocolate less so. Mr Blumenthal is using methods inspired by Tudor recipes and to some extent the work we do at the palace, not necessarily replicating them, as we have seen.

"the day we visited HCP his seriously hot sous-chef was there learning how to make them."

But not as hot as the oh so hot Tudor cooks, AHEM!!!! 8)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Whilst Mr Blumenthal may indeed be making dishes inspired by recipes history rather than attempting to replicate them the programme does not always make this clear. The lanphrey recipe which combined both medieval ideas and moden methods from Latvia was interesting as was the pigeon pie.

The chocolate candles and cutlery however came across as a modern idea crowbarred into a medieval themed feast.

The main thing I found irritating was the daft links about witch burning, flat earths and the Black Death. If you are going to be 'inspired' by a period's cooking then trotting out a load of tired cliches is a funny way of showing it.

As I said I've seen other superior programmes with a similar theme before. As well as the "Super Sizers Go..." series I also recall Clarrisa Dixon Wright cookng recipes from the Forme of Curry as part of BBC 4's Medieval Season.

red razors

Postby red razors » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:00 pm

gregory23b wrote:But not as hot as the oh so hot Tudor cooks, AHEM!!!! 8)

of course not!!! a chef in whites [even if he is hot and tattooed, sigh] versus cooks in doublets; there is no competition. doublets and pynade ftw :)

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:01 pm

I like bits of it...and the bits that I don't like are educational.
I was uneasy about the turtle eating, even though it was quite above board, and I've had trouble getting the thoughts of the texture of the kaolin covered potatoes and the the texture of the 'plums' out of my head, and not in a good way. :?

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Simon Atford wrote:"The Supersizers Go...." with Giles Coren and Sue Perkins (last year on BBC2) had a similar format but was miles better.

It was sensasionalist crap, they only went for the weirdest shite they could find in the books, used modern cooks who dint understand the recipes and didn't actually put meals together rather assembled all this odd stuff on a table. A college did some Restoration stuff with them, guided them through a pukka meal, taught them the correct manners and the meal was lovely, everyone had a good time but did it make it too air, did it 8olloxs all they wanted was Giles flicking calfs testicles stuffed with spinach att Sue whilst they both got pi55ed and misbehave like chimps at a tea party.
Heston at least says it was only 'inspired' by rather than 'this is what they ate ooh aren't people from history odd/disgusting/goddamn perverts.......' erm rant over go about your business nothing to see here

That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.'

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Hraefn wrote:
Simon Atford wrote:"The Supersizers Go...." with Giles Coren and Sue Perkins (last year on BBC2) had a similar format but was miles better.

It was sensasionalist crap, they only went for the weirdest shite they could find in the books, used modern cooks who dint understand the recipes and didn't actually put meals together rather assembled all this odd stuff on a table. A college did some Restoration stuff with them, guided them through a pukka meal, taught them the correct manners and the meal was lovely, everyone had a good time but did it make it too air, did it 8olloxs all they wanted was Giles flicking calfs testicles stuffed with spinach att Sue whilst they both got pi55ed and misbehave like chimps at a tea party...

Well I liked it anyway :oops: It may have had little or no educational value but I found it entertaining (a purely subjective opinion of course). I suppose I find the sight of people getting p*ssed on TV funny (even if Sue Perkins was putting it on most of the time IMHO). It's probbaly a "guilty pleasure" or something.

To be fair to Heston Blumenthal I probbally did watch "...Medieval Feast" with a certain ammount of predudice after reading about the chocolate cutlery in Radio Times. The fact that medieval is my period probbally made me a bit wary as well.

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:24 pm

red razors wrote:has he put pomme dorys onto his menu yet? the day we visited HCP his seriously hot sous-chef was there learning how to make them.

Poumes become plomes....sorry plums. Again just using it as inspiration.
http://tudorcook.blogspot.com/2007/05/photo-love-story.html

That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.'

red razors

Postby red razors » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 pm

just watched the tudor one. think i may have been distracted by the nice tattoos as he is definitely not as good-looking as i remember! :shock: either that or the ratty tache is making him look insipid.
interesting programme though, i found it very entertaining.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 am

All celebraty chefs must die.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:09 pm

"Whilst Mr Blumenthal may indeed be making dishes inspired by recipes history rather than attempting to replicate them the programme does not always make this clear."

Totally agree, I rarely watch him or many tv 'history cook' programmes, I am not that interested in Heston's stuff, but was pointing out the way he sometimes works and yes if not made clear can be misleading.

"The main thing I found irritating was the daft links about witch burning, flat earths and the Black Death. If you are going to be 'inspired' by a period's cooking then trotting out a load of tired cliches is a funny way of showing it. "

Which is why I rarely watch such things, sadly too predictable.

His sous chefs were great blokes, didn't get in the way and we managed to teach them a few tricks.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Thing is I did find some of the items interesting, espechally the lampreys (is there any evidence that anyone ever actually died of a surfeit of them :?: ) but these were undermined by the silliness and lazy cliches.

red razors

Postby red razors » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:14 pm

i thought he did the concept of illusion foods very well.

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Now this is a cockatrice
and from the spare parts, a Hieronymus Bosch cheese dream
Images courtesy of Gandi.

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:40 pm

best 2 or 3 hours spent after work that I can remember......dismantling animals then creating new ones all whilst getting wildly tipsy with your mates....priceless.

Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:42 am

Any chance of another 'culinary cut 'n' shut' this year or is it spits full of swans in jerkins?
You could do porkpie in the shape of a frog with his head up his own rectum.........but that wouldn't take much work as I understand you already have one. :wink:

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:46 am

Hraefn wrote:Any chance of another 'culinary cut 'n' shut' this year or is it spits full of swans in jerkins?
You could do porkpie in the shape of a frog with his head up his own rectum.........but that wouldn't take much work as I understand you already have one. :wink:

lmao...new keyboard please git!

Yes we've got that in spades :roll: , so it'll be 'full spits, full spits' don't you know :twisted: :twisted:

Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

Meg

Postby Meg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Hraefn...

:D

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:49 pm

ImageImage

Return to “Food and Drink”