What do MOPs mean when they ask if something is real?

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

What do MOPs mean when they ask if something is real?

Postby Simon Atford » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:11 pm

This story got me thinking. Are some MOPs (members of the public) so used to seeing things that are faked in some way that they can't quite believe it when see re-enactors cooking real food on a real fire fighting with real (if blunt) weapons?

https://notalwaysright.com/reality-bite ... ers/70634/

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: What do MOPs mean when they ask if something is real?

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:53 pm

In my former living history roles I came to the conclusion that there are many factors at work here and the answer is far from simple.

There is the MOP who thinks they can "see through" what's being presented as if it were a conjuring trick: I heard one lady turn to her friend during a particularly fine archery display by my colleagues and she said "Of course, it's all done with magnets!" I had visions of an enormous industrial electro-magnet throbbing away behind the earthen butts and people's watches, belt buckles and keys heading for the targets . . .

Then there is the MOP who is simply determined to disbelieve everything being shown: one visitor commented very loudly that my goose feather fletchings were plastic and my ash wood bow was made of plywood. Even when I demonstrated the technique of wrapping the fletchings with fine thread and stroking the web back in place, then showed everyone the slightly less than straight grain in the wood of the bow, this chap still thought he was right. For him and people like him, nothing is ever "real".

Some younger people seem to use "real" to mean "authentic", since they have probably never seen or heard that word. So they mean "Is that really what they used/cooked with/ate/wore?" Such is the result of the modern education system and the abandonment of books/reading/literacy/language skills.

Then there is the hopeless case of the woman who believed I was a "real" monk and insisted several times that I hear her confession - reality got more than a little blurred at that point. Several other MOPs at other events insisted that I must be a real monk, or a priest, or a vicar, or something of the kind.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

knirirr

Postby knirirr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm

What I think the question means when applied to a weapon is some combination of:

1. Is that an original weapon from the period, an accurate modern reproduction or some sort of fake wallhanger?
2. Is it still capable of being used for killing the enemy, i.e. is it a live-firing rifle or a sharp sword?

So, to avoid doubt I would answer with something like "this is an antique rifle made in $YEAR and is still capable of live firing if the proper ammunition can be found", "this sword is an exact copy of a $CENTURY sword in $MUSEUM, and has been blunted for safety", and so on.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:45 pm

knirirr wrote:What I think the question means when applied to a weapon is some combination of:

1. Is that an original weapon from the period, an accurate modern reproduction or some sort of fake wallhanger?
2. Is it still capable of being used for killing the enemy, i.e. is it a live-firing rifle or a sharp sword?

My experience in the context of having various WW1 kit and weapons on display is much the same - the question of something being "real" is generally used in the meaning of original, eg they ask if the Vickers gun is "real" meaning an original period weapon as opposed to say a modern made look-a-like.

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

bonnacon

Postby bonnacon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 pm

This subject rears its head every now and again and is fascinating.
I will repeat a little tale I told some time ago - I was portraying a medieval character somewhere, I cannot now remember where nor can I remember who I was, but a chap came up to me, accompanied by his wife and two or three smallish kids. I was wearing wood framed spectacles at the time, and he looked at them and said to me in all seriousness "How do they work?" What could I say? I replied, in all seriousness, "You look through them", at which his wife grabbed his hand and took him and the children off somewhere else muttering something about being embarrased and looking an idiot.

I was immediately given a bo*****ng by my good lady who said I should have considered what the question really was and not how it was delivered. And of course it pained me then and it pains me to this day that she was absolutely right.

But there are times when the opportunity presents itself and a less than professional or helpful response is too much of a temptation . . .
:devil:

Vivimus vivamus!

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:17 pm

bonnacon wrote:But there are times when the opportunity presents itself and a less than professional or helpful response is too much of a temptation . . .
:devil:

My favoured response to "Is it real?" aimed at the Vickers is - "No, it's just a figment of your imagination..." :twisted:

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

fv1620

Postby fv1620 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:56 pm

I have two RUC armoured vehicles, one from 1956 & the other from 1966. To avoid the usual "is it real?" question, I have circumvented this with an FAQ board:

1. Is it real? - YES
2. Is it home-made? - NO
3. Does it float? - NO

None the less there is always a stream of people who feel that comprehensive tapping of much of the bodywork is needed to confirm the answer to FAQ No. 1.

After that there is often an assertion that:
1. I am not wearing a "real" uniform
2. I am dressed as a B Special, which I am not. The Reserve Force RUC was not the same thing.

Gobbler

Postby Gobbler » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Speaking as someone who has only recently became interested in historical re-enactments (and has not yet even attended their first historical event in costume) the question, ‘Is it real?’ seems to be quite a logical question to ask, as a way of opening dialogue.

To me, the question, ‘Is it real?’ reads as, ‘Is this item an historically authentic original item, on loan from a museum’s vault of exhibits, as opposed to a methodically researched replica made by you, the owner?’ Of course, lacking the correct subject-specific vocabulary, the member of the public is bound to simply ask, ‘Is it real?’

I know, personally, how hard it is to approach a complete stranger and then open a meaningful dialogue - especially when that person is dressed so differently to the social norm. (For example, how comfortable would you be in approaching a Jewish Rabbi or a Muslim woman, in a full-face burka, in the street and then start a conversation? I know that, sorry to say, I would feel very awkward indeed - even if I could muster the confidence.) I guess that, for many members of the public, approaching a historical reenactor at an event, they might feel somewhat similar. I am sure that the reason why you have been approached by members of the public is that they have seen your incredible outfits and have been wholly impressed by how you look and how you act: they truly want to find out a little more about what they have seen and find out more about your speciality. Acknowledge how awkward they must feel in their initial approach and just take it as a tremendous complement that they have made that first awkward step to talk with you, solely because your re-enactment is so truly astounding. :)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Gobbler wrote:I know, personally, how hard it is to approach a complete stranger and then open a meaningful dialogue - especially when that person is dressed so differently to the social norm. (For example, how comfortable would you be in approaching a Jewish Rabbi or a Muslim woman, in a full-face burka, in the street and then start a conversation? I know that, sorry to say, I would feel very awkward indeed - even if I could muster the confidence.) I guess that, for many members of the public, approaching a historical reenactor at an event, they might feel somewhat similar. I am sure that the reason why you have been approached by members of the public is that they have seen your incredible outfits and have been wholly impressed by how you look and how you act: they truly want to find out a little more about what they have seen and find out more about your speciality. Acknowledge how awkward they must feel in their initial approach and just take it as a tremendous complement that they have made that first awkward step to talk with you, solely because your re-enactment is so truly astounding. :)

Which is why is it very important to give sensible or at least witty answers to what may seem silly questions. Talking to the MOPs is one one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me and don't understand re-enactors who don't seem to want to do it and sit way behind a barrier and don't interact. We had an event a few years back where high winds curtailed many activities (we couldn't even put the camp properly) and whilst some others who shall remain nameless just sat down for most of the weekend at complained of boredom we chatted to the public. I call it engaging my historical anecdote mode and can do it even out of kit although it works best in kit.
Last edited by Simon Atford on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knirirr

Postby knirirr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:14 am

Gobbler wrote:To me, the question, ‘Is it real?’ reads as, ‘Is this item an historically authentic original item, on loan from a museum’s vault of exhibits, as opposed to a methodically researched replica made by you, the owner?’ Of course, lacking the correct subject-specific vocabulary, the member of the public is bound to simply ask, ‘Is it real?’

This is an interesting point, because I would understand many modern items to be "real" even if not "original", e.g. my Brown Bess. This was made in the very late 20th century (AFAIK) by Pedersoli but is nevertheless a working weapon quite capable of being used in exactly the same way as one made in the 18th century. It therefore differs significantly from one made from the outset to be an inert wallhanger, not least in the eyes of the law. Hence my answer above when I will attempt to reply with both the age of a weapon and its functionality.

Of course, in addition to "real" and "original" we've got "authentic" to think about. ;-)

SteveC

Postby SteveC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Gobbler wrote:I know, personally, how hard it is to approach a complete stranger and then open a meaningful dialogue - especially when that person is dressed so differently to the social norm.
<snip>
I guess that, for many members of the public, approaching a historical reenactor at an event, they might feel somewhat similar.

Talk to them first is what I try to do. Once you've broken the ice it's easier for them to ask the question they really want to.
One of the most experienced (+40 years at it) members of our group recommends having a prepared 'opening'. In his case, he often has a map and if he sees someone looking interested, he will ask them to show him what route they used to get to the event. Every persona has an appropriate question or statement to break the ice.
Once you're talking to them it's much easier to judge what they really mean by 'it is real'.

warrenzephaniah

Postby warrenzephaniah » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:04 am

This is an intriguing point, since I would comprehend numerous cutting edge things to be "genuine" regardless of the possibility that not "unique", e.g. my Brown Bess. This was made in the late twentieth century (AFAIK) by Pedersoli yet is by and by a working weapon very equipped for being utilized as a part of the very same path as one made in the eighteenth century.

(Spam link removed by moderator)

Frances Perry

Postby Frances Perry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:57 am

Agreed with the above.

Quite often the "is it a real xxxx" is actually not the question MOP want to ask but they don't really have it in their mind the correct question to ask as they might be embarrassed or a little worried about approaching someone dressed in "strange" clothing.

I actually prefer these MOPs, rather than the ones who say "what's that?" and then when you're half way through explaining what 'that' is lose interest and say "what's that?" about the next item on the table, and so on. A complete lack of interest in what I'm saying really gets on my nerves.

Oh, and those MOPs who actually have the knowledge and are clearly just testing your knowledge. To be clear, when one asks me a particularly unusual question for which I don't know the answer I usually say "that's a really good question. I'm afraid I don't know that answer to that one". Most assume all re-enactors are full-time history experts and are really, really surprised to hear that I have a full-time job which isn't history related.

Oh, oh, oh and the ones who use your answer to go off on one about how they watched a documentary on History Channel about XXX and how they know ALLLLLLLL about what period of history I'm referring to and blah blah blah *insert tired anecdotes and history clichés*. I just nod and smile to those ones.

http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

knirirr

Postby knirirr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am

Frances Perry wrote:Oh, and those MOPs who actually have the knowledge and are clearly just testing your knowledge.

That's always a pain.
One one occasion, as I the person I was portraying wasn't British, I was tested on the appropriate language as well. Luckily I had a better knowledge of it than my questioner. ;-)

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:22 pm

Then again, the spinning guild were taken to task by a re-enactor on the grounds that our wheels were reproductions :)

Frances Perry

Postby Frances Perry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 am

FionaDowson wrote:Then again, the spinning guild were taken to task by a re-enactor on the grounds that our wheels were reproductions :)

Errrmmm... isn't everything we have a re-production!!??!

http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

Return to “Friends and Gossip”