Mid Victorian Court Sword with split blade

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Mid Victorian Court Sword with split blade

Post by Neibelungen »

I took delivery of a mid victorian court sword for refurbishment today.

An early style cut steel court sword, with beaded grips and large beaded knuckle guard. Nothing to unusual, but it had the weirdest blade I've seen.

About 1/2" below the hilt the blade is seperated into two pieces with a screw joint. It's as though it was designed to have interchangable hilts for the blade. I've never come across anything like this before. My first impression was that the blade had been broken, but it's a perfect joint and the edges are ground perfectly flush.

Any body able to shed some light on this ?

Andrew

tonw

Post by tonw »

A picture?
--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

If I'm correct, you're assumption that it's for changing the hilt is perfectly correct - sometimes the sword would be worn with the basket hilt, and sometimes with a much simpler hilt (giving the sword the classic t profile, if you get my drift), depending on the occasion. Certainly done with military swords, and so highly likely to be the same for a court sword.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

My thought was that possible the blade was changable with a sword stick.

Court swords don't tend to have different types of hilts (ie, basket, stirup etc) and merely differentiate as to their ornamentation.

It was more the idea of having the blade asctually split into two parts that was so wierd. Not that these were really designed for actual use and are pretty ornamental, but they are still functional small swords.

I'll try and sort out a picture tommorrow.