Rat de Cave

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Dave B
Post Knight

Rat de Cave

Post by Dave B »

My mum recintly gave me a 'Rat de Cave'. a french candle holder, which she picked up in an abbey gift shop becuase she thought it might interest me. The bumf with it suggests it goes back to about the norman conquest or more. It would be nice to thing so as it is a very usefull bit of kit.

does anyone know anything?
Attachments
Rat de cave0012.jpg
Rat de cave0013.jpg
Rat de cave0014.jpg
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

sierrakitten

Post by sierrakitten »

Google comes up with...
(any good?)

burgundyonline.com/accessories3.html

This candle-stand called « Cellar-rat » by the French, was a working tool used in all Burgundy wine cellars.
Its origin stems from far back in the past. In the year 1000 the monks of the Abbey of Cluny used it already and an antique model can be seen in the Ochier Museum in Cluny.
Sierrakitten

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

That the chap, but all they have is the text of the leaflet which I posted. I was interested in any provenance etc.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

sierrakitten

Post by sierrakitten »

Try the museum?
Sierrakitten

Gandi

Post by Gandi »

A question to ask yourself Dave is why does it allow you to adjust the height of the candle?

Surely if you're just using it as a candlestick, how high the candle is is immaterial?
Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Imagine hanging it on the side of a barrel.

If the top of the candel is in the neck of the spiral as pictured then it is quite resistant to blowing out. If it is right down in the spiral it is hard to light and burns the thing it hangs from. if it is up tall the wax misses the tray and also you loose the sheltering effect.

There's no doubting that it works, I use it a lot. The question is one of provenance and do we believe a french museum gift shop.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Post by Lord High Everything Esle »

If you were distilling using a candle it might be useful to be able to keep it at the same distance from the objects.
Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Post by Kate Tiler »

Dave - Jack will probably kill me for passing on limner's secrets, (not to mention what Jorge will say!) but having an adjustable height candle is essential if you are using a water-filled globe to increase the light cast by the candle in order to see to write or paint by.

Once you have your globe set up in the correct position so that the candle shines through & onto the page you are working at, within half an hour the blessed candle has burned down & you would have to rearrange your whole setup - unless - ha ha! You can twiddle the spiral turney up thing & raise the candle - without risking the whole lot falling over by adding another book to the pile that it is sat on...

We (Jack & me) are going to use these for that exact purpose next year :) Don't tell anyone or we will have to kill you.....
http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

Gandi

Post by Gandi »

exactly Kate, they do work for just that purpose, but I've only ever seen them from the C18th/C19th on and then associated with lacemaking.

I don't have the book to hand, but the antique collectors club book 'Fire & Light' which documents the extensive collection of John Caspel(?) is probbly the best place to look for details.
Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

How bizarre. I was in a pub in Swallowcliffe near Old Wardour castle yesterday and they had just this sort of candlestick on the table. Made by a bloke who lives in the village. I can get price details if anyone's interested?
"I never said that I was here to help."

Jenn R

Post by Jenn R »

Ooooh yes please!!! Thanks Matt.

Post Centurion

Guess who is bringing tousands of them to TORM and NLHF ?

At £6 each (half price Xmas offer)

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Post Centurion

Yes tousand and tousands

Jenn R

Post by Jenn R »

Oooooh....give me a clue? :D

Matt, sorry you don't need to find out about them, thanks anyway!

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Fair enough. Wouldn't take the bread from LHEE's mouth :wink:

Mind you, the one's I saw were about twice the size of the one's in Dave's picture (unless he has 'tiles of unusual size' on his walls).
"I never said that I was here to help."

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

go on Mr H

I'll have a couple
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Medicus Matt wrote:Fair enough. Wouldn't take the bread from LHEE's mouth :wink:

Mind you, the one's I saw were about twice the size of the one's in Dave's picture (unless he has 'tiles of unusual size' on his walls).

In fact those are small (4") tiles (Do you like them - I just re-did the kitchen). For scale the candle in there is the standard household size and is half burnt.

The whole thing to the top is about 5 1/2" high

Kurt's uncle Bob.