How to help a beginner

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

WorkMonkey

Re: How to help a beginner

Postby WorkMonkey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:49 am

sara1459 wrote:
2) Is there any advice you can give someone to prevent *snip* getting hurt

Go for the face..put's them down quicker. Then run like a pheasant across a motorway, incoherently and flailing wildly.

That is all.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Entire martial arts systems have been based upon this premise.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:52 pm

A friend of mine was once shown a martial arts move that was meant to render his breastplate useless. As far as I could work out, the guy intended coming from below, wriggling under the breastplate and doing an impersonation of a squirrel. Whenever someone mentions unarmoured combat we all mime the squirrel throw.

The same guy also gave my mate a few pointers on how to use a quarterstaff properly. Apparently one of the most effective moves it hitting yourself in the head.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:11 pm

You've just reminded me of the little chap in perfect shiny full plate, who told Big Barry from the irish lot that he might as well not bother as there was no way that a quarterstaff could hurt a man in full plate.

Big mistake.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Wayland2002

Postby Wayland2002 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:59 am

craig1459 wrote:You could always ask me!

Why on earth would she want to do that? If she did it wouldn't be a surprise when she turns up in full kit to give you a battering :twisted: :twisted:

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:12 am

Wayland2002 wrote:
Why on earth would she want to do that? If she did it wouldn't be a surprise when she turns up in full kit to give you a battering :twisted: :twisted:
It wouldn't be a surprise - the first person to teach her bill was Allan Harley :lol:

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Wayland2002

Postby Wayland2002 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:54 am

craig1459 wrote:
Wayland2002 wrote:
It wouldn't be a surprise - the first person to teach her bill was Allan Harley :lol:

We're all doomed..........Sara has a bill and Mags has a falchion..........doomed I tell you.

Ok where was that women off the battlefield thread...............

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:53 pm

sara1459 wrote:
2) Is there any advice you can give someone to prevent *snip* getting hurt

Use a gun. A big gun. preferably indirect fire so only the Forward Observer is likely to get hurt.

Or a rocket, a big rocket. Or a plane

Pay someone else to fight for you and stay at home. Or pay someone else to use a gun from a long way away whilst you stay at home

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:38 pm

sara1459 wrote:2) Is there any advice you can give someone to prevent them from hurting (God forbid) or getting hurt

I would say balance. Keep a wide-ish stance with your body-weight central and don't lean forwards (much) when attacking.

This means that your body is upright and you are in a good position to back-off quickly if you see a bit of a wild-blow coming your way - or your opponent moves forward to attack at the same time as you. It will also mean that you are less likely to get pulled forwards into other weapons if your bill tangles with an opponents.

And when in a line, don't make the mistake of just watching the guy in front of you - keep your eyes darting side-to-side as you'll probably be in reach of the guys to either side of him too.

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Keep your head still, do not duck and weave because you might duck into a safe shoulder shot and turn it into a teeth masher.

If yout oppo knows where you head is they know where to avoid.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:47 pm

Stand behind people bigger, better and more stupid than you are and then claim the victory for yourself afterwards. It works for me.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:59 pm

If you can't find a weapon - steal the one that's sitting in our porch

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:07 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Stand behind people bigger, better and more stupid than you are and then claim the victory for yourself afterwards. It works for me.

how do you find someone more stupid than you? :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm

Shout A Lancaster A Lancaster and see who shouts back :twisted:

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:34 pm

lovely planes them

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:37 pm

Sarah, keep a cool head, this is your best weapon, don't be afraid but try and be aware of what is going on, this is especially important in the thick of things, one on one is a different matter as your sole focus is the enemy.

It can be quite an experience being in the thick of things watching the melee, most of the time you are in good company and people will look out for you, esp if of the noobish variety.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:37 pm

Stand next to scoooooooooootttttttiiiiiiissssssssh, poke somebody and duck behind him.

Stay aware, stay focused, and stay with you oppos, as this will allow you to take part in teh thick of it and also be protected if its get to serious an dthey think that you may need a bit of back up; but more importantly. Listen, you have a lot of expereinced people you can draw information from in your groups and thos egroups that you know, and when ever you can cross train with other groups as well so you get to experience other fighting styles as well.

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 pm

Never be afraid to die! If your bit of the fighting is getting, in your opinion, too hairy and scary, suffer a quick coronary and keel over. Very few people make a habit of hitting corpses and you may get re-cycled. If this happens, move to another part of the fight and join in again.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 pm

How do I find someone more stupid than me, easy I look around me and if they aren't of the pure blood of Derry i know they're stupid. :twisted:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

stephen wootten

Postby stephen wootten » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:36 pm

sugested items for a poley peeps from a swordy (full harness now:) )
1) metal guantletts they just say will have beer afterwards in each hand
2) metal lid, as above but its supprising how much of a distraction an arrow landing on your bonce is
3) good jack or a brigantine, brigs are easy to make and very customisable/adjustable/aufentik.
4) find your local freindly sargent at arms and smile and ask to be shown the ropes, if theyre any good youll have lots of fun and stay out of trouble to boot

i have found from several different souces that the difference between over hand and under hand is about angles of rest when holding said pole arm, have found that thums together means pointing down and thumbs apart means pointing upwards, so i agree with others on that bit,
However if your fingrs are getting tired surley that means time to take a break as to quote the pc police 'tiredness kills'.

as everyone else has said were here to have fun in our own way, so have fun and party harder afterwards.

im in a barbute with flur de lys on if u see me around :)
steve

cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

A Bayard, A Bayard!!!!!

guthries Sardukarr Bashar

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Another recommendation for the use of a bevor.

Sara, you are a little taller than me, but still shorter than most of the people you will be facing. A bevor is a must because of this, i've only left my bevor off once & Nev clattered my jaw in a training session - it hurt!

As to the age-old question of 'under or over', go with whatever you are most comfortable with. If you can train using both then great, but forcing an unnatural position on yourself will make you feel wrong & potentially make you less safe. That's assuming the rules governing that particular event allow both styles of course!

Fed sometimes use the 'newbie' marker of a white rag tied around the left arm, something i wholeheartedly agree with.

If using a barbute then in my opinion a good strong & thick maille standard is mandatory. The amount of people i see wearing a barbute with a breastplate & no neck protection is worrying. If a weapon hits the upper part of a breastplate there is the chance it can slide upwards rather than 'stick' as with a soft jack. If the weapon slides upwards it is heading for the throat, this is why i personally prefer a sallet & bevor arrangement, but everyone has different tastes.

Finally, give Craig a fat lip & a black eye the night before a battle & then parade him around the beer tent saying "I did this" & you'll have blokes tripping over each other trying to avoid you! :lol:

Sorry Craig!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sir Fletcher Phelps

Postby Sir Fletcher Phelps » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 pm

Best advice I've seen in ages Cleggy - apart from the fact I've sprayed gin and tonic all over my keyboard! :lol:

Befrocked, bearded dypsomaniac who glows in the dark

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:11 pm

P.S.

Sarah, before you buy a jack, Vikki has one she made for herself but now doesn't want to use. It's quite a thick jack, too thick for me with all my plate but you may be interested?
Which events are you doing & we'll bring it along to see if it fits?

All hand stitched as well.... :D

X

Postby X » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:24 am

Someone suggested buying a book on cloud recognition - my advice would be a book on Interesting Native Grasses of the British Isles. We tend to tell our newbies to die face down as this way it's far more difficult for someone to drop a weapon on your face. It happened to one member of our group several years ago and cracked one of his teeth in half.

I would also echo Cleggy's advice about the bevor - the only time I've ever been to A&E as walking wounded it was because someone hit me in the face with an axe, resulting in the need for seven stitches. If had had not been wearing a bevor, the blow would have removed my jaw instead of merely smashing metalwork into my face.

If you are short, do not stand beside someone who is tall. This is because you then give anyone opposite the pair of you the choice between hitting him in a legitimate target area and possibly being deflected into your face, or hitting you in a legitimate target area and him in the testicles.

Minimum kit for me is metal helmet, good jack (not some crappy floppy thing that wilts at a stern glance), and some kind of hand protection.

Overarm or underarm - whatever you are safest doing. There are arguments for and against both.

Good luck - and enjoy yourself.

Return to “General History”