Swords

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Tym

Swords

Post by Tym »

Why is there a lack of sword makers for the 17th century?
Only seem to be one or two that make battlefield safe weopons. Also why are they more expensive in comparisson to other periods?

I would like to hear what others have to say, Or if you do make for a other period could you make for the 17th Century.
( I am not talking about fancy rapiers and the like more the basic sword for the grunt)

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Post by Skevmeister »

Moved to General History
ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Armour class do very good hangers for 17th century and it's been my experience that other sword makers will happily make something up if you show them what it is you want.
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

It is also my understanding that the two main C17th bodies approve their suppliers so they get the bulk of the trade as the members will go to them first to be certain of getting somehting thta wil be allowed on the field.

As Alan says pretty much any swordmaker wil do c17th as much as any era if you ask them (and wil normally be glad of doing soemthing a bit different!).
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

ECWS Doesnt even ahve an official sword policy

At Regimental level speaking for my own we apporved 3 patterns of hanger selected one supplier told em thats what the lads could ahve and thats it .

Job done
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Tym

Post by Tym »

Live in the Shrewsbury area can anyone give details to a local armour/sword maker?

Thanks