What makes you do it ??

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

saxon

What makes you do it ??

Postby saxon » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Most of us tend to 'home' in on a particular period in history that we concentrate on to re-enact or whatever ............. what is it about the particular period you yourself chooses to do ? do you feel more of a connection somehow with that era or does it just hold more of an interest for you than any other ??? ................. sorry gettin all philosophical :lol: just curious as to WHY we pick the periods we choose to re-create ..... :wink:

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:02 pm

I think there may be a re-enactor gene...We went to an ECW do as MOP's....fancied trying it & joined..but would probably have done the same whatever the period....later made conscious decision to join NFOE as well, based on Northwest Passage being one of my favourite films.....
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Abigail

Postby Abigail » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:11 pm

I was dragged up not far from Bosworth and had a fantastic Headmaster at Junior School who really got my imagination going on the War of the Roses so its been something I grew up around. Even my High School had WoTR connections, it's called Hastings and the Black Maunch was our school badge!

Quayn

Postby Quayn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:29 pm

I tried my hand at dark ages, all that hair and brutality. Not for me though and I had far less fun than I do on WOTR. I do it because,
a) It's a social outing that doesn't revolve around a pub, though does include one.
b) I can have a good laugh with people over a simple subject such as how windy the last event was, thus not having to actually have anything interesting to say.
c) I get to play with weapons, most of us like this aspect though a lot deny their inner child.
d) I get to dress up, same as c) though many will call it 'authentic attire' not dress up.
e) I can walk into a beer tent surrounded by huge 'biker-like' men, plonk my pet log on the bar and order two drinks (one being for my pet log) without a question raised.
f) I get to tell kids that what their parents told them about knights and armour is all wrong and educate them correctly. (see MOP pets.)
g) I get a sword or armour from my dear old mum on my birthday whilst other people get more socks.
h) MEAD, 'nuff said
I) I get asked where I got such a bruise from and reply with big guy with a spear or a battlefield name.
j) Battlefield antics. From those times I actually get a hit in to the times I lose my bill and have to hide behind bigger boys.
k) I own a sewing machine, often stop mid-pace outside fabric shops, ask women where they got their dress from and use the excuse 'I've got some sewing to do' instead of the 'I'm washing my hair' and no-one thinks I'm 'that way'

There's more but that about covers it and most of it applies to nearly every period, but it's why I do it.

Q.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:11 pm

Quayn, m8 I like your style
:wink:
chris

Abigail

Postby Abigail » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:32 pm

PET LOG - TWIN PEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Your so cool!

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:04 pm

15th century, pavises, need i say more (wink wink, nudge nudge, how's your father, get my drift, need i say MORE (*wibble*)

Quayn

Postby Quayn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 pm

Twin peaks.... of course i remember now. So many days and though it all fits in the brain not all is to hand.

Oh I forgot to mention, armour.... chicks dig the armour and (ask freud if you will) really big swords.

Q.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:49 pm

cos we did a project at school when I was 9 (class 10, mrs reins :D ), on the norman conquest, and I was the only one who thought that that harold bloke was a bit of a dodgy liar, and that william was justified.

later got taken along to ecws gig by a friend, met Nige and went to conquest bash, and all of a sudden here were al these other people who agreed about harold being dodgy, and william being right.

chicks dig the armour and (ask freud if you will) really big swords.

till there are 22 of them in the way when you're trying to do the hoovering, etc.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Got hooked on history as a kid - blame parents (you can't live near Bath and miss history out) and a fabulous junior school teacher who taught us the tudors (reasonably accurately to boot).

Music - Parents had friends involved in early music scene, so had opportunity to learn to play the recorder as a proper instrument and hear the music that was written for it. Also to hear other period instruments and see them up close. :shock:

Castles - Did fabulous youth camps in France run by Club du Vieux Manoir. Allowed me to learn about and help restore castles ranging from C14th to serious Vauban like Guise nr. St Quentin. Also helped by parents moving to Luxembourg when 13 (c1000 to Vauban-Louvigny fortifications all over town). Also seen all the great Cathar castles plus some of the obscure ones. :roll:

Costume - love clothes, lived near Museum of Costume in Bath, had grandmother who was in tailoring trade so started out with the basic hand sewing skills and then learned to machine. Bought sewing machine rather than stereo when student as liked to design and make own clothes. :roll:

History - had luck to be doing O-Levels outside school as father working in Luxembourg and needed to esure could get into sixth form if we went back to UK. Chose to do Oxford syllabus C Alfred to end of WOTR for history as was coached by parents who bought me University style text books rather than crap school stuff - Brill :lol: Also had luck to go to a European School where syllabus looked at Europe as a whole rather than be UK-centric. Was taught in French by Mr Pracht - a great guy who could really inspire and teach a mixed nationality and ability group to A-level standard.

Social/Political History - Well if I said I did Social Satire and Criticism in Dutch Literature 1200-1600 for my special subject and wrote my project on Historical Reality and Literary Portrayal in a popular Dutch C16th play about the Murder of William of Orange would you be surprised :P

So there you are - all you then have to do is meet the odd re-enactor, go to the odd event as a MOP, then in kit, then marry another proto re-enactor and your hooked for life.

Sophia 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:45 pm

I look good in britches and it's the only medium where I get to practice all the skills I want to learn for minimum cost (riding, shooting,archery,boats, fencing etc for which I would normally pay £20-£45 an hour) and all for the inconvenience (at times) of having to do it in public.

The stories I can tell and weird opportunites keep me coming back too.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Tuppence wrote:cos we did a project at school when I was 9 (class 10, mrs reins :D ), on the norman conquest, and I was the only one who thought that that harold bloke was a bit of a dodgy liar, and that william was justified.

later got taken along to ecws gig by a friend, met Nige and went to conquest bash, and all of a sudden here were al these other people who agreed about harold being dodgy, and william being right.

chicks dig the armour and (ask freud if you will) really big swords.

till there are 22 of them in the way when you're trying to do the hoovering, etc.

HOW VERY DARE YOU!

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:02 pm

My Dad, he had a big love of history. On holidays, always spent in the UK, (cos we wuz poor), we would have one beach/amusement day, and the rest would be going to visit castles, cathedrals places of historical interest, usually either in East Anglia or in and around Middlesboro/Durham ( cheap holidays at my Nans houses)

Where ever we went, my dad could tell you all the facts about the place, never saw him read up on it, but he always knew. And that love rubbed off.

As for the period i do, find Muddyevil boring (my personal opinion, so keep your to yourself), ECW, mmmmm, is all i will say. Always liked 'Dark age' stuff and the chance to Join the Vike came up just after my Dad died, so felt it was the right time. :cry:

Wouldnt mind doing some WW2 stuff, especially if I could afford a Vickers, as my Gandad was on Market garden and my Great Uncle was a Chindit, so would like to do something for their memory.

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:
Wouldnt mind doing some WW2 stuff, especially if I could afford a Vickers, as my Gandad was on Market garden and my Great Uncle was a Chindit, so would like to do something for their memory.

Could always join a group that does machine gun troops from both World Wars...

Private Andrew Upton, Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45.

Bil

Postby Bil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:18 pm

The threat of having to stay at home with buggerall on the tellybox every other weekend, oh and I like to drink,camp out in a tent,play with fire and hit people, re-enacting gives me the oppotunity to do all of them without getting arrested. :D

"If we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made from meat?"
- Me, just then.

leonardo

Postby leonardo » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:08 am

All the reasons given so far, and probably as many as can be thought of. Just the smell of woodsmoke in the spring is enough to make me long for the start of the re-enactment season. :D :D :D

'Where there is hope only in arms,those arms are holy' - Livy

cripplestickmick

Postby cripplestickmick » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Why do I do it?

I grew out of LARP as it wasn't a challenge anymore when I was at Uni, started fencing, then I met my wife - she dragged me along to meet her mates one day. The rest is history.

BTW period is Dark Ages in case you wondered.

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:24 am

Interest in the period ever since I had a Ladybird ‘Alfred the Great’ book for Christmas as a kid, plus a long standing desire to hit people with swords/axes/spears etc. not really interested enough in later medieval era, no migration age groups anywhere nearby, the rest is history.

BigM

Postby BigM » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:14 pm

My dad built me a wooden castle and I had some knights and soldiers to play with, also went to see jousting at Thorpe Park when I was a nippa and thought 'I want to do that', so the medieval stuff always appealed.

When I got into reenactment I tried Celtic, Saxon and WOTR but liked WOTR best. The late 15th cent is interesting because it marks a huge shift in social, political and religious history and despite being more recent than say Saxon history, there is a shortage of good english sources for the time - so I guess its a challenge and there is room for debate. Personally my fave changes involve ordinary people and their everyday life.

Plus it just feels right and I like the people I meet in WOTR.

m

DomT

Postby DomT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:00 pm

I think we can all agree on reasons why. The period? I think it's often down to who you meet.

I spent a happy decade doing Dark Age. Too much reading Beowulf and reading 'The Marsh King' and 'The Namesake' as a kid plus a DA soc on campus.
In the end I moved away from the area where my original group was, joined other ones and got caught in politics and so on.
Switched relecutantly to muddyevil and got intrested in the period and the kit. I LIKE PLATE!

Of course I also like the idea of being a Dandy Highwayman or a dashing privateer so I may have to talk to my seamstress/cutler/firearms bod.....

"Sir, I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. "

"To hear one voice clearly, we must have freedom to hear them all."

Dom Twist. Black Company, Kernow Levy, Team KGB and freelance idiot.

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:55 pm

Met a friend-of-a-friend who was at uni, & she nagged me for about 5 years to give it a try. Finally ran out of excuses one weekend & turned out to play, managed to dislocate my shoulder on the Sunday.
When the Captain siad that he expected that i wasn't going to come again it was a case of " sod that! gimme a pen & where do i sign?"

Period is C15th WoTR. A great mix of warfare, politics, love, lust, betrayal & new innovations in almost every walk of life, a tipping point between the old 'neo-fuedal' England & the renaissance!

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 pm

Just ran accross WOTR first. Given enough time and money I'd like to do them all. Pirates next I think

to cross breed this with another thread, are there any winter pirate events and if not can we start some?

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:54 pm

Only if we can do 'em in the Caribbean!

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:58 pm

I was thinking of in the pub.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

WhiteWolf

Postby WhiteWolf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:05 pm

All these reasons are valid but surely the main reasons we do this is because we

are mad

and love Matin's Jerked meat :wink:

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:44 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:All these reasons are valid but surely the main reasons we do this is because we

are mad

and love Matin's Jerked meat :wink:

and love mead!

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:39 am

Because my mate Paul said 'ere fancy shooting some blokes with bows and arrows'.

Simple as that. Had no clue as to the period, no doubt had we not been doing WOTR it would have been another period. The historical interest grew beyond the shooting the mates.

Have done ECWS and was about to do mid 18thc when I went on my reenactment sabbatical. Mid/3rd quarter 18thc would be the only other period I might try, just for the clothing really.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:42 pm

cos my mum made me a long time ago
I like wood smoke
I look quite nice in clothes
I like men in leather boots
oh yes and am interested in the history

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:36 am

Looking 'thro the posts,it's amazing how many closet 18thcent types are lurking out there...Come & play,Guys & Gals...You know you want to.....
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:53 am

No closet with me Steve, I have a nice blue frock coat skirts, fake button holes, big turned cuffs, yum.

Problme i have now is time to do it.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Return to “General History”