Would you ?????

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

saxon

Would you ?????

Post by saxon »

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the question from MOP'S - ' would you like to have lived back then '? :roll: ........... being honest though - would you ??? or would it just be nice to be able to travel back and be a 'fly on the wall' to see how things really were ?? and just to see how right we are getting things ??? :shock:

WorkMonkey

Post by WorkMonkey »

Not really, I doubt I would have survived child hood.
WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

I think many of us would like to go back, and take lots of nice colour photos of clothing, castles, weapons practise etc. But I know no-one who really wants to live back then.

Aelfric

Post by Aelfric »

I like my trips to the 10th century to be sanitised! I like to be able to put clean clothes an a body that has recently had a hot bath, I like to be able to charge around hitting people with a spear and sword knowing that neither they or I will be hurt or killed, and if I do get hurt or taken ill, I want a modern health service to patch me up rather than trusting the local leach! In short I like to play in a safe and pleasant version of the past with all the bad bits taken out, but I certainly wouldn’t want to live in the reality of it full time. Like the others I’d love to go back for a look to see what it was like and see how accurate we are today, but living there? No thanks!

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

I remember a TV show about this kind of thing when I was a kid - basically UFOs were time tourists from the future. (The Flip Side of Dominic Hide)

I'd love to travel back in time and observe - can you imagine watching Agincourt or Towton?!
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Gail Horn

Post by Gail Horn »

At least we may get to solve some of the 'unsolvable' mysteries of the past - Princes in the Tower, Jack the Ripper and so on.
Last edited by Gail Horn on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

Vicky

Post by Vicky »

craig1459 wrote: I'd love to travel back in time and observe - can you imagine watching Agincourt or Towton?!
It would be horrific! I know I couldn't watch a battle for real! :shock:

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

watching any form of battle etc would in my opinion be a not to do experience

its not like the sanitised cnn version you get here

the one thing that would stick with you is the smell and the taste
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

More like sitting in a bubble above watching how it unfolded and the tactics used

(unlike Gail who wants to watch child murderers and serial killers :wink: )

Gail Horn

Post by Gail Horn »

(unlike Gail who wants to watch child murderers and serial killers )
Mwahahahhahahhaaaa! :twisted: :twisted:

Actually, it's the mystery bit that appeals, not the actual doings, if you see what I mean... Not to say there aren't some people I'd cheerfully kill, even now!

Anyway, who'd want to watch a box of Frosties being murdered? :D

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

I think Jorge did for the Princes, disguised as noble King Richard

Abigail

Post by Abigail »

Anyone read the Diana Gabaldon books? I think the first one is called Cross stitch and they are along this theme, a woman from the C20th travel back in time to the run up to Culloden (sp?) through a stone circle. I quite like that idea, as long as you know how to get back again when you've had enough!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Dreadful who would want to live in a time before Guiness?
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Lindsay

Post by Lindsay »

A friend once convinced me to read that book once... Possibly one of the worst pieces of drivel I've ever read. (This is coming from someone who actually read Spike Milligan's "William MacGonagall meets George Gerschwin!")
Abigail wrote:Anyone read the Diana Gabaldon books? I think the first one is called Cross stitch and they are along this theme, a woman from the C20th travel back in time to the run up to Culloden (sp?) through a stone circle. I quite like that idea, as long as you know how to get back again when you've had enough!
Historians did it in the past.

Founder of SAG:
The breakaway Society for the Appreciation of Guthrie.

Gail Horn

Post by Gail Horn »

Don't know how much research went into the books, but I quite liked them all; not knowing a thing about Scottish history at that point (or, if it comes to it, at any point! :oops: ) at least they were eminently readable!

Abigail

Post by Abigail »

I agree with you Gail, I have the ability to read any historical novel, however badly researched and enjoy something about it!! Particularly if its about a period I know nothing about, which was the case with this book, I mean, how seriously can you take a book that has someone time traveling with the use of a big rock?? It then gives me a springboard to go and read something a bit more factual about it and actually picture in my head what was going on.

Anyway, back to the original subject, I'd quite like to go to the American south just before the civil war just so I can have a go at wearing one of the HUGE dresses (and then come back again when I couldn't breathe in the corset!!)

Ian Macintyre

Post by Ian Macintyre »

I quite fancy spending time with Captain Alfred Hutton in the 1880's.
Hating is easy, loving takes real character

Be excellent to each other AND party on dudes

Charisma 17

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

The usual answer to the Would you like to live then? for whatever period I am re-enacting (we don't do into modern medicine age) is No as we would both be dead.

Fly on the wall has to be on the Glastonvbury Lake Village site around the BC/AD boundary, to satisfy myself that my reconstructions were either good, bad or totally off track!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Only as a non-involved spectator, ie not part of the time otehrwise it would change time itself.

Be nice to see real colours of things, troops arraying, listen to the language, basically spend my time taking notes on construction of things, I would need a lot of time though.

But being there where everyone is a fundamentalist, poor medical care, slightly worse trasnport systems, nah.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

althoguh I agree it'd be nice to go back and see lots of things (not battles - throwing would closely follow, I have no doubt, even if overhead in bubble), but clothes and things.

also to find out when padding actually arrived here!!

but to actually live then - having to grow / kill all own food, never really travelling, no sanitation, no baths, no heating (except fire), and for women being mostly pregnant.

NO
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

WorkMonkey wrote:Not really, I doubt I would have survived child hood.
Your lucky you survived it now. :wink: :lol:
Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

I'd like to go back with a detailed book about how badly Harold messed up by not waiting a couple of extra days, then persuade him to wait, destroy all the Normans and then come and gloat over Nigel and his Norman fetish

Mwwwaahahahahahaha :twisted: :wink:
Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Yep Gyrth's idea appeals, if only for the smug factor ten on Walton, well worth changing history for, of course the old butterfly farting in the rain forest thing might mean Nigel is someone else entirely and not so 'nice'.
<ducks>
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

i wouldnt mind living back then.... if i lived in the countryside. im not a very city-orientated person now, and with all the muck, scum and crime that gathered in cities 400+ years ago i wouldnt want to touch them.

i guess what appeals to me is the closeness to nature (very idealistic i know:) ) and the greater understanding of the land around them, insular as it was. i think its a shame that so much of the knowledge then has been lost. i mean, how many housewives nowadays can truly say that they know how to make jam without buying thickening packets? :| or pluck a geese to fill duvets and pillows?
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Lady Wolfshead

Post by Lady Wolfshead »

Wouldn't want to live back then (for all the obvious reasons of health, hygiene, etc) but I'd love to dip in and out of it like a good book.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

No.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Ecce

Post by Ecce »

Hmm.

Penicillin.

I'll stay here and now thanks.

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

i guess its because our standards are so different... back then, when, for example, the looked back as georgians over the tudor era they must have though to themselves 'would you have been a tudor? no way' and equally in 100 years time they will think 'errgh... just imagine how horrible it must have been to live then!!' and they will make lovely recreations of us :) yay!

Handbag

Post by Handbag »

its probably very ignorant and niave of me but i think i would like to live back then, you get a sense of knowing where you are and who you are. if your a peasant then thats your lot if your merchant class then thats it. there is no keeping up with the Jones unless you are a lordy type with an ego. i think i'd like to exsist as a tailor or bookbinder or farm hand knowing that your work was important you did make a difference and no matter what you thought your boss is always better than you. job progression sucks in real life. i think were too free. even though its good to have a voice, no one listens now as their to preocupied with getting their own voice heard.

also marriage and love. you get married . end of none of this breaking up and divorce lark.

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

i am inclined to agree with all you said. i would also like to feel that i work, physically work and sweat, for my living rather than sitting at a computer or pen pushing. i want to see what i could actually do for myself!