British culture 's questions

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

koreagunba1

British culture 's questions

Postby koreagunba1 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 pm

1/ The Civil War in Britain in the 17th century is in fact a revolutionary to put an end to feudalism. Do you agree? Why or why not
I don't agree because I think it just a war to decide who were more powerfull (Charles considered himself appointed by God and had absolute power,but the Parliament didn't agree) thefefore war happened

2/ The British are often considered to be mostly Anglo- Saxon (True/ False? Why?)
I think it's true but can't explain my choice

3/ It was during Henry VIII's reign that the Reformation took place, and his break with the Roman Church was an issue of religious belief (True/ False? Why?)
I think it's false but don't know how to explain

6/The East End in London is an area of luxury and pleasure with lots of shopping malls and restaurants (True/ False? Why?)
I have no idea :( Hope any British can help me

Thanks so much :)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Re: British culture 's questions

Postby Simon Atford » Mon May 28, 2012 8:55 pm

1/ The Civil War in Britain in the 17th century is in fact a revolutionary to put an end to feudalism. Do you agree? Why or why not

Lots of factors led to the English Civil War but the principle one was whetherthe King had Divine Right or was subject to will of Parliament. Related conflicts in Scotland and Ireland at the same time were fought over different issues.

2/ The British are often considered to be mostly Anglo- Saxon (True/ False? Why?)

The English are considered to be Anglo-Saxon whilst the Welsh, Scottsh and Irish are considered to be Celts. In truth the English are mixture many cultures and ethnicities.

3/ It was during Henry VIII's reign that the Reformation took place, and his break with the Roman Church was an issue of religious belief (True/ False? Why?)

Henry broke with Rome for political and dynastic reasons although the Protestent/Catholic divide was a hot topic in England as it was in every country in Europe during the early Modern Period.

6/The East End in London is an area of luxury and pleasure with lots of shopping malls and restaurants (True/ False? Why?)

Untill fairly recently the East End was one of the heartlands of working class culture in England. It has since been partially gentrified with many middle class people moving in. This has to a rise in property prices and the growth in "smart" resturants etc. Most shopping malls are not located in inner city areas but further out where there is more space.

What happend to questions 4 and 5?

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Wed May 30, 2012 1:39 pm

What's the source/purpose of these questions?

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm

The question about resturants and shopping malls in the East End suggests it might have something to with the Olympics.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 pm

I don't agree because I think it just a war to decide who were more powerfull (Charles considered himself appointed by God and had absolute power,but the Parliament didn't agree) thefefore war happened

Which Civil War in the 17th century we had a few all closely linked. at least one was just about religion and the irish are still annoyed about it feudalism had already ended by the time of the one traditionally referred to as the Civil War started, feudalism started to fall apart due to the black death.... the poor always seem to gain a few titbits from rich people after wars plague and bad stuff. However it was a good time for making cheese.

Feudalism never really ended - the rich people just changed slightly. The same sort of people are still in charge today

The Germans would be anglo-saxon but due to a Public relations exercise failing spectacularly during the middle of the 20th century they are now thought of a teutonic or aryan.The english may be anglo-saxon however the scottish and welsh (and cornish) hang onto a claim to be celts....... Anglo Saxons do not seem to be traditional cheesemakers though

Henry wanted a divorce it had nothing to do with religion for him, he really wanted to make babies and carry on his family name and someone pointed out that the church had a lot of money he could take too. a lot of other people made a lot of money out of it. Money is religion discuss?

The east end is now or shortly to be an area of luxury and pleasure with lots of shopping malls built on top of the homes and business of the previous inhabitants. The east end used to be the industrial heartland and the largest port in europe but 70 years ago the east end was dramatically redesigned by the same public relations exercise mentioned above. During the time between the east end was mainly used as a film set for "the professionals" "the sweeney" or even substituted as vietnam in "full metal jacket". traditional cheeses can now be bought in both covent garden and borough markets - both are rather poncy gentrified street markets.

Lots of rich people have become richer. Poor people who used to live there got moved to rochdale. the areas of pleasure still remain, often near to disused industrial estates

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Wed May 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Whaat's all this about cheesemaking?

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Wed May 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Grymm wrote:Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

sir, you are a hero! :lol: :lol: :lol:

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 am

acecat999 wrote:
Grymm wrote:Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

sir, you are a hero! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah! Get it now :rock:

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am

It's somebody's homework:-
http://able2know.org/topic/191264-1

"I never said that I was here to help."

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 am

Strange. They don't all look like history questions..

I'm especially bemused by Q6. Surely only a current local(ish) resident will know that answer with any real certainty. You may as well ask what the Grangetown area of Teesside is like....

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 pm

Some say feudalism was mostly killed by labour shortages following the black death, hundreds of years before the 17th century. The remaining peasants found they had a choice of working for their landlords or working for someone else for more money. Cash won and the landlords went broke.

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Thu May 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Biro wrote:Strange. They don't all look like history questions..

I'm especially bemused by Q6. Surely only a current local(ish) resident will know that answer with any real certainty. You may as well ask what the Grangetown area of Teesside is like....

Well, we spend quite a lot of time up there. Our daughter lives there and when not involved in theatre pulls pints at the Carpenter's Arms (once owned by Reggie and Ronnie which is why it is known to London Cabbies as "The Two"). The East end has seen many waves of immigrant populations from Hugenots through Jews to current mainly Bangladeshi and other Muslim folks. These people have a history of keeping their heads down, working hard and becoming prosperous and moving out elsewhere. Brick Lane currently has every other premises as an "Indian" restaurant. Lots of great street food too. The other main occupation down there is vintage clothing shops. Lots of great places for an evening out. (Verge does great cocktails). I would not call it wealthy but it is a lively place with lots of music events and very friendly atmosphere. Houses round by Coumbia Road Flower Market (as must see on a Sunday morning) all have BMWs, Porsches etc parked outside and cost a fortune but still flats and social housing projects abound so very mixed. You can still buy great filled Beigels in an area known as banglatown - the police station even has "Banglatown Police Station" over the door. I love it. Well worth a visit. Sunday market in Brick Lane ranges from a guy who sells Abercrombie and Fitch end of lines at great rpices to folks selling a few scrappy items out of a suitcase. Junk stalls full of surprises (we got a Victorian clockwork rotisserie one day).

carolgreen270

Postby carolgreen270 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:26 am

it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products..yes ,

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:13 am

koreagunba1 wrote:1/ The Civil War in Britain in the 17th century is in fact a revolutionary to put an end to feudalism. Do you agree? Why or why not

Thanks so much :)

1) Was the English Civil War a failed revolution? I suppose you could it say it was, the only problem is that, for it to be classed as a revolution, you need a long term change. As we still have a monarchy and a Parliament, I'm not sure that you can call it a revolution.

2) The British nation is a combination of Angles, Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Celts and Picts.

3) I'll let Horrible Histories explain that one

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Henri De Ceredigion wrote:3) I'll let Horrible Histories explain that one

Brilliant! But why is the Pope dressed as Father Christmas only sans beard?

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Grangetown was still a sh1thole last time I drove through. :)

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:31 pm

John Waller wrote:

Grangetown was still a sh1thole last time I drove through. :)

Ah, but you only know that because you happen to have been there..

hobbitomm

Postby hobbitomm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:54 pm

It also depends WHICH English Reformation you're talking about.

I mean, there were a series of them under Henry VIII with varying degrees of Anti-Popishness, but all staying pretty conservative all things considered (Cos Henry was pretty mild on the subject of Reformation- he just didn't like being told what to do by someone else!). But then there was a serious (and rather more Calvinist) Reformation under Edward VI, a Counter-Reformation under Mary I, and then a return to Henrician Anglicanism under Liz I. So, which one is 'the' Reformation? ;)

Return to “General History”