Just how big was the medieval county of Nottingham?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Just how big was the medieval county of Nottingham?

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:50 pm

I' ve just been watching Robin Hood Prince of Theieves on one of the Discovery channels. In the process of which my youngest daughter said Dad didn't we climb up that tree when we visited Scotland. Sure enough as Robin and some Arab fella are taking on the Sherrif's men there is a tree that I swear to God we climbed up in order to get a good view of ...Hadrians Wall. Now I only have a BA(ed) in history and a MA in Celtic studies, most of my postings have been about medieval history, but.... just how bloody large is the county of Nottingham?!?

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:24 pm

Considering it only takes them a day to get from Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall (apparently!) it's obviously not very big!

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:08 pm

Gail Horn wrote:Considering it only takes them a day to get from Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall (apparently!) it's obviously not very big!

By walking south (check which way Robin points for east). Obviously the trains were better then :P . Really is a fun film for spotting stuff like that :D . Can anyone tell me why the Turkish archer on the wall doesn't just keep shooting when the three of them are faffing 'round the first one he shot? Film'd have been much better! :twisted:

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Rochester

Postby Rochester » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:18 pm

I watched the first episode of Robin of Sherwood starring Workmonkey (sorry, Michael Praed :wink: ) on ITV3 yesterday afternoon. At one point the nasty Guy of Gisburn :evil: was accompanying the Lady Marion 8) from Nottingham Castle to Kirklees Priory, very slowly without any baggage. Now as Nottingham Castle is in Nottingham and the Priory is on the Northern edge of Huddersfield you'd think the journey would take 3 or 4 days at the speed they were going through the woods. The question is this, where were her Ladyship's clean knicks for the journey :twisted: ?

Rochester

operor non conicio illud cruentus telum procul mihi

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Rochester wrote:, where were her Ladyship's clean knicks for the journey :twisted: ?

In my custody you insideuous fiend!

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Actually sherwood was very large hence th reason forest rather than wood. I did have actuall refeneces to acreage, but I cant find them. Somewhere between Mid Midlands and Mid Yorkshire. Was the range of it and coast to coast with clearings for towns, villages, etc. But Nottingham was an important enough place for cromwell to destroy it.

PS...... IT's A Film.

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:49 pm

" I did have actuall refeneces to acreage, but I cant find them. Somewhere between Mid Midlands and Mid Yorkshire."

Ahhhah Anorak, welcome, welcome........... 8)

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:14 am

Skevmeister wrote:Actually sherwood was very large hence th reason forest rather than wood. I did have actuall refeneces to acreage, but I cant find them. Somewhere between Mid Midlands and Mid Yorkshire. Was the range of it and coast to coast with clearings for towns, villages, etc. But Nottingham was an important enough place for cromwell to destroy it.

PS...... IT's A Film.

Yeah, but was it all pine trees (hung with wind-chimes throughout - cute :? )?

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:29 am

No, I think that Pine is a foreign import especially now by forestry commissions to bulk out the depleted woodlands. I think that the commonest evergreen tree in britain was variation sof a spruce.

I actually have a lease for 1 square foot of Sherwood Oak Wood for 999 years courtesy of TQO as an xmas present.

If anyone is really that interested I could actually go and look in the library an dget facts and figures.

Does anyone know why cromwell burnt nottingham castle down.

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Apathy Ain't A Policy

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:05 pm

No, I think that Pine is a foreign import especially now by forestry commissions to bulk out the depleted woodlands. I think that the commonest evergreen tree in britain was variation sof a spr

Other way round - Scots Pine is indigenous (or at least it came back with the other 'native' trees after the last glaciation) assorted spruces are imports (mainly from North America) and weren't grown commercially in this country until the late 20th century (although there were specimen trees in arboreta and botanical gardens).

Oddly though, the earliest record of spruce comes from Skara Brae Neolithic settlement in Shetland - its thought to have arrived as driftwood across the Atlantic.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:14 pm

I stand corrected. I knew it was one or the other.

ad augusta per angusta

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:44 pm

Skev

The castle was a Parliamentarian garrison during the first civil war commanded by Col Huchinson whose wife left quite a detailed account of the goings on there.

I think it was destroyed by act of Parliament in 1651 (if I recall) this would pop it slap bang in the middle of the castle slighting programme which basically saw lots of castles blown up to stop them being used as Royalist strong points for further risings.

Nige

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

colonelboris
Location: Apparently standing on a very windy part of Offa's Dyke

Postby colonelboris » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:47 pm

Apparently, there are only four types of conifer native to Britain, Scots pine, juniper and I've forgotten the other two.

'Assumption is the mother of all f***-ups' - Eric Bogosian, Under Siege 2
www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk Image

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Postby Kate Tiler » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:04 am

I know the castle was burned down again later than the 1600s, in the Nottingham Bread riots, which sound such fun...

http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:18 am

colonelboris wrote:Apparently, there are only four types of conifer native to Britain, Scots pine, juniper and I've forgotten the other two.

There are only three species of conifer which are generally recognised to be native to Britain - those two and Yew

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:31 am

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/sitema ... istory.htm

heres the history of teh castle for you

ad augusta per angusta

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:15 pm

So, if I understand what you are saying to be true then Hollywood lied to me! Does this mean that America hasn't won WWII for us either?

kael

Postby kael » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:34 pm

Big enough to switch counties with both leicestershire and derbyshire and incorporate East Midalands Airport. It also has branches in scotland, dover and an easy rowing trip from jerusulem.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:14 pm

Sounds good where can i book a holday package there?

polthepot

Postby polthepot » Wed May 10, 2006 8:20 am

Easyboat, You turn up at the Jetty in Antioch pay the man two spruces ,a Scots pine, half a Juniper and yew get dropped off somewhere in
Sherwood *

*Sherwood forest......Anywhere between the Baltic and Oldham.

pottery the new rock'n roll

sed jonny

kael

Postby kael » Thu May 11, 2006 6:34 pm

*Sherwood forest......Anywhere between the Baltic and Oldham.

hehe

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu May 11, 2006 7:49 pm

Is Nottingham castle the capital city of the empire of nottingham shire?

Return to “General History”