Canvas Cleaning?!

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Chaucers Closet

Canvas Cleaning?!

Postby Chaucers Closet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello guys. Have just taken my tent out the shed to get it ready for an event this weekend. And found a bloody great hole in the roof where it must of been leaking for some time as my tent is soaked right through. :thumbdown: Fortunetly its not rotten but its an unhealthy black colour in places with lots of mildew and mold. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning it?

Cheers.

steven pole
Post Centurion

Re: Canvas Cleaning?!

Postby steven pole » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi there.
First I would kill the mildew with white vinegar and scub it with it too. Next I would use a solution of a product called OXI to remove the stain a bit more if not completely. Give it a good rince with warm water after. I've used this on many canvas bags that have got dirty and have had mildew.
best regards
Steven Pole

m. demetrius

Postby m. demetrius » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Panther Primitives (US tent manufacturer) recommends diluted bottled lemon juice to kill the mildew, but white vinegar should work also. Bad luck on the tent. That's a bother, and the mildew is gradually digesting the cloth. Whatsoever thing ye do, do thou quickly.

Saepe veritas est dura.
David Wills
* Leg XF
* Cornuti Seniores
* Cohort V

matilda

Postby matilda » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 pm

When we got our tent, it had been left at the bottom of the garden and had rotted through in a couple of places and was badly mildew stained in others.

I scrubbed it while it was up, fortunately the bad patches were reachable, with vanish oxi action and then once dry and patched, I stuck patches on on the inside with copydex and then sewed around the edges of the patch to hold it more securely, We coated it with fabsil. That was around 6 years ago and the patches are beginning to need regluing.

We never got rid of the stains though.

Denise

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows - Jennifer Yane

Kernow Levy

Postby Kernow Levy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:44 am

Do any of the above remadies affect coloured canvas (in this case yellow and black), if so, any suggestions for coloured canvas?

Slaughterbridge is still on 28-29 July and 11-12 August 2012

Kernow Levy, Early to Late Medieval group: http://www.kernowlevy.co.uk
Our re-enactor massage therapist: http://www.devoncomplementarytherapy.co.uk
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Return to “General History”