Pagans, Druids and Witches

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

moosiemoosiegander

Postby moosiemoosiegander » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Right... *puts on best asbestos underwear*

Half the problem seems to stem from semantics. the word 'pagan' comes from the latin 'paganus/pagani' which just means 'country dweller' or 'civilian'. This later came to mean 'not a soldier of Christ', so I am informed and thus the term Pagan came to mean literally 'not Christian' (I also take it to be non Judeo-Christian/Muslim as they all have a similar root, and technically follow the same deity, right?) Interestingly, by definition this makes Buddhism and Hinduism etc. technically pagan religions, although they don't define themselves as such (the Dalai Lama has said that Buddhists aren't pagans and I believe him! :) ) But look back a few centuries or so and how would people have described them?

So, there are literally thousands and thousands of pagan religions, but in common parlance, paganism is taken to mean a follower of a usually nature based and often polytheistic religion (not the use of usually and often in that last sentence, it is by no means a hard and fast rule as I have explained above.)

Wiccan and Druidry ae by no means the be-all and end-all of paganism, I realise that there are thowse of you out there who follow the Viking gods, but those of you that I have met over the years tend to prefer the term 'heathen', so no disrespect intended at all, the same for those of you I have missed out who follow other paths. The problem I think is that Wicca is by far the highest profile of the neo-pagan religions, especially with the bandying about of the word in popular fiction like Buffy, and so people have set preconceptions of what it entails.

For the record, I am not a Wiccan but I am not going to air my own personal beliefs on here, sufice to say that I believe in no god, only the force of nature as a whole.

*braces for flames*

I'm up and dressed, what more do you want?

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:17 pm

You've got flaming braces? That sounds a bit old testament to me!

(Damn sight more comfortable than a burning bush, tho')

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Mary Craig

Postby Mary Craig » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:07 pm

Modern Wicca/ Odinic/ Druidic, et all are pastiches. They provide all of the emotional, social and moral strictures, and Rites of Passage that any religion does, though. Not my thing, but, if people need it, then why not? Many of the proponents and adherents are truly excellent people, though I have to admit that the "Fluffy Bunnies" set my teeth on edge, but then so do Evengelical Christians and the "I've got a Secret" god/ rite/ ritual brigade.
To follow the rites of the seasons, the Solar festivals, the Lunar events, the changing Earth, yes I can see the connections. Gods? Ah now, mankind makes Gods, and priesthoods to service them and to organise and /or control the population.....for their own good, you understand :roll:
Me? I'm a good atheist with pagan tendencies :)

Flaming braces?? :lol: :lol: Would that be teeth or trowsis, then?

Cheers,
Mary

moosiemoosiegander

Postby moosiemoosiegander » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:19 am

For me trooooooosers! :D

Shoggoth

Postby Shoggoth » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:59 pm

As a cat amongst pigeons post, does anybody actually show relgious rites at shows for the public?

As our societies religious bod, I sort of get prodded towards doing full rites for 13 century mass in the field (try saying that three time backwards when drunk).

I just wandered if anybody does so called Pagan rites? I know they can't be acurate portrals (unless Tacitus is to be believed).

Just interested to see what could be done/is being done.

Especially interested in Mithratians and where they would get their bulls from. :shock:

madjon

Postby madjon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:01 am

dont see why romans cant do pagan rites mithraism,cult of mars/mercury etc offerings to the gods divination by entrails a lot of roman practice and ideas are available through ancient texts. depends on what you call pagan.

moosiemoosiegander

Postby moosiemoosiegander » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:50 am

I know a Roman re-enactor that believes wholeheartedly in the Roman religion and practices the rites as best as he can research (and is legal and acceptable within modern culture!). More power to his Roman elbow, I say!

Return to “General History”