Why do we re-enact?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Why do we re-enact?

Postby zauberdachs » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:28 am

Quite simply, I got to thinking about why do we do re-enactments?

It's fun, it's a show for the public, it's envolves learning skills, learning history, educating people in history etc...

Why is showing people history so important? What is that we are giving them? or is it not about the public, what is it to us...

Your insights would be much appreciated...

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

nev

Postby nev » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:49 am

i don't know, this is maybe just me i reenact because i have a love for history i'll admit, but more than that its because it affords me the opitunity to meet people i'd never come across in everyday life, it allows me to indulge another hobby, namely the hobby of being a sardonic on-looker to the foolishness of the majority of mankind and i can indulge my competitive instincts on the battlefield. if i'm honest there's probably some primeval instincts at work as well the need of human beings to be accepted into their pack(in this case reenactment group) and to gain the respect of their peers

apologise for all spelling/grammer errors, its early

Heads you live...tails you die.

tonw

Postby tonw » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:42 am

I love history

I think its as important a subject as Maths or English

I have nothing better to do

and ITS FUN :!: :!: :!: :!:

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:09 am

I p*ssed off a gypsy by taking the micky out of his stupid clothes and uncomfortable looking tent about 15 years ago.
I've yet to escape the curse that he laid upon me. :(

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:48 am

I got into re-enactment as a result of starting a career as an archaeologist by working on the Butser Ancient Farm Project, a large scale laboratory for investigating Iron Age and R-B farming. Reconstruction led to living history and re-enactment as a way of trying to correct some of the false assumptions that modern people have about the abilities of our ancestors.

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:54 am

mm, I had this urge for learning on the subject after my mom took me to the battle of hastings battlefield when i was like 13, I read all that was available to me, and kept reading, and once i'd exhausted my library, i decided the only thing left was to actually do it.

plus its fun hitting people.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:56 am

Gives you something different to do in the summer, instead of hanging around on street corners frightening small children and grannies.

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:59 pm

It enables me to give free reign to all of my eccentricities, because every other re-enactor has a whole range of their own...and I got a husband without really trying. Cool!!

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:03 pm

Always been interested in the history but done nout but read and watch documentaries. Went to Tewkie this year to see a mate in action and loved the vibe. Checked out a group who were a good bunch and now it has taken over my life!

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

DomT

Postby DomT » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:08 pm

My Dad was in the Vike....

I've always liked swords and axes.
I'm an adrenalin junkie.
I'm far to much into the 'Zen of Doing', that is enjoyment of doing a physical thing well and not having to think about it too much. Loosing yourself in the moment so to speak.

After I gave up rock climbing and mountaineering re-enactment called me back 'cos I can get all my kicks without having to haul by creaking self around remote mountain sides. 'Car' Camping.

Plus I've always loved history and I'm now over the harm done to it by my schooling.

Plus armour looks cool and the adoring public are nice.....

"Sir, I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. "

"To hear one voice clearly, we must have freedom to hear them all."

Dom Twist. Black Company, Kernow Levy, Team KGB and freelance idiot.

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:14 pm

yes I Dom summed it up, posing! 8)

Gobae

Postby Gobae » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:30 pm

It helps correct misperceptions (my own and others') about what life was like; how easy or hard certain tasks were. It also, explains the 'why' for so many inherited societal and cultural conventions.

It fits with my 'Can Do' attitude, and too many people these days think they 'CAN'T do' (whatever) because they need $$ and technology to do stuff. AND being free to DO is FUN!

WhiteWolf

Postby WhiteWolf » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:38 pm

craig1459 wrote:Always been interested in the history but done nout but read and watch documentaries. Went to Tewkie this year to see a mate in action and loved the vibe. Checked out a group who were a good bunch and now it has taken over my life!

Wot he said :D (if fact exactly wot he said :D)

WW 8)

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:27 pm

I got started when i watched a program on BBC1 at 2 am in the morning following a guy who was having a full suit of armour made for him.Since then i have been hooked and learnt' one hell of a lot about history..
Anybody know what the name of this program is?The armourer had tons of catalogues and the guy picked bits from the different catalogues for his armour.Love to see it again.. :wink:

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:50 pm

Having spent a large amount of money getting kitted up and then tents and .... and.... and.... I haven't ruled out clinical insanity :D :shock:

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:48 pm

[quote]mm, I had this urge for learning on the subject after my mom took me to the battle of hastings battlefield when i was like 13, I read all that was available to me, and kept reading, and once i'd exhausted my library, i decided the only thing left was to actually do it. [/quote]

I didn't know you were American Monkeyboy? Mom?! :lol: was that only last year then?

I've always been facinated by history and way back in 1990 I wrote off to Regia after seeing an article in 'Gamesmaster International', it was interesting and I didn't know of any later period groups, and that was the beginning as they say. Now I'm just a nasty Norman! :twisted:

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:43 pm

I've had people comment on my spelling of "mum" before, I don't know if its a birmingham thing? I say "mom" when I say it, so I naturally just spell it that way, NO IT WASN'T LAST YEAR THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Bil

Postby Bil » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:53 am

I like history,
I like wargaming,
I like camping,
I like fires,
I like drinking,
I like partying,
I like talking to people,
I like dressing up (no not that),
I like hitting people....
re-enacting enables me to do all of the above and more, without geting arrested and in some cases actually get paid for it too!

"If we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made from meat?"
- Me, just then.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:21 pm

It's a damn sight more fun than just going to the pub at weekends. I like DomT's Zen of Doing. Quite agree. Life is much more fun if it isn't a spectator sport.

Also great for showing off, and you get to meet people from all walks of life and parts of the world.

nev

Postby nev » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:17 am

i have to disagree to a certain extent cat, in my experience re-enacting and going down the pub seem inextricably linked by a common bond (namely reenactors) :)

Heads you live...tails you die.

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:02 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:
craig1459 wrote:Always been interested in the history but done nout but read and watch documentaries. Went to Tewkie this year to see a mate in action and loved the vibe. Checked out a group who were a good bunch and now it has taken over my life!

Wot he said :D (if fact exactly wot he said :D)

WW 8)

Nice one - also been surprised at the new things I've enjoyed:

1. Hitting people with a pointed stick. We really joined to look at crafts and archery but being a billman rules!
2. Teaching kids. I as a rule hate the little blighters, but letting them play with the armour and telling the MOPs about the background is really enjoyable. They can be so appreciative
3. The depth and breadth of it has staggered me - you really can have a go at pretty much anything at any level
4. The people are great. I like everyone I have met and that is no exaggeration. Again, a very varied bunch of interests and backgrounds

This my 500th post so I'm now a post-centurion. Where's my life gone? :lol: :lol:

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Thorlak

Postby Thorlak » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:26 pm

I went to a few events early on and thought that looks fun
And as I have alwatys had an interest in history it seemed the right way to go

Plus it is fun hitting people

And just to come to work monkey's defence I have always spelt it mom also evenwhen I was constantly told it is mum

matlot

Postby matlot » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:25 pm

i am one of the sad and lonely second generation reenactors who new no diffrence and have done it since before they were born starting out crawling in the mud at naseby with gerrads reg and progrest to crawling
in the mud at boworth with the savile's
the only diffrence is more tin
and ale

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ale

Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum

Catapultam habeo. isi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

a savile a savile

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:29 pm

I just do it because I enjoy it. I got into it because it looked fun and it still is 15 years later! 8)

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:26 pm

I wanted to dress up in funny clothes and shoot people..but the police wouldn't have me.......

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:51 pm

I like hitting people with swords, end of :lol:

saxon

Postby saxon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:31 pm

Could be in the blood from a previous existance !!! :shock:

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:57 pm

I like the fact that can become a different person, and have your own family!!
And you dont have to wash for the whole week aswell.....*ahem*

Annis x

PS all reenactors are great n when im older (when i drive eg this year) i'll start reenacting other places!!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:21 pm

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:16 pm

I'll admit it,for me it all started as a violent sport(20odd year ago), I drifted in from the biker rally world, and in the early days still wore almost the same stuff..black leather jeans, bike boots la la la and it was very much church fete beer n bash but after a short while and a minimum of reading I though I look silly so I joined a another group that do the tourney, dancey bit, y'know Lord and Lady Brinylon and the Countess de Velcro go camping sorta thing, then after a while, and a little more focused research, I had my revelation that costumes in films ain't necessarily right.Yeah I know shoulda spotted it sooner but when everyone around you is wearing curtains and being a princess you don't always notice at first, soooo I then moved up another notch to a group who did 'living history' and after that it went a bit mad and have ended up with 2 wardrobes of clothes that start at romano-celt one end and finish with WWII British battledress at t'other, a house full of books, weapons and fabric, a garage and shed filled with tents,cookware, pottery and furniture, and very few free weekends. Shoulda picked stamp collecting, it takes up less room and would mean that I didn't scream WRONG, WRONG, WRONGat historical things on the telly.

Return to “General History”