Post Roman/ Pre Saxon swords

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Sanderson

Post Roman/ Pre Saxon swords

Post by Mark Sanderson »

I'm looking for information and examples of swords in Britain around 400 - 500 ad. Pictish and Scots swords from the same period will do.

I understand that the Roman Spatha may have been used as a model for Romano British swords but how did the hilt, grip and pommel change?

All I can find on the web are Roman, "Celtic" and Saxon Swords.

Thanks in advance.
When you talk to God, that's praying. When God talks to you, that's schizophrenia!

BrendanGrif

Post by BrendanGrif »

the book "Sheaths and Scabbards in England AD400-1100" available from oxbow books might be help - in a tangental sort of way.

It gives a lot of info on the sizes of sheaths and scabbards etc.

Its not an easy read though - very academic.

Brendan

Mark Sanderson

Post by Mark Sanderson »

Thanks BrendanGrif, I'll see if the local library can blag me copy.

Many books can be quite academic. I have books in my own library that academics would probably find difficult to read, full of useless information like the carbon content of an Anglo-Saxon dress pin, or the tin/ copper ratio of a piece of broken fibula brooch. I learned to read over the boring bits and filter out the stuff that's relevant to what I'm researching.
When you talk to God, that's praying. When God talks to you, that's schizophrenia!

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

I seem to recall that there is an Osprey covering this period. Arthurs Pictish Wars or something like that. I know that many thenty-police look down on some Osprey induced claims but its somewhere to start at least.
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Mark Sanderson

Post by Mark Sanderson »

Thanks Neil,

I think I've got that one in the loft somewhere (D'oh!).

Right, now if I can only find the step ladders!

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

BrendanGrif wrote:the book "Sheaths and Scabbards in England AD400-1100" available from oxbow books might be help - in a tangental sort of way.

It won't, as all of the scabbards relevent to the period Mark's interested in, are Germanic ones.

It's a good book though, for those of us that like making sheaths and scabbards. 8)
"I never said that I was here to help."