Mid 14th Cent Man at Arms German Influence

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

m0rt

Post by m0rt »

Thomas, that kettle hat is lovely. Do you have any more pictures or other information, most specifically dates...

Felix, I fight in a kettle and find the airflow around the face combined with the brim to keep to sun off is fantastic!

What's the hearing like in the Pigface?

Also, love those one piece shoulders... gonna have to get me some of those
Why I do maths: http://xkcd.com/435/

Felix

Post by Felix »

The hearing is not so got now, but I have to add some padding because it is about one cm too wide on both sides, as my head is narrow. Then, I think it would be like having wax balls in the ears. You don´t hear anything, you don´t see anything ;)

I think a Kettlehat is a must (I like them too much)0, but with face stabs in historical fencing a visor is a must too.

Felix

Next piece

Post by Felix »

Hello again, here is some update.
In October/November last year I discussed an appropriate dagger with Tod from Tod´s stuff. We decided for a Basilardo dagger. A design that is not too often found in the reproduction sector.
Last week I got the pictures of the finished dagger and it will hopefully get to me within next week.
From the pictures alone I think he did a very nice job with adding some detail here and there and in the selection of the wood for the hilt and the leather for the sheath seems fantastic.
Compare it to the picture of the blade we used for reference, which is an Italian Basilardo displayed in Castelvecchio Museum in Verona.
Attachments
P1010225.JPG
HPIM9359.JPG
P1010222.JPG
Last edited by Felix on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattb

Post by mattb »

Almost identical example to the one Thomas posted is in the RA Leeds.
Attachments
smallhelmet.jpg
smallhelmet1.jpg

Felix

Post by Felix »

Hello,
this week I got the baselard dagger, I ordered from Tod´s stuff. After seeing many rondels and ballock daggers on the reproduction and custom market, I decided to go for something different
The blade design was based on a dagger that is part of the collection in Castelvecchio in Verona, Italy.
The dagger has an overall length of 42.5cm, with a double fullered blade of 29.5cm. It was delivered with a leather sheath in a rich chestnut brown colour. I let Tod decide for most part of the construction and the materials used. So he added some very nicely grained wood and some file work on the sides of the hilt. Im am really impressed by his work.
Attachments
HPIM9359.JPG
HPIM0155.JPG
HPIM0156.JPG

Felix

Post by Felix »

nt just pics
Attachments
HPIM0161.JPG
HPIM0159.JPG

Felix

Post by Felix »

Yay, finished my aventail:
Attachments
HPIM0269.JPG
HPIM0268.JPG

narvek

Post by narvek »

Very nice. Too shiney by me, but as will come dents, it will get dark :D
Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Felix

Soft kit

Post by Felix »

Here ist my soft kit, comments welcome.

narvek

Post by narvek »

Very nice...
Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

That face is terrifying. The rest is brilliant though.
Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Here an update. Got my Haubergeon a few weeks ago, but it needs some modification, so no kit picture at the moment.
Yesterday I got my arms. They are made from springsteel and weigh 1280g which, they feel really light. The fit seems ok, may be better, but I doubt this would have been possible without personal visitation.

Felix

Post by Felix »

The next step on a long journay.
I finally got back my longsword (Albion Fiore) with an appropriate scabbard after 10 months of wait. The scabbard is wood lined and covered in linen and leather on the outside. It has a two point suspension with hook and ring suspension and simple buckles that will be changed to something more matching the design of the chape and locket.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Some time later, I finally got the first pictures of my finished breast and fauld. Can´t wait to try it on.

Stuart Quayle

Breastplate.

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Congratulations on being the proud owner one superb looking 14th century breastplate and fauld Felix.

It's a lovely hybrid of a Churburg no. 14 breastplate with a 'Pistoia Alterpiece' style, reducing fauld, absolutely beautiful! 8)

Felix

Post by Felix »

Thanks Stuart. I am really excited to see the piece in person. Now I have cuisse and knees ind order, some clothes and an Aketon.
My arms will come back from modification too, hopefully this week.
Perhaps I can already take pictes of the body armour by the weekend.
I also started work on the haubergeon, but with riveting it is a rather slowly developing project.

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

Thats some real lovely kit. Is the fauld laced into the breastplate? I'm trying to think of ways of making a similar thing.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Hello, it is not laced. Have to see it and how it is connected when it arrives.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

I think that it's really nice to see a re-enactor who has got soft kit to match the status of his hard kit.
There are way too many re-enactors who wear really crappy beaten in hose, held up by a belt with a shirt hanging over the top of this ensemble who emerge from their tents in full harness dripping with weaponary of every shape and form.
Were I wearing a nat now I'd be taking it off to you.
Though being a celtic fan I cannot say that red, white and blue are my favourite colours. :twisted:
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Stuart Quayle

Polearms

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Hi Felix

Will you be purchasing any polearms to use with your harness, if so what type style of polearm would you choose?

Felix

Post by Felix »

Got the breast today and had to try on with some other parts immediately.
It´s great

Felix

Post by Felix »

There have been some additions lately, still a lot of work to do (armour points are not so nicely positioned yet), and some softkit additions I got for Christmas. The buckler is one of two I made lately.
What is to be expected for the future: I have to work on the haubergeon and attach the armour points more precisely, also I will add straps and buckles on the upper cannon in addition to the points.
Ordered are polearms (Roncone, Spear), I will make an oval shaped infantry shield, a nice Aketon is to come as is a blunt sword on the Wallace A460.
Attachments
HPIM1110.JPG
HPIM1113.JPG
HPIM1118.JPG

Felix

Post by Felix »

A new addition to my kit, those tunred out really nice :). Next is another helmet and shins.
Attachments
Beinzeug.jpg

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

Felix wrote:A new addition to my kit, those tunred out really nice :). Next is another helmet and shins.
Whats the plan with the second helmet? Will it be a chapel de faire? Will you be getting it before or after the greaves? Is your intention to wear sabatons with this harness?

And now that you have leg armour as well, how long will it be till we get pictures of you wearing all your armour (including hauberk)?

Excited and interested.

Zac

Felix

Post by Felix »

Hello Zachos,
I hope it will be the helmet first, then the greaves, I will get the latter from the same smith I got the cuisse from, but he is doing some tool changes in his shop for a more convenient greave production, so I think it will take a little longer.
The haubegeon is not yet finished, the winter was too dark and cold in the evenings to work on it. At the moment I don´t think about sabatons, maybe I will be using a maille cover on the leather shoes.

The helmet will be influenced by the Wallace A74 with the addition of a visor.

When everything is finished, I can post a complete picture.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

I love the red hat in the second shot of you in armour, the green cat likes good too. You can keep the blue hose though, fearful things they are,
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Sir John Greystoke

Post by Sir John Greystoke »

Hello

Its nice to see someone doing really nice 14th century kit. I am working on mine at the moment need to get new helm and breast plate I am heading for the end of the 14th century. Where did you get the breast plate from, and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it. I am looking for something similar just not sure which armourer to go to.

thanks

Felix

Post by Felix »

Thanks, for the kind comments. I got a second woolen hose now, that is some dark brownish bordeaux colour, looks great too.

rustyfrenchman
Location: Bombing round S London on motorbike terrifying hooded youths.

Post by rustyfrenchman »

Yeah that looks good!
A balanced diet is a pie in each hand.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Hi there, it was arms time now. Got the two staffs I ordered last year. One is a spear and second a roncone. Both influenced by surviving Italian origins from the 14th cent.
Attachments
HPIM1619.JPG