Photos from the Joust for the Sword of Honor, RA, Leeds

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Gwen

Photos from the Joust for the Sword of Honor, RA, Leeds

Postby Gwen » Sat May 13, 2006 7:13 am

I usually can't get on this forum any more since the changeover but tonight seems to be my lucky night! I thought you might enjoy seeing a few images from the Joust for the Sword of Honour at the Royal Armouries, Leeds. This event was held over the Easter weekend.

Dominic Sewell, Toby Capwell and Jeff Hedgecock wait their turn to joust.

The Order of the Crescent in high spirits after their session against Destrier. L to R- Toby Capwell, Jeff Hedgecock, Steve Mallett

The Order of the Crescent in their ceremonial robes. Robes of this type can be seen in Fouquet's painting of the Order of St. Michel. L to R- Dominic Sewell, Jeffrey Hedgecock, Toby Capwell, Steve Mallet.

Jeffrey rides as a mounted squire during a session. He wears his new pleated coat, and his horse Carla wears a reproduction bridle made by Jeff. All fittings on the bridle are gold plated. Read more about this bridle in the latest issue of the HE Journal

Dominic and Fred Pireau trade strikes in a shower of splinters

Arne Koets of the Burgundians and Armouries rider Christopher Lockie trade strikes while Dominic looks on. Tom Hayman readies another lance in the background.

Dominic executes the cut and thrust at a full gallop, hitting the target perfectly.

Dominic carries the Order of the Crescent's banner. Joram van Essen, Captain of the Burgundians in the background.

Dominic, Toby and Jeff wait their turns for the rings.

Enjoy! I have another lot I can post if anyone is interested.

Gwen
Order of the Crescent
Roadie, Pit Crew

MJ

Postby MJ » Sat May 13, 2006 9:25 am

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Rod Walker

Postby Rod Walker » Sat May 13, 2006 10:18 am

Hi Gwen, fantastic pics. Post more :D

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Sat May 13, 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Rod. ;) Last set of photos- any more than 12 holiday photos and people start leaping from windows, so this is the final installment.

Lance rack with Jeff, Toby and Steve's lances ready to rock 'n roll. Jeff's lances have been tricked out with a fabulous new paint job, my surprise anniversary gift to him. On the butt, a rampant lion wearing a Crescent livery collar carries a pennon bearing Jeff's personal motto. In the grip where it will be closest to his body is a bannerole inscribed "Ave Maria, Gratia Plena" (Hail Mary, full of grace) as a protective charm. A Crescent is immediately forward of the vamplate, and the Crescent's motto "Los en Croissant" adorns the black ferrule-

Jeff waiting his turn at the cut & thrust. On the ground L to R are Rob Temple from the Armouries and Tom Hayman wearing Jeff's livery. Tom started out his career as Jeff's valet and has become a general purpose dog's body, filling in where ever needed. That's Rob Martin of Destrier on the right, mounted on a green and white caparisoned horse.

Dominic waits his turn at the cut and thrust. Dom was riding as a mounted squire this session and therefore wears civilian kit rather than armour for this exercise.

Fred Piraux of the Burgundians vs. the Armouries Andrew Barnforth

4 days of jousting resulted in a tied score between the Order of the Crescent and Destrier, necessitating a final "joust off" between team captains Toby Capwell and Dom Sewell. Neither struck in the first tiebreaker pass, so there was a second pass in which Dom scored 4 points to Toby's 3 points, securing the win for Destrier.

I think I figured out why I haven't been able to access the site- I'm running and old browser at home. It works a treat here at work from my new computer. Doh! :roll:

Gwen

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Sun May 14, 2006 12:14 pm

wow.

Absolutely stunning photos :)

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun May 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Gobsmacked. Lovely stuff! The bridle! Wow.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Crystal De- Canter

honour

Postby Crystal De- Canter » Mon May 15, 2006 7:19 pm

:P fab pictures, something to aspire to!

Meg

Postby Meg » Mon May 22, 2006 1:45 pm

Gwen

Fab photos! Thanks for posting them - wish I could have been there! Rupert and I finally heard the scoresby text message, which wasn't quite the same!

That bridle is beautiful, I'm so impressed. Love Dom's new doublet, too :wink:

Sian

Return to “Pictures”