Almain rivet armour

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Almain rivet armour

Post by Mark Griffin »

Lucky enough to have got an almain armour from Per Lillelund Jensen, a fantastic armourer working in Scandinavia. He's probably done more of these than anyone else, he's really got a good eye for it and has done a lot of study on this area. Based on various extant items in English collections public and private. Will be used for this summers 'Clash of Kingdom' events at EH sites in the North.

Was going to be linseed oil blacked but Per said the shapes got a bit lost so the matt polish it now has shows it off better.
Attachments
Almain3.jpg
Almain2.jpg
Almain armour.jpg
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Re: Almain rivet armour

Post by Fox »

Dude! Sweet!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Yes, i am rather pleased, very nice outcome to the project. Have to say that Fred Ryalls work for Tod is looking v nice too.

I just didn't want to go down the 'its dads armour from Bosworth with a different hat' approach. And I'm not even doing the Flodden event!
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

I'm afraid, I have sort of done "old fashioned armour" updated route.

I've changed and helmet, swapped bevoir for a gorget, new lamed tassets and new bears paw sabatons.

I should have some pictures of it all together next week, so we'll see what people make of it.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

updating is fine. Recycling is fine. But an armour that's getting on in years is a lot different to one that was made in the 1470's style but only a couple of years old in reality. Especially if you want to be in a decent unit, with new armour being supplied (Scottish especially) and new distinctive styles at that.

Anyway, off to dig up King Arthur for a tv thingy, Glastonbury here we come!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

A very nice example.

I was looking at the one in Winchester the other week and was struck by how nicely it was shaped and made, even though it's 'cheap and nasty' 'munitions grade' armour.

Best wishes

Colin
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Emrys or 'Master M' did the restoration work on that 35 yrs ago, says he'll dig out the pics of its original state at some point which will be interesting to see....

Mike Garrett
Post Centurion

Post by Mike Garrett »

Very nice indeed!

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Fox wrote:I'm afraid, I have sort of done "old fashioned armour" updated route.

I've changed helmet, swapped bevoir for a gorget, new lamed tassets and new bears paw sabatons.

I should have some pictures of it all together next week, so we'll see what people make of it.
There you go....
Thomas Berkeley, before Flodden.
Thomas Berkeley, before Flodden.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Shiney! Looking good to trounce the Scots in...never a bad thing! :-)

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

You flash git!

It's really nice to see some-one looking the part! :D Go get them sir! :thumbup:
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Mark Griffin wrote:Yes, i am rather pleased, very nice outcome to the project. Have to say that Fred Ryalls work for Tod is looking v nice too.
Fred didn't make mine. The Almein rivet and my casonette was made by Adam Blockley. The arms and gauntlets were started by Willy Trambone and Co in Ukraine and finished by Graham Ashford at Greenleaf, unfortunatly the gorget is way too small and Martin Bevin is making me another one. My bellows face sallet was made by St Georges Armoury. I said I didn't want to do armour :lol:

I was going paint mine but time is against me and it looks better as it is.

Griff that set is most excellent, but then why is that not a surprise.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Sorry for the misappropriation! Freds would have been just as good had he made it. But Adam has done a fine job plus the others. Apart from the bits that don't work...

Mine just been collected from a workshop in Sweden and on the way......