You're History - Broadlands Park 2012

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

SirUlf

You're History - Broadlands Park 2012

Postby SirUlf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Went with the family to the You're History multi-period event this weekend. After the rather damp squid of Herstmonceux we were a bit apprehensive, but we needn't have worried as the whole event was nothing short of brilliant. Not a leather corset or pair of sunglasses in sight. The medieval participation was rather light, which was a bit surprising, but the groups who were there all did a great job, from Greek Hoplites to Vikings, Napoleonic, US Civil War and Wild West and up to modern day. It was almost too much to take in and it felt like you had to run from one event to the other, which in the circumstances is quite a nice problem to have. If anyone from the forum was there, in whatever capacity, really great job. Hopefully I can talk my group to attend next year, and where are the Crusaders? Get yourself down next year too. In fact, pretty much anyone should get there. Not much in the way of traders, but what there was was mostly quite good.

If someone does attend next year, bring ear protectors for the kids, there's A LOT of banging. The parade and lineup at the end really brought home the human side of why we do reenactment; if any of us attending had been born in a different time, chances are it would have been us up there, but for real.

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Re: You're History - Broadlands Park 2012

Postby Bad Viking » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 am

looks excellent -- thank you for posting this !! :D

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

Maureen

Postby Maureen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 am

I was there as a trader, and yes, Saturday was great (though very little money about), but Sunday couldn't have been more different - the awful weather led to the show being cancelled at midday, such a shame, but with the ground being so wet and muddy it was the sensible thing to do.
I'm fortunate enough to live just eight miles from the site so the prospect of packing up and getting home with a lot of wet kit wasn't as bad as it could have been. Really feel for those who had long journeys to make before they could get home and thaw out - even more so for the hardy few who I think stayed on till this morning in the hope of better weather.....so far not happening. I shall still be back for next year if it happens again....

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Lots more pics from redzebra http://www.redzebraphoto.co.uk/youre_history.html

Saturday was perfect. Sunday could not have been much worse. One of my favourite events of the year. Sort of Kelmarsh lite but with non-british history groups represented.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 am

Must agree...it was a splendid event. It rounded off my group's (the Prussian 1/3rd Silesian Landwehr...you know, the ones who look like fighting traffic wardens!) first proper season with a very satisfying 'bang' (literally). Mind you, even though the Sunday weather was 'minging' we still managed to have a fantastic and slightly 'manic' skirmish through the soaking woods in order to drive off the perfidious 'Johnny Francois' (who were ably supported by some ACW 'types' who switched uniforms/kit in order to have some fun!).

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am

Any more pics of the Impi warrior?

"I never said that I was here to help."

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:Any more pics of the Impi warrior?

:devil: Wouldn't the film have been different if: :devil:

"Zulu, sir. One of them."

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

Return to “Pictures”