The Great Tournament of St Wendel

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Andreas

The Great Tournament of St Wendel

Postby Andreas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Beautiful video to promote Germany's first proper medieval tournament in 500 years. What do people think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PX_yiGpfWU

Quanti Adversarii + Tantus Honor

Stuart Quayle

Re: The Great Tournament of St Wendel

Postby Stuart Quayle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Great video Andreas, very atmospheric 8-)

BTW - the harness worn by the guy in the Great Bascinet looks superb, do you know which armourer made it?

Regards
Stuart Q

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Stuart, the guy in the video is Joram van Essen. If the name doesn't ring a bell, he's a very long-standing and rather illustrious member of the international jousting community, won the Queen's Jubilee Horn once and the Sword of Honour with the Burgundian team a few times.

As to his armour, it was my belief that he had made his armour himself while living in New Zealand until year before last. I might very well be mistaken though, and a post on Facebook suggests that his armour was made by somebody in New Zealand called Paul Barbedes. Who that is, I have no idea.

Sorry I can't be of more help :)

Quanti Adversarii + Tantus Honor

Stuart Quayle

Postby Stuart Quayle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Many thanks Andreas for the information.

Well, if Joram made that harness he is very talented indeed, it looks a damned good custom fit with good detailing whoever made it.

Joram van Essen

Postby Joram van Essen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 am

Hello,

Yes the armour was a collaborative effort between Paul (a very talented part time armourer in Taranaki, New Zealand) and Myself working on it part time over a couple of years while I was in New Zealand. The whole thing is heat treated spring steel, designed for solid lance jousting and rebated steel polaxe fighting. The visor on it in the film clip is the polaxe visor, it also has a jousting visor and I still need to make the mounted melee visor (bar grill).

Stuart Quayle

Postby Stuart Quayle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 am

Hi Joram

Super workmanship in any case and working in Spring Steel must have been hard work also.

Wow! the bar-faced Melee helmet will look fantastic, can't wait to see gthe pics of that.

Many thanks for the info.

Kind regards
Stuart Q

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 am

Looking forward to the event and helping out with things. Will enjoy getting a closer look at all the armour as I pick bits of it and people up off the lists ;-)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Joram is a nice chap and is the only guy I know who combines the skills of jouster, professional soldier, primary school teacher and interpreter. I'll be at st wendel, will be the highlight of the year. My two joust royal armours will b there on Dr Capwell and Mr Sewell.

Going to be awesome!

Griff

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:12 am

I'll be there as well. Preferably as a reenactor, if that's not possible then as a visitor!

Return to “Pictures”