Waterloo 2011

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

CraigofYork

Re: Waterloo 2011

Postby CraigofYork » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:24 am

some very nice photos there, looks like it was good fun!

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:20 am

It was quiet this year by Waterloo standards. Numbers are restricted by a different amount each year as the organisers try new combinations in prep. for the 2015 bicentennial. Which will be huge. For a Napoleonic enthusiast 2015 will be one of the most significant experiences of my life- sad, eh? The organisers are preparing for 10K re-enactors, so if anyone would like to be involved in 2015, find yourself a host unit now!

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 pm

I can't open the facebook video. I do love Phil Thomason's pictures, in particular the series about the capture of the Eagle, for obvious reasons. I definitely enjoyed myseld, as can be seen here:

http://www.thomason-photography.net/Waterloo/Plancenoit2011/Cavalry/large-18.html

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Looked like you had fun Alex, and it was fab riding against you guys at Albuera..!

We'll see you at Waterloo next year at any rate.

EDIT
And nice pictures Ben..!

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 am

Agincourt-WW1-Waterloo. I vote we get the powers that be to not put significant happenings so close together.

Waterloo 2015 will be a bit crowded I think....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 am

Crowded is good for Napoleonic, especially for this battle :) What would be lovely would be the right sort of crowded, and for me, that means appropriate rank structure. The NA and appropriate other bodies work to keep some sanity to rank structure, but this needs to be maintained, or improved for such a vast expansion as 2015 promises to be. The spectre of 100 Rip van Winkle eBay Rifles Officers all in overalls, carrying rifles, pelisses swinging en masse muttering Sharpisms wakes me in a chilled sweat..

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:16 am

Hmmm, the meat grinder of waterloo as opposed to the wide sweeping killing grounds of Albuera.

I look forward to the 'Charge' of the Union Brigade! Although if any jock attempts to hitch a lift on my stirrups he will find out just how impractical it is :-)

I second your words on rank strucure. Being shouted at by my cpl or sgt gets me all excited.... and after affecting a captain at the weekend at Apsley I'd just be too worried about my various bits of gold braid catching on something.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:58 am

I have to ask Ben, do you see many Rifle officers with a '96 heavy pattern sword - I'm not sure if that would be the No.1 one cringe factor, or have you found worse.

Rank structure - As one of my mates who joined the thin red line for the first time put it this year "there's at least one officer for every three men, and usually a sergeant out of the ranks also shouting at everyone within 15 feet of them"

The cavalry organisation is now sorted to mitigate for the shortcomings we suffered last year. We are aiming at blocks of 12 (which can be further brigaded, or split in two) as the core building blocks.
A frontage of 12 is a half squadron, so a good place to start.

Griff, for someone who does not do "cowboys and indians" you are quite enjoying this aren't you :)
(and a striking figure you set too..!)

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 am

Au contriaire, I do, and have done, tons of cowpokes and injuns stuff but mostly for filthy lucre on various media projects plus in the hordes of muddyevils since about 86/87. Where there is/was no structure whatsoever and everone could be an individual mercenary for hire with big sword, flouncy shirt and flouncier hair.

This era does seem to be a bit more along the lines of wargaming mentality and with a 'script' that makes a bit more sense and can be performed with more rationale and realism. Thank goodness we heavies have lost their alternative roll of dismounted infantry by the era I seem to have found myself in as without a mount it holds no interest for me. I barely notice the infantry once engaged quite frankly apart from getting them out of hooves with a special device at the end of the day. Its also a roll where i can see that hard work pays off and all the cav units that pay attention to the 3 D's (Dressing, Discipline and detail) look fab and perform most damnedly well.

There of course infantry units of that ilk and its a pleasure to bimble along side them.

The fact that I have met many thoroughly decent helpful chaps into the bargain is great too.

Roll on the possibility of stepping back to doing a late civil war/restoration unit and off to Tangiers for 'moor' fun if we can!

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:23 am

wurzul wrote:The spectre of 100 Rip van Winkle eBay Rifles Officers all in overalls, carrying rifles, pelisses swinging en masse muttering Sharpisms wakes me in a chilled sweat..

:D
Could not agree more!

Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:06 am

Its not the Officers from established units that I dread, each to his own and all that, and very good they are too, but the poor chaps who will inevitably turn up at Waterloo 2015, dressed by Sharpe's eBay, unitless, without even a chosen man to call their own. Perhaps we could form a Coy of them and pit them against a squadron of Napoleons? I just hope these chaps come out of the woodwork early enough to be guided towards a more constructive participation. Can't help feeling they'll have more fun in the ranks, than wandering around on foot looking for some vague 'staff role' to fulfil, while seasoned re-enactors sneer unkindly(ain't we good at that, to our shame). Could well have been there myself- my first kit was a 7e Hussard Capitaine rig, luckily I met with good guidance and a timely boot up the *rse, and the kit was relegated to film gigs and Balls.
This is one of those eras where a well drilled uniform mass of automatons really gives more flavour of the period than the spectacular individual. If you want spectacular, however, theres always the light cavalry ;)
@Andy, personal bugbears on kit? Not biting! There is a version of Rifle Officer impression I'd like to see that no-one seems to be doing that I'd love to see or do, but hey, I only made Chosen Man once and was busted back down within days :)
When's your next cavalry drill school?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 am

Hi Ben,

training will re-start in the Autumn - do you want me to keep you informed of it?

Cheers,
Andy

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:55 am

Well I'm going as Sir Thomas Picton, that way I don't have to spend tons on a silly uniform and get the evening off.

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:22 am

@ Andy, yes please.
@Griff, wasn't Picton pre-wounded at Quatre Bras? You might have to get somebody to break your ribs Friday night to accurately re-create Picton's Waterloo seat. :)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 am

You've obviously never seen me ride!

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:18 am

Make him joust against Toby a week or two before the event....

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:26 am

We actually had a rifles officer with us a few years ago. He asked if he could join us and he was rather good, and his kit was not too bad :) But I did have someone come up to me on Armed Forces Day and ask where he could get a rifles officer tunic to complete his Sharpes Vampire costume! Hmm, lets hope he doesn't find his way to Waterloo.

On silly uniforms, the most interesting one could be the Humphreyville Hussars 1813.........

Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:23 am

Mark Griffin wrote:I look forward to the 'Charge' of the Union Brigade! .

Isn't your glorious leader red-carded from the Waterloo event?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:30 am

No.

More than that I am not of sufficient rank to comment. Ask the powers that be.

And I also have Scots Grey kit so I don't have to be the English part of the Brigade. There are two Eagles to be had after all!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:36 am

so if you see a lone grey chased by 70 plus angry gallic fellows, that'll be me.

Return to “Pictures”