Vainly me.

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

STEENIE

Vainly me.

Postby STEENIE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Here is a photograph of me taken at The United States National Cavalry Competion, held at San Angelo, Texas last year 2010. Here I am winning the' First' for best turnout and authenticity. I look a bit red in the face as it was a blazing hot day 8-)
Attachments
DSCN13481.jpg

We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Re: Vainly me.

Postby Lord Byron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:37 pm

STEENIE wrote:... Here I am winning the' First' for best turnout and authenticity. I look a bit red in the face as it was a blazing hot day 8-)

What unit/era is being portrayed?

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:48 pm

The class was: 'Cold War Allies'

Period: Between the World Wars

Unit: Northamptonshire Yeomanry

The horse was turned out well but the total finish to it was beyond my control.

We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:48 pm

STEENIE wrote:The class was: 'Cold War Allies'

Period: Between the World Wars

Unit: Northamptonshire Yeomanry

The horse was turned out well but the total finish to it was beyond my control.

I ask as from what I can see in the picture a couple of the bits of soft kit you're wearing look rather more post-WW2, the very light shirt and tie for example, and the SD jacket looks like it is of fairly recent manufacture. Officers almost never wore the white lanyard either (only seen it done once in a WW1 context, most used khaki whistle lanyards if necessary), and at this time most Officers still wore blackened/bronzed cap and collar badges (easy to make less conspicuous with some black modelling paint).

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Lord Byron,

Thankyou for showing interest although I can't remember asking for a critique. All of the kit I am wearing, is of the period even down to the Officers Cap Badge (Gold and Silver) and original, that cost me over £250. Bought from the NYA and discussed the way it should be worn with that Unit ( and if you don't mind me saying, who were there then). Indeed, I did suggest having a bronze one and they were categoric in me not doing so, that includes the dogs. The shirt and tie is as of the mid war period. There was no set colour for shirts for officers. Again, before I wore it I discussed it with Officers who were there. Indeed some cavalry units wore white and still do. The SD is again original and of the correct vintage. It is of the Bays Pattern as worn by certain units of Cavalry including Yeomanry and is fitted with shoulder chains. Whilst the coat came without shoulde chains, I know the NY wore them on SD and this jacket still had the hooks where they had been fitted before. The breeches are again original of the correct vintage made in Saville Row for an Officer of Yeomanry. As for the lanyard, if I was at war maybe not white but i aint, and nor is the kit I am wearing. As it is, I have an issue knife on the end of it with the point of the rope thingy rounded off as a la cavalry. I have a knife, not because I am doing a make believe thing. I know the other bits of kit are outside of your ken, but you may have noticed I am on a horse and therefore it is a necessary item to have. I am wearing my whistle on my Sam brown as Heavy Cavalry do. Boots hand made to Cavalry pattern brown, field, with issue spurs.

All of this kit is original (but for the boots as they were made for me),and of the period and therefore cannot be wrong, no matter what pamphlet you are getting your information from says. Indeed some of the judges were horrified so much of my kit was original as they felt it should be in a museum :)

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Ah, but as with the sadly now defunct 'amiperiodornot.com' website-posting any photo is an invitation to comment.

Whilst I don't know Lord Byron, I do know that he has a lot of knowledge on Great War kit and clothing.

Nice palomino. :D

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:58 pm

He may have, but he isn't right on atleast on the shirts. Besides, as I have said before, this is not Great War, what has his knowledge on this subject to do with the price of eggs or its application? Even if it was, I think rubbishing someones efforts is a poor show. My Mum used to say: 'you don't make yourself look big by trying to make others look small' She was very wise my Mum!

I will say however, I come here for open handed and friendly chat. Therefore if it that means sitting down to have to listen to someone be 'clever' then I would rather not. If you look at the photo again and look at the face, do you think it looks bothered what Lord Byron has to say? You decide :wink:

I had worked the Palomino for a week for 6 hours a day before the event to get it to speak English. :D As you can see he has learnt some but I wasn't allowed to turn him out as 'English' as I would have liked. Nonetheless, with a polish he did come out rather well. Nicely behaved and lovely personality. Did you know that the other name for a Palomino is Isabella supposedly named so after the colour of Queen Isabella of Portugal's undergarments.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:25 pm

I did! And that Mr Ed was a famous Palomino.

My second pony was a Palomino, plodding old fart. Sold her on to get my Roan. Bless the old nag...

I think the reason your ensemble does look a bit weird is that the horse is turned out like a Yank! I was engaged to a chap who's mother bred walking horses and they always looked stupidly 'girly' :D

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:40 pm

'I think the reason your ensemble does look a bit weird is that the horse is turned out like a Yank! I was engaged to a chap who's mother bred walking horses and they always looked stupidly 'girly'

HAHAHHAHHA Very funny and so true!! Oh to have been allowed to have pulled that mane and dumped that tail :D

What is even more sad, the other horse I had worked up for the main competition, had reared up and rolled over onto me 3 days before the above photo. Left me with torn back muscles, broken ribs in my back and torn lungs (I say lungs not lung as I dont know which one covered me in blood from my mouth and nose as I lay on the floor lol). The bad luck was, that I was only 2 hours from the main competition. The good luck was, the military nurses filled me with morphine so my team could put me in the saddle for the competition I won in the photo. What you can't see is my ground crew hovering around waiting for me to fall out of the saddle and a mounted soldier waiting to chase me if I sodded off. lol

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 am

Lord Byron (very poetic name :) ), I do not want to develop a problem between us as there is no need. I am sure life is too short for both of us to be so. Therefore let us move forward in a state of good cheer. :thumbup:

As a side note, atleast about shirts, in the Great War I am sure I read somewhere that officers from either Staff or new guys coming up to the Front were spotted by their light shirts. I will try to dig that out.

Here is a photograph below, of Lord Guildford who was the Colonel of the Hertfordshire Yeomanry, taken on his Charger in 1914. I would like to draw your attention to his shirt and tie.

Anyway, I hope life is good for you and I wish you well.
Attachments
Lord Guildford Herts Yeomanry 1914.jpg

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 am

Very early war on high ranking officers or Staff as I understand it.

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 pm

:thumbup:

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Here is another officer of the Harts (their spelling), Yeomanry. Note, he is in 'wind-up' sd, so not early in the war. Not only has he a light shirt and tie but his cap badge and dogs are bright. Also note he is not of any staff nor is he of General rank. Indeed nor was Lord Guildford.

Here is a strip of recipients of the VC in 1916. Each photo says where it was won. As you can see, unless these guys have got it wrong (how?), bright badges seem to be in profusion.

Unless further comments are humourous and/or constructive this will be my last post on this thread.
Attachments
harts yeomanry.jpg
bright vc.jpg

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:38 pm

STEENIE wrote:Here is a strip of recipients of the VC in 1916. Each photo says where it was won. As you can see, unless these guys have got it wrong (how?), bright badges seem to be in profusion.

Except all those wearing badges pictured are Other Ranks and Non-Commissioned Officers - Private, Private, Corporal, Lance Corporal - and are not Officers. For Service Dress, OR's/NCO's generally wore brass or bi-metal badges which were expected to be kept highly polished, as opposed to the vast majority of Officers at this time who wore blackened/bronzed cap and collar badges. There are of course exceptions to these (for example OR's/NCO's in Rifle regiments often wore black pressed horn buttons and blackened cap badges), but they are very much in the minority.

Perhaps you would care to post some better close-ups of your kit, such as the lanyard and jacket in particular, or a few inter-war period photographs of Officers in the Northamptonshire Yeomanry to back up your assertions and portrayal?

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Lord Byron wrote:
STEENIE wrote:Here is a strip of recipients of the VC in 1916. Each photo says where it was won. As you can see, unless these guys have got it wrong (how?), bright badges seem to be in profusion.

Except all those wearing badges pictured are Other Ranks and Non-Commissioned Officers - Private, Private, Corporal, Lance Corporal - and are not Officers. For Service Dress, OR's/NCO's generally wore brass bi-metal badges which were expected to be kept highly polished, as opposed to the vast majority of Officers at this time who wore blackened/bronzed cap and collar badges. There are of course exceptions to these (for example OR's/NCO's in Rifle regiments often wore black pressed horn buttons and blackened cap badges), but they are very much in the minority.

Perhaps you would care to post some better close-ups of your kit, such as the lanyard and jacket in particular, or a few inter-war period photographs of Officers in the Northamptonshire Yeomanry to back up your assertions and portrayal?

Obviously you have been trying to look into The NY with little success. Indeed if you had been less critical in things you seem so wrong about (look to the above), I may be in a good humour to help you out. However, I have decided to just say to you with regard to your jaundiced request - NO! I didn't need to prove myself to you then and I don't need to now. Why you think yourself so special that anyone would need to lay their impression before you for sanction is beyond me anyway. Why you would also think I would let you into my collection of contemprary information on the Yeomanry is beyond me as you have not endeared yourself to me with your unpleasant ways

Lost causes are just that, lost causes and should not be given anymore effort as they will always be just that. If I may advise you. There are some very knowledgeable and senior people to you on this site who have probably been studying this subject longer than you have been alive. I am sure, if in the past you had demonstrated the same mind set you have demonstrated on this thread, it is no small wonder that you have hit a wall in your learning, else you would now be talking from a better base of knowledge than you have currently shown here.

I suggest you re-read your signature and apply it to yourself.

As far as I am concerned, as I have said before, unless this thread has humour or is constructive I am finished with it.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:45 pm

I thought he was trying to be costructive, could certainly see no malice in his post Steenie.
K

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 pm

It has been raining all day today. But that didn't stop me and one of my lads going out for a good hack. He is Garrabawn Lad, an 18:2 TB X. He used to be my old showjumper, besides all of the reenactment he has done for me. Now, as he is nearly 30!! he is just one of my best friends and he still likes to go out and show me what he thinks he still can do. An absolute character. My wife took these 2 photos of us as we came onto our yard.

With horses living history starts at home and is an every day thing.
Attachments
10022011561.jpg
10022011560.jpg

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Here is the same photo above that I have stuck through the aging photo program I have spoken about on another thread:
Attachments
garraandstanagedlol.jpg

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Garr... what do you mean by parading all of your beeauuutiful horses around on here? :D :D :D

Don't make me come over there! (and pat your horses and kiss their noses. 'cos they'd hate that!)

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 pm

lidimy wrote:Garr... what do you mean by parading all of your beeauuutiful horses around on here? :D :D :D

Don't make me come over there! (and pat your horses and kiss their noses. 'cos they'd hate that!)

I am sorry !! :D

If you can't bear it, you are welcome to come over and pat and kiss them as much as you want :thumbup:

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Terrifyingly close to taking you up on that offer :lol:

would you describe him as a hunter? he looks like a proper man's horse.

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:51 pm

I would call him an English Hunter although he was bred in Ireland. The draught in him is Clydesdale to give him the presence to his obvious Thorobred ancestory. He was bred for one thing. Puissance jumping. He was a good cross as whilst he is relatively wide in the hips so stable and good on the turn in the jump, he is narrow in the body yet with good heart room, so he is economic in his weight on his legs for landing. He is withered with a good shoulder, this combined with his tb narrowness makes him good to the leg with a quick response and a turn of speed. This has meant, that whilst, in his past, he was a regular on the circuit and could, in his time take a 2 metre jump, he has no wind galls or thoropins. He is very clever in his jumping and is more than capable to give a flying change in the air over the jump to change the leading leg into the next, yet, due to the lack of upper body weight able to throw a quick turn or get himself out of trouble.

As far as him being a man's horse, this is true as he is very strong, very brave and has a need to go. You may have worked that out by what I have in his mouth and the length of the cheek pieces on his 6.5'' Pelham. However, when I broke my back in a jumping accident a while ago (not on Garra I might add), my wife, who is 5 foot tall and weighs about 8 stone managed to exercise him for me. Although she said, she felt like she was going out on her Dad's horse and Garra 'let' her ride him. :)
Last edited by STEENIE on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:02 pm

So he's not only big and clever, but he's a gentleman too.
He looks in marvelous shape for his age, he is obviously well appreciated. I may have to join Lidimy.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

road trip for horse petting? Yes please!

Steenie you love your horse don't you? I think that comes through very clearly!

My mum (German) is always amused by the weird breed combinations used in British riding. I hink TBx Clydesdale would be a good example! obviously in Germany they're obsessed with their immaculate cavalry-esque warmbloods and find these English concoctions a bit of an oddity! There was one at my stables, your horse reminds me of him :D again, a deep chested hunter-type, strong head but terrified of pigs...

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:18 pm

lucy the tudor wrote:So he's not only big and clever, but he's a gentleman too.
He looks in marvelous shape for his age, he is obviously well appreciated. I may have to join Lidimy.

A bit like me (maybe) :wink:

You are more than welcome :thumbup:

Here is another few photos of the pair of us in a more, relevant format :)

Now you have me on a roll, he is another one of my boys called Wizard a 16:2 Black Anglo Arab :D
Attachments
wizardweb.jpg
steenie with his horse 001.jpg
steenie with his horse 003.jpg

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Gorgeous.
I think if you love horses it's in your blood. Whenver I see someone out on a hack or the local hunt it makes me keen to get back on a horse.
K

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh gosh... drooling over my laptop now! What a GORGEOUS face he has! just melts! :$

and an Anglo-Arab. A true black? he's beauutiful :D

Miss Costello, right with you... itching to get back in the saddle now...

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:45 pm

As black as a very black hat but a little bit blacker :D

He is a Wyvern Anglo Arab

A great dressage horse,very clever and gifted. Will jump if asked too but is scared of his shadow and is more than dangerous to take out of the school. He once tried to jump me off of a bridge over the M1 onto the carriageway just because he saw a plastic bag. He is beautiful though and moves like a God in the menage.

Wizard and I walking and

Here he is again a bit too over bent, doing a half pass to the right at trot. My left leg is too noisey in the asking :)
Attachments
wizardweb3.jpg
wizardweb2.jpg

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:53 pm

You have all been kind to me and my boys but I really think it isn't me but my horses :D

You guys, don't sit and talk about it!!! Go for it and get back into the saddle!! You know it makes sense :thumbup:

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm a student and a moment in the saddle is expensive these days!

we like looking at your horses, you like talking about them, everyone's happy :D :D :D

Return to “Pictures”