Spear / Partizan boffers.

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Dave B
Post Knight

Spear / Partizan boffers.

Post by Dave B »

I've been having a play with 'safety bills' for training. the idea was to have something suitable for beginers to train with, or for more experienced people to use to try moves which would otherwise not be safe, such as the thrusts to face and cuts to head shown in many treateses.

I'd better start by saying that this isn't my idea, I pinched it from a class at S.W.A.S.H. (http://www.swash2010.com/). The class was was run by the 1595 club (http://www.the1595.co.uk/) who are a HEMA group from Sussex who study Saviolo - they've put a lot of thought into it.

Anyway, here are the basic spears, in a blue peter stylee.

You will need
3 rattan canes, between 6 and 8 feet long
Duct Tape, prefferably 1 roll black, 1 roll silver
about 60p in 2P pieces.
Industrial heatshrink
a hot air gun.
1" Heavy duty foam pipe lagging
10 minutes.

1. Tape three canes together in a very tight bundle. I found it easies to put a couple of bands of tape along the length, then spiral it up.

2. Make a stack of 2p pieces 2" tall, and tape them together to form a cylindrical weight.

3. Tape them temporarily in place

4. Put the industrial heatshrink over the top

5. Use the heat gun to shrink it on, fixing it perminantly in place.

6. Cut 4 or 5 circles from spare foam lagging, to make a pad to stop the canes sliding through to the end. I used a bit of 1" copper pipe slightly sharpened to cut the circles, but you could do it by hand.

7. Cut castelations into the head of a foot long peice of lagging to allow it to pull closed to a point. insert the circles into the center to stop the canes coming right up to the end

8. Stick it on the end of the bundle of canes, over the top of the wieght, and start taping roung it VERY tightly, so the foam is compressed.

9. I went over the head with Silver tape, just for the look of the thing:

I also put a smaller foam cover on the butt end, but without the weight.

These can then be used to try some of the riskier thrusts, especialy used with a fencing mask. It all looks a bit LARP perhaps, but it does allow you to get an appreciation of what a nasty and versatile weapon they are.

(pictures are Nik Doran and Ian Macintyre).

They do break relatively easily, but they fix easily too, and I recon you can make 10 for £30 in a couple of hours.

m0rt

Re: Spear / Partizan boffers.

Post by m0rt »

These are obscenely good fun!
Why I do maths: http://xkcd.com/435/

Mark Lancaster

Post by Mark Lancaster »

Dave,

It's been a while since you first posted this - how have you found these as a waster design after prolonged use?

We're looking for spear wasters for SWASH 2012 and these could be ideal.

Cheers,

Mark

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Oddly enough I discussed the same thing breifly with Rob Lovatt.

The shafts hold up fine, However be aware that although they are wasters they are like shinai - very stiff on the thrust, and can still really hurt hands on the cut unless you have good gloves.

The attaching of the weights to the end was a weak point, but I'm not sure you need to bother - I was trying to simulate the balance point of a partizan, if it's a spear waster I don't think you need it, as spear heads can be pretty light.

The pipe lagging gets wrecked after a few sessions, but its a one minute repair as long as you have a roll of gaffer tape, so I think they would do for you, if you make a few spares for people to 'swap out'. They are really cheap to make, especialy if you buy the canes in a big bundle and get your duct tape from the pound shop as I did,

I also looked at 25mm Polypropelene rigid water pipe which is better diameter and a better wieght, if you can get it at a good price, although it is a little bendier, which can be a good or bad thing depending what you want to do with them.

Don't be tempted by PVC pipe, seems good and easy to come by, but snaps.

http://www.pipestock.com/pph/pipe/10-bar/

Anything I can do to help?
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Mark Lancaster

Post by Mark Lancaster »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - really useful information. I didn't realise Rob had been in touch as well - so I'll have a chat with him about which way we should go. We're looking for cheap/effective spear wasters for the class at SWASH.

I'll be back :)

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

I nicked this Idea from the 1595 lot, who had about 20+ of them for a class they did for swash in 2010, you may not have seen it as I seem to remember that it was on sunday afternoon, so probably the same time as one or other tournament.

It might be worth talking to Chris Chatfield, and seeing if he has any further tips, or he might even still have access to some of the ones they had for that class?
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.