Castle Rushen 2009

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Stuart Quayle

Castle Rushen 2009

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Some pics from the July "Medieval Experience" at Castle Rushen, in the Isle of Man.

I did the arms and armour presentation and my portrayal was of William de Montacute - 2nd Earl of Salisbury and Lord of Mann between 1344 to 1392.

The lovely shield was made and painted by the very talented - John Watson of 'Shields and Shoes'.
Attachments
APic1.jpg
APic3.jpg
APic4.jpg

Stuart Quayle

Some more pics.

Post by Stuart Quayle »

A few more photos.
Attachments
APic7.jpg
APic6.jpg
APic2.jpg

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

nice is that a building I spy in the background ?
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

Yes, its one of the building we built back in the 1991 & 1992 visits to the castle

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

so despite my efforts to blow em up they survive

well built that man

was it that long ago
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Stuart Quayle

Buildings.

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Hi Nigel and Merlon

Yes, those 'outbuildings' were built for the ECW Sealed Knot displays at Castle Rushen, (must be some 25 years ago at least) and damned fine structures they are too - still going strong.

Hee hee, although Manx National Heritage recently had to get the nesting pigeons out and the professional cleaners in to fumigate the huts, which sort of took away some of their rustic charm I thought :lol:

Really hope the Sealed Knot get back en masse to the Castle Rushen soon ... they used to put on excellent shows.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

Sadly the Sealed Knot can claim no credit for those buildings, they were built by members of Robert Overtons Regiment of the English Civil War Society in June / July 1991.
Some of those planks have my blood on them!
In the first year I was part of the honour guard for The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Derby MC. for the reopening ceremony for Castle Rushen following its refurbishment.
Nigel attended the second years event

Stuart Quayle

Whoops!

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Whoops! sorry Merlon for my gaff.

Well, please get over again soon, the castle needs re-enactors badly to bring the place to life. It has been decades years since the ECW and War of the Roses groups have been over and all are sorely missed!

I have a long-term strategy to try and get some 14th century Scottish groups over for the 700th anniversary of the (1313AD) Scottish invasion of the Isle of Man by Robert the Bruce and his forces in 2013, but unfortunately private funding has proved fruitless so far. I will keep trying.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Merlon. wrote:Sadly the Sealed Knot can claim no credit for those buildings, they were built by members of Robert Overtons Regiment of the English Civil War Society in June / July 1991.
Some of those planks have my blood on them!
In the first year I was part of the honour guard for The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Derby MC. for the reopening ceremony for Castle Rushen following its refurbishment.
Nigel attended the second years event
cheeky git I was at all the rushens apart from the last one

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

Sorry Nigel,
I was the only none Overton at the first event.
You, Fagin and Ronan joined in from number two onwards just in time for the sack of Peel Castle.
(Don't worry though the dress and the potatoes will remain a closed book)

Stuart Quayle

Dress and potatos

Post by Stuart Quayle »

"(Don't worry though the dress and the potatoes will remain a closed book)"

There must be a good story here ... pray tell :lol:

bonnacon

Post by bonnacon »

Stu....lovely lovely pics! The fluted bascinet is just superb.
Vivimus vivamus!

Stuart Quayle

Fluted Bascinet.

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Many thanks Nigel - a Polish armourer friend called Greg Kulig aka "Thorkill" made it for me some years ago when he was beginning to expand his repertoire from viking and dark age into medieval armour.

Greg hand forged the helm from two halves and it does possess a lovely authentic appearance to it.

Here is a pic of the helm in progress and the finshed product. It is a replica of the fluted cervelliere worn by Sir John d'Aubernoun in 1340.

Best wishes
Stu

PS. Your new banner from Gerald looks very smart
Attachments
Fluted bascinet - basin started.jpg
Bascinet L.front.jpg

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Merlon. wrote:Sorry Nigel,
I was the only none Overton at the first event.
You, Fagin and Ronan joined in from number two onwards just in time for the sack of Peel Castle.
(Don't worry though the dress and the potatoes will remain a closed book)
nope me and Mick and you were there at the first one I checked with Steve as was Bill and a number of Foxes assumign it was the first one you built the buildings for cos I remember Lord DERBUY ROCKING UP

Ronan was at number 2

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

Fair enough, sign of my age and memory failing.
Apologies to Stuart for CUBAing this thread

Stuart Quayle

Feel free to CUBA!

Post by Stuart Quayle »

No apologies necessary Merlon, it's interesting to find out the quality of groups we got over to the island all those years ago 8)

Got me pike ready for when the ECW groups get over again (pics attached). This jobby was carved out of a 16 feet long plank of English Ash by a wood carver friend and a nice Morris (Moorish) pikehead from J&J fitted.

It's funny, out of all the staff-weapons I produce for my weapons talk the kids always home-in on the pike first. Then it's time to que possibly the worst joke of the century ... "Have you ever been hit by a wet fish? (thoughts of a certain Monty Python sketch materialize in my mind) Well let me tell you that the Pike and Halibut were two of the most vicious medieval weapons you could be attacked with, with razor sharp fins, when swung right ... em I'll get me coat :? :wink: :lol:
Attachments
2008..jpg
2008...jpg
2008.jpg

bonnacon

Post by bonnacon »

Pikes were apparently so expensive that they were popularly supplied on higher perches....indeed whole consignments of the weapons changed hands on the roll of a dace.....they were difficult to maneouvre and had to be gripped in just the right plaice.........lessons in their use were given at the Knights' Shoal.......

sorry........ :P
Vivimus vivamus!