Berkeley Skirmish 2009 Photos

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Myk G

Berkeley Skirmish 2009 Photos

Post by Myk G »

Here are a few photos from day two of the Berkeley Skirmish.....

There are more on my Flickr Photostream.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mykg/sets/ ... 698906944/

Despite the poor weather and low crowd numbers, this was still a fantastic event. Well done to everyone who took part.

TancredVonUberwald

Post by TancredVonUberwald »

Some great photos of what looks like a splendid event. I just wish owning a nag wasn't an excuse for woollen maile. /pet-hate

Dave Brown

Post by Dave Brown »

Great Pictures with the dramatic sky behind the archers.
really enjoyed it.

DJ
Tents still drying in the back garden.
long live the longbow

jellie-kat

Post by jellie-kat »

TancredVonUberwald wrote:Some great photos of what looks like a splendid event. I just wish owning a nag wasn't an excuse for woollen maile. /pet-hate
Dir Sir,
I do believe you have never had the job of falling off a horse for a living!! These Jousting shows are extremely dangerous and are there to entertain the public NOT to be authentically accurate.
I would think that if you had to fall off a horse to earn your living that you would prefer a soft landing of knitted maille than a excruciating landing of full chain maille.

Sorry if it seems a bit ranty just thought i'd let you see the other side of it!

Regards
Jellie
x x x

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

8) 8)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

8) 8)

Myk G

Post by Myk G »

Thank you Gentlemen....

Despite the weather it was still a great show for us, the paying customer....and I'll be adding some more photos to my Flickr set later this evening.

There are also photos from the Tewkesbury weekend on my Flickr photostream....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mykg/sets/ ... 223133083/

I'll add my Flickr Berkeley Skirmish 2009 photoset link here again so that you know the new ones have been added.

Regards

Myk (aka MG/BS4 on Flickr)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

8) 8)

Trading-Dragon

Post by Trading-Dragon »

Dir Sir,
I do believe you have never had the job of falling off a horse for a living!! These Jousting shows are extremely dangerous and are there to entertain the public NOT to be authentically accurate.
I would think that if you had to fall off a horse to earn your living that you would prefer a soft landing of knitted maille than a excruciating landing of full chain maille.

Sorry if it seems a bit ranty just thought i'd let you see the other side of it!

Regards
Jellie
x x x
[/quote]

Before I kick off another rant i first must admit that I do not have much riding experience and never had to fall off a horse for a living, though I have fallen off horses all the same (painful experience).

Anyhow, here goes:
Why not just wear a nice padded undergarment under your chain maille? That would not only be fairly historical but also very good added protection. And you can't tell me that a flimsy knitted jumper with silver spray paint offers any sort of protection to a hefty fall from a horse whatsoever.

And pre-preemptively I'll also mention that other famed argument against chainmaille on horses: the weight.
That is actually a problem. Or rather, it used to be. Old butted maille could easily add another 15 or 20 kg to your overall weight, which can break your horses back or yours, if you slam yourself into the ground. Can't recommend it.

But perhaps i can suggest an alternative:

Riveted aluminum maille might work, the kind which has been blackened or chemically treated to look dull and weathered, much like mild steel would. These things are so light that you can pick them up with your little finger, they are readily available nearly everywhere and cost much less than your proper re-enactment grade maille.
Of course, it's still not the proper thing but I would personally find it acceptable as a compromise between historic looks and safety.

Next in line would be welded stainless maille which is also available in a blackened version. A bit heavier and fairly expensive yet still looking like proper maille, from a distance. Depending where you buy from a decent weave can be had that does not look entirely like butcher's maille or a shark suit.

Last in line is PVC maille, such as has been used for the LOTR films. the dark stuff looks fairly okay. The only problem is that it tends to lose rings something chronic....

I find there is usually a way to marry historical accuracy and safety/practicality but sometimes people may not be aware of what is available.
Books are like imprisoned souls until someone takes them down from a shelf and frees them...

Myk G

Post by Myk G »

More photos have now been added....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mykg/sets/ ... 698906944/

I'll add the last bunch sometime tomorrow.

david smith

Post by david smith »

Nice photos, Myk. Bring your camera to Bodelwyddan, I'll buy you a pint of Laurie's finest.

Best wishes
David