Video!

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Alexander of Beeford

Video!

Post by Alexander of Beeford »

Hey all!
I'm not new to the world of re-enacting, but I am completely self trained, and have only ever been against one well trained opponent. Since then, I've started teaching myself some longsword techniques. I've now began to pass them onto my home grown group, so I can try them out on someone. So we picked up a couple of wasters, and here's the result:

http://www.box.net/shared/a9eyqsksmb

There is a Youtube version, but the quality is aweful. 'fraid that, if you're interested, you'll have to download :lol: 'tis only 7mb

Any ideas for improvement? It's still early days, so I'm yet to begin grappling and throws, but how about posture? Stance? how were we in that?

Oh, and for those of you who care, I'm the one in black :D
I'll bite yer legs off!

TancredVonUberwald

Post by TancredVonUberwald »

Don't know how far you are from leeds but:

http://www.swordfighting-kdf.org/

At which I'm a total n00b, but finding very useful.

Failing that grab yourself some fencing masks. All those shots to the legs should result in stabs to the face.

Alexander of Beeford

Thanks Tancred
Unfortunately, I've only got the one fencing mask, I used to be a sports fencer, but none of my group have. We do, however, have a Maxamilian armet lying around somewhere, so I'll give it to someone next time. Not too sure how well my wasters will stand up to a helm though, I made the blades rather thin.

I'm actually not too far from Leeds, about 2- 2 and a half hours. I'll get in contact with them and see if I can maybe join up with them. Never knew the armouries taught more than the basic 'this is armour' stuff!
I'll bite yer legs off!

john mackay

Post by john mackay »

HI

I have been teaching longsword for 6 yrs now up here in scotland. i have watched your video a few times now and i must say you have done good for teaching your self! but there is a lot you can do to improve on this.

if you like we can talk on this over the phone or somthing ?

cheers
john

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

Absolute number one is to get fencing masks- all the stuff you threw at legs should go to the head or torso but you dropping them far too low in order to be safe. You can also play in proper measure too.

It'd also stop me wincing as I have seen the effects of a longsword going through someone's skull and it ain't pretty.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Alexander of Beeford

john mackay wrote:HI

I have been teaching longsword for 6 yrs now up here in scotland. i have watched your video a few times now and i must say you have done good for teaching your self! but there is a lot you can do to improve on this.

if you like we can talk on this over the phone or somthing ?

cheers
john
Thanks! I'd love to. Let me know when's best for you and we can talk :D
Phil the Grips wrote:Absolute number one is to get fencing masks- all the stuff you threw at legs should go to the head or torso but you dropping them far too low in order to be safe. You can also play in proper measure too.

It'd also stop me wincing as I have seen the effects of a longsword going through someone's skull and it ain't pretty.
OUCH! :shock: Luckily, the maxamillian armet has small enough oculars to stop those wasters getting through, so I'll just drag out my fencing mask and that, and we should be ok. Thanks for the warning though :)
I'll bite yer legs off!

Frances Perry

Post by Frances Perry »

Also consider Schola Gladiatoria, who have a chapter in Bradford (Saltaire area) - www.swordfightbradford.com.

We teach 15th century longsword, but are currently briefly looking onto poleaxe according to Jeu de la Hache Burgundian manuscript for tournament fighting.

You and your group may also be interested in Fight Camp 2009. You will need to speak to someone called Matt Easton, as there are only a very few spaces left to attend, and you need to register, but it is worth going along to meet lots and lots of like-minded people.
http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

paul bennett

Post by paul bennett »

There is also some instruction available courtesy of Neil at Skidby Windmill near Beverly. Primarily unarmed and dagger, but if you prod him he might do some longsword :-).
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Alexander of Beeford

Thanks for the reply Frances
I think Bradford may be a little far for me to travel for the moment, as I'm unable to drive, as would Coventry for Fight Camp. I'll see what I can do though, thanks for the heads up.
I'll bite yer legs off!

Alexander of Beeford

paul bennett wrote:There is also some instruction available courtesy of Neil at Skidby Windmill near Beverly. Primarily unarmed and dagger, but if you prod him he might do some longsword :-).
Ooh, interesting. Does he have a website or email address?
I'll bite yer legs off!

paul bennett

Post by paul bennett »

I have pointed him at this thread, but he is contactable at

scholavii@hotmail.com
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Alexander of Beeford

Great thanks! I'll send him an email later tonight.
I'll bite yer legs off!

The Guardsman

Post by The Guardsman »

Alexander of Beeford wrote:
paul bennett wrote:There is also some instruction available courtesy of Neil at Skidby Windmill near Beverly. Primarily unarmed and dagger, but if you prod him he might do some longsword :-).
Ooh, interesting. Does he have a website or email address?
http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/events/Default.aspx

You can book into one of my workshops at this website. Scroll down when the page loads as it is sometimes blank and the info goes at the bottom for some reason.

Just pop in skidby and august in the relevant boxes and my workshop will come up.

If these dates are no good for you, I may be persuaded to either visit you as a group or you can come to me at another date exclusive to your group. If you want to make it a long term commitment I'll teach for free as long as the venue cost is covered.

Alexander of Beeford

Thanks for contacting me, will give you a call on the number you provided over email. :)
I'll bite yer legs off!