13thC Harness for a recreated 13thC Joust.

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:12 am

I agree with Rod about kit critiques. Rod posted his kit with no pretensions about it being perfect, he laid out what he was changing, and as far as things like spurs go, thats an animal welfare issue rather than an authenticity one.

I for one love seeing other peoples kit, and like posting mine for critiques. If people end up being uncivil as they are being in this thread I doubt I'll come back here for such appraisals.

Zac

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Rod Walker

Postby Rod Walker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:21 am

Please to be noting the modern bridle, French Snaffle bit, anti-gall girth and the sports boots on her front legs.

All very modern and on there for her comfort. Yep, she's a mare.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:30 am

You mean you aren't using a stallion trained specifically for battle by filling its stable with bloody carcasses? What kind of a farce is this?

:lol:

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Hello,

As a complete ignorant on jousting, can you explain what jousting in this period would be like? I can imagine that without the plate and the tilt line it would be an order of magnitude more dangerous than normal jousting. What exactly is involved?

Ben

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:10 pm

You want patterns for Napoleonic kit Rod- is this still an issue?

I missed that thread, but if you know what you are after I can point you in the right direction.

There will be some 15th KLD stuff up for sale soon, and 16th QLD stuff being ordered if you want to add anything to it.

Give me a shout anyway.

Cheers,
Andy

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Joram van Essen

Postby Joram van Essen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:41 am

For what it is worth I will post my kit I will be using in the joust against Rod.

As a complete ignorant on jousting, can you explain what jousting in this period would be like? I can imagine that without the plate and the tilt line it would be an order of magnitude more dangerous than normal jousting. What exactly is involved?

Jousting at large (without a tilt barrier) tends to be more difficult as you need to ensure the horses pass close enough to each other to be able to hit your opponent, but not close enough to crash into each other.
Last edited by Joram van Essen on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

narvek

Postby narvek » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:31 am

Very nice Joram, especially that you wear skullcap under your great helm:)

maybe just some more posh belt and scabbard to go with the rest of the kit 8)

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Rod Walker

Postby Rod Walker » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 am

Just posted a video of some training and testing we did this weekend with solid pine lances with aluminium coronels and some pine tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqbdbNE0XWs

We ran these passes in the tilt as we wanted to keep the testing controlled.

My steel coronel is back with Alex being copied (Alex made the original) so I used the aluminium coronels. These were not overly succesfull as there is too much meat in the socket and the tip of the lance needs to be filed down too much to fit. This weakens the tip and most, (when they broke) broke just behind the socket.

The timber used is a Structural Grade Pine that I purchased as 35mmx90mmx3000. Through the table saw down to 32x32 and then through the router bench to round them.

Those that broke did break blunt.

With steel coronels these would be very usable. They hit hard, do not break every time but did break well and could be used for jousts with people that are all suitably armoured and trust each other.

The tips were the same pine processed the same way but cut to 1 metre lengths. 300mm back from the tip a 12mm hole was drilled through and another 300 mm below that. No coronels on these tips.

Inserted into the ferrule just like a balsa tip.

These hit very hard, didn't break every time but when they did break it was a hard hit and they broke at the hole and of course broke blunt.

I can see the pine tips being very usable in a competetive joust, again with jousters that are fully armoured. They take a big hit to break, hit hard 99% of the time, break blunt and there is no chance of a ferrule strike as there is 400mm of pine tip in the ferrule that will not break.

You could of course use coronels on these.

I do need to make another heater shield though. One of the hits almost punched through :lol: My shield is 15mm thick and covered in 8 layers of glue and material.

I think I will make something around the 20mm thick mark.

Some more video of my open field practice against my shock quintain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkjFVdsVxVI

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Joram, what's the white lion on top of your helm made of and is it hand made?

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 pm

I thought it was a small dog.....

Bored now....

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Jenn R wrote:I thought it was a small dog.....

He has one of those too, in his handbag:-

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 am

....you can't go wrong with a Bichon Frise in a pink handbag....daywear... (k)nightwear.....

Bored now....

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

You are falling into just the trap the designer wanted you to there...
In truth the head of the dog is stuffed to allow for more room in the handbag, so whilst looking like a sweet and fluffy modern girly, you never have to feed or clean up after your "pet". Those glass eyes are really good nowadays aren't they.
The body of the dog is not wasted, it is stuffed and varnished and used for one of those equally attractive garden ornaments, where the neck is cleverly set into the lawn to make it look like it is disappearing down a hole.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Doh! Now you explain it...its so obvious! :lol:

Are those semi submerged crocodile garden ornaments the same? The belly of the croc being used to make handbags?

Bored now....

Rod Walker

Postby Rod Walker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Coronels are ready to pick up.

Lady Roos

Postby Lady Roos » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Rod / Joram,
Hope everything will go well, you've put in a lot of effort and time.
Absolutely marvellous reading about your tip testing; is the pine kiln dried or green?
An ex 14th Century jouster, who helped when we were starting out, advocated the use of standard broom handles, cut to size, and drilled strategically and fitted to the ferule. At the time we politely declined, but may be tempted to revisit this for training purposes. But knowing my luck, will end up with a broken wrist :?
Joram, hope to see you at Archeon again at some time.
Anyhow, look forward to seeing you in action.

Regards,
Martyn Smith (who's using the wife's account because can't remember his password right now :oops: )

Geen woorden maar daden

Rod Walker

Postby Rod Walker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:31 am

Thanks Martyn, I'll keep posting updates here for those interested.

Our whole event, 'The St. Georges Day Jousts' is being filmed by a documentary crew and our 13thC joust is one part of this.

Got my new helm painted and the right muffler into my hauberk.

This is my old helm. I used it last weekend at a media shoot. The lance in my hand is the same as we will be using.

The new helm and muffler.

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:49 am

Goddammit! you beat me on the muffler.. mines done, but only half fastened on and needs a fitting or 2 to confirm sleeve length... Close tho..

Isn't it sad losing a race with someone who didn't even know you were were racing against them :)

Rod Walker

Postby Rod Walker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:35 am

Hey, post a pic.

Always good to see how others have done them. :D

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Luckily Rod has a face made for full helms.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 pm

Rod Walker wrote:Hey, post a pic.

Always good to see how others have done them. :D

There ya go.. (Couldn't figure out how to add a pic rather than a link)

http://vmphoto.photobox.co.uk/album/105712899

Its a bit stiff for what you see in the manuscripts - but I couldn't figure out how to get it 'floppy' with the protection I needed.

Return to “Pictures”