Skinner's Horse

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Celebrinthil

Skinner's Horse

Postby Celebrinthil » Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Officers and ladies of Skinner's Horse at Audley End, May 2008.

Monsoon season.... :-(
Attachments
Audley.jpg

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 28, 2008 1:07 am

Very nice.

What's the fabric, cos it looks a shade out to me (though obv could be the picture / monitor playing tricks)

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 am

Is the gentleman at the centre portraying an actual/specific Officer of the period? I ask as he seems to be wearing the VC - wearing campaign medals relevant to the period is usually ok, but wearing the Empires highest award for bravery if you're not portraying someone who did earn it seems a bit iffy... :?

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Wed May 28, 2008 8:41 am

Hi Tuppence

It's Princess of Wales Gold doeskin. The period is early 1880's - at the time the kurta was a mustard yellow. A more "yellow" cloth (seen on Col Gray's kurta in the NAM) became the norm later, certainly after 1896 when the regiment converted to Bengal Lancers. (reference photograph of British and Indian officers taken at Peshawar in 1886).

Hi Lord Byron - none of us represent historical officers of Skinner's. The medals worn are appropriate to the age of the wearer (Alex is 72) and generally add flavour to the portrayals when we're not galloping about. This gig was done alongside Queen Victoria, so we thought it nice to include the vaunted honour as an opportunity to talk about it's instigation and what it represents. Not sure I'd agree that it's iffy! We're only playing....

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed May 28, 2008 8:52 am

Celebrinthil wrote:Hi Tuppence

It's Princess of Wales Gold doeskin. The period is early 1880's - at the time the kurta was a mustard yellow. A more "yellow" cloth (seen on Col Gray's kurta in the NAM) became the norm later, certainly after 1896 when the regiment converted to Bengal Lancers. (reference photograph of British and Indian officers taken at Peshawar in 1886).

I know the fabric we ahve quite a bit of it it looks totally differnat in light so to speak

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Wed May 28, 2008 9:06 am

Indeed! Is yours done in PoW gold? Is your uniform the same period?

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed May 28, 2008 9:10 am

its deffinatley POW mess kit fabric as Hainsworths were very reluctant to sell it to us probabaly going to get debs to cut it as mess kit now

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 am

cool, the mess kit is gorgeous - mine's in production at the moment. Soooooo much gold gimp. I'm sure you've got all the info you need but shout if I can help.

Will we see it at Kelmarsh?

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed May 28, 2008 10:01 am

Celebrinthil wrote:cool, the mess kit is gorgeous - mine's in production at the moment. Soooooo much gold gimp. I'm sure you've got all the info you need but shout if I can help.

Will we see it at Kelmarsh?

Info we ahve

Well it depends on a few things like how busy Debs is :D

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 am

Very nice Mike, very nice indeed. :D

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Wed May 28, 2008 12:41 pm

Glad you like Andy! We're not wearing cartridge boxes in that shot - they've come out beautifully - bullion embroidered cypher and battle honours and black velvet. Mmmmmm....nice

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 pm

You great big tart :D

Have you shown Mr Stroud?

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Wed May 28, 2008 5:52 pm

we saw you at Audley End on monday - impressed by you still doing the gymkhana despite the weather.

Celebrinthil

Postby Celebrinthil » Wed May 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks Jenn - it is tough for everyone in that kind of weather, but when horses are involved it takes on a different dimension. Everyone home for a chota-peg safe and sound though, if a little soggy...

Return to “Pictures”