Here we go...

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Zachos

Here we go...

Post by Zachos »

Well you shouldn't deal it out if you can't take it, so please find attached pictures of myself in my soft kit, and rip me apart.

I know a lot of whats wrong with it, but I want to see if you guys pick up on the same stuff I have.

Era is late 14th/early 15th. Reasonably well off archer type, not nobility (yet :D )

Go on, do your worst.

Zac
Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

El Frog

Post by El Frog »

Well, the lack of a bow is the most obvious one... ;)
AAAAAAIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!! The giant squid - she no longer respond to mind control!!!

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Ok, top picture- you have what looks like a reasonable 2nd half 15th century doublet with single leg hose that almost go up the side to your belt. THis is not really correct, with a doublet that short you are looking more for joined hose, albeit quite far down your hips, and they should point onto your doublet. The hose are quite loose as well.

The belt buckle looks a bit modern, although I could be wrong. There should be a strap end on the belt. The decoration might not be from an actual example, but at least it is actually carved in some way, we need more carved or stamped leather belts, and I myself do not have such an item.

Your hood, well we could argue about whether a mans hood should button up the front or not, but at least they look like cloth buttons.

2nd picture-
I'm not convinced about wearing a dagged hood with a tunic. On the other hand the tunic looks ok to me, and it has some patterned cloth, which is ok by me, although I wonder about the lining. Not saying its wrong, just want your reasons for it. On the other hand, it is definitely not right for late 14th century, I'd say first half 14th century.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Re: Here we go...

Post by Lord Byron »

Zachos wrote:Well you shouldn't deal it out if you can't take it, so please find attached pictures of myself in my soft kit, and rip me apart.
:twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0EFniA60Oo

(the only video I could find with the music I was thinking of!).

House of De Clifford

Post by House of De Clifford »

now thats funny !
Your kit looks good to me zachos,
belt end was my first thing, definatly needs a fitting, go and see debs and jason at ilhf, they will sort that out for you.

Dave.
House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

guthrie wrote:Ok, top picture- you have what looks like a reasonable 2nd half 15th century doublet with single leg hose that almost go up the side to your belt. THis is not really correct, with a doublet that short you are looking more for joined hose, albeit quite far down your hips, and they should point onto your doublet. The hose are quite loose as well.
The hose do point to the front, but they're pointed to the belt so sometimes slip to the sides. Apart from that, dead on the money. I'm getting new doublet and hose soonish, higher hose, but still split (they're just so comfortable).
The belt buckle looks a bit modern, although I could be wrong. There should be a strap end on the belt. The decoration might not be from an actual example, but at least it is actually carved in some way, we need more carved or stamped leather belts, and I myself do not have such an item.
Ok, that isn't something I'd picked up on. Thankfully the belt is long enough to cut off the buckle and add a new one. Thats on the list for the markets.
Your hood, well we could argue about whether a mans hood should button up the front or not, but at least they look like cloth buttons.
They are cloth buttons but I wasn't aware of mens hoods all being closed. Anyone got a word on that?
2nd picture-
I'm not convinced about wearing a dagged hood with a tunic. On the other hand the tunic looks ok to me, and it has some patterned cloth, which is ok by me, although I wonder about the lining. Not saying its wrong, just want your reasons for it. On the other hand, it is definitely not right for late 14th century, I'd say first half 14th century.
Lining is a bit cheeky in that its only round the edges. That was my first piece of kit, other than a shirt, so its probably the least researched, although it is the most comfortable and I love it to bits. If anyone else has a word on whether its usable for late 14th Century I'd love to hear it, otherwise I'll have to go for another period as well, because I wouldn't want to get rid of it.

cheers.

*slaps byron*

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

House of De Clifford wrote:now thats funny !
Your kit looks good to me zachos,
belt end was my first thing, definatly needs a fitting, go and see debs and jason at ilhf, they will sort that out for you.

Dave.
Cheers! What name do they trade under?

Zac

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Yes adding to Guthrie, the open hose (not 'single leg hose'*) you are wearing are more 14thc. Even 15thc open hose generally look like closed hose, ie meeting at the back and most of the front, there are variantrs of course.

And he is right, you have mixed eras - 15thc doublet post 1450 and pre 1400 hose, the lower the hose line, the longer the doublet and vice versa s you go through the 15thc onwards.

The hood is incongruous, it is more 14thc adn there was a seeming revival in teh early 16th for dagged hoods.

The spoon is not medieval and should not be hanging from your belt either - not sure who sold you it, but you should get a refund IMHO.

Ditto the crucifix

Belt adornments other than studs, purses and knives are in the main a reenactorism.

I really, really like the fabric, not that I know it is right or not in the detail, but what is ace is that you are wearing a woven pattern on your outer garment (cote hardie?), rarely seen in reenactment, but dug up often enough.

What is really in yoru favour is your figure.

You are naturally slim and would look excellent in well fitted mid to late 15thc kit, you could carry off the 'typical' look so often seen in manuscripts and paintings.

* equiv of 'chain mail'
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Eric the well read

Post by Eric the well read »

And.... you're too tall! :wink:

Regards
Eric

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Ah, even better, we could tog him out like one of the 'alien' Flemish people, a la Dierc Bouts.

Nice one Eric.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Zachos wrote:Lining is a bit cheeky in that its only round the edges. That was my first piece of kit, other than a shirt, so its probably the least researched, although it is the most comfortable and I love it to bits. If anyone else has a word on whether its usable for late 14th Century I'd love to hear it, otherwise I'll have to go for another period as well, because I wouldn't want to get rid of it.

cheers.
Look up the Luttrell psalter on this forum, it has plenty of English pictures of frist half of the 14th century people, showing them wearing tunics etc like yours, although I do not recall many with turned back sleeves, that is more 13th century or Macjieowski bible IIRC.
So you can wear the tunic, as long as you do early 14th, not late 14th.

The spoon looks like a horn spoon to me, which would be ok, although I do not know what shape they were at that time. Also hanging it from your belt like that is just wrong.
When I started doing WotR, hanging stuff from your belt was dying out as people realised it wasn't right, although there are still quite a few women doing the chatelaine thing with keys and needle cases etc.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Your pose is a bit knitwear catalogue.

is that the sort of critisism you're after?
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

ditto all of the above plus extra kudos for head gear in the first picture!
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Eric the well read

Post by Eric the well read »

Dave B wrote:Your pose is a bit knitwear catalogue.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
New keyboard here please!
you could go up in status and re-enact Sir dar
or you could wear patons?
Regards
Eric :wink:

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

Cheers everyone, I'll work on the stuff.

Belt spoon is Horn and Silver, but yes, I've never seen them hanging from the belt. I won't take it back thoug, I'll just not walk around with it on my belt.

Maybe the "medieval posers" calender should be next on the list of charity things to do. The problem would be cutting the amount of posers down to just 12...

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

Finally!

Have waited all day to see those pics - school blocked them! :lol: :lol:
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

The spoon seems to be a later shape, not the materials in question, but it is an off the shelf 'one spoon fits all periods' and yet not the medieval one.

Robin wood might be able to advise on spoons and spoon shapes, we know of the pewter ones, but the wooden sort are a bit different.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Wow. and he goes for the spoon. 50 extra nerd-o-rama points for your eye for detail sir

Kurt's uncle Bob.

WorkMonkey

Post by WorkMonkey »

I see Dave B is on fine form with the witticisms today :lol:
WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Ha, was merely adding to Zacho's comment re the spoon.

Ha!

but nerd points gratefully received.

I have plans to make a Geek o meter by the way, have had for about three yeas, when i get the time......you might liek one.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

WorkMonkey wrote:I see Dave B is on fine form with the witticisms today :lol:
There seems little point trying to be witty now. No one is going to rival the master.
On another thread, the shy retiring Medicus Matt wrote:I'm already a shy and retiring type who has difficulty in expressing myself on a public forum like this...comments like that undermine my already precarious self-confidence.
In fact, although I didn't actualy ROFL, and I certainly didn't PMSL, I did actualy, genuinely LOL a little bit, which doesn't often happen just from reading what a load of self opinionated re-enactors have to say. Except sometimes when they are being serious.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Dave B wrote:
There seems little point trying to be witty now. No one is going to rival the master.
On another thread, the shy retiring Medicus Matt wrote:I'm already a shy and retiring type who has difficulty in expressing myself on a public forum like this...comments like that undermine my already precarious self-confidence.
What? S'true!

Only comment on the kit is that Zachos appears to be too thin and unravaged to be a re-enactor.
"I never said that I was here to help."

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Medicus Matt wrote: Only comment on the kit is that Zachos appears to be too thin and unravaged to be a re-enactor.
I'm sure people will do something about that...

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

Medicus Matt wrote: Only comment on the kit is that Zachos appears to be too thin and unravaged to be a re-enactor.
I'm pretty sure I must be a norman at some point down the line. I'm far too posh and high brow not to be.

Today I actually called my dad "daddy" in public.

*shame*

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"
Only comment on the kit is that Zachos appears to be too thin and unravaged to be a re-enactor."

Cough Jungsturm cough (yes, they do ravage each other though)

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Zachos wrote:
I'm pretty sure I must be a norman at some point down the line. I'm far too posh and high brow not to be.

Today I actually called my dad "daddy" in public.

*shame*
Norman? Posh? Since when have exiled Scando-Tramps been posh?

And gentlemen don't call their father, "daddy", they call him "father". :roll:

Posh my *rse.
"I never said that I was here to help."

The Methley Archer

Post by The Methley Archer »

Too young, Too thin :D

I am now depressed :(
Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

15 or 20 years of hard drinking round a campfire, a couple of re-enactment accidents and a couple of kids and he'll look as rough as the rest of us.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

the mail fence in the background of the first pic does not look like European 4into1 mesh, is it a Japanese weave by any chance? Apart from that, great.
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Brendan C

Post by Brendan C »

Medicus Matt wrote:Since when have exiled Scando-Tramps been posh?
Since they ruled the country? :D

Brendan C