We are sexy, we are the 18th century!

Moderator: Moderators

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:32 pm

But credit where credit's due, Asda's take away curries are the best of their ilk.

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:38 pm

I appear to have 'touched a nerve' with my slightly 'supermarket-flavoured' posting. (Saha! Little do the readers know but I am a secret agent for The Co-Op who is silently undermining the strangle-hold the big supermarkets have on our economy...look what I did to Kwik-Save! Budgens is next, you have been warned.). Apologies - I'll stop now. I'm looking forward to Bath...are there any trees for us to sneak through? Is it permissible to wear a pink-ish woolly toque - it got in the wash by mistake when it was red...mixed in with some nice white bits-and-pieces which have now taken on a rosy-tint of blushing pink whilst the hat has gone the colour of cooked Atlantic salmon...at least it gets me noticed in several salubrious night-clubs.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi Andy,

I'm sure your tuque will be fine :D

So long as it's washed out red (pink) and not Barbie (tm) pink.

There are trees, and the trees are on a slope - so make sure you have your hob nails up to date.

As an aside, are you bringing your YHA dog lock, or do you have a more modern gun? Only asking as I can lend you a mid to late c17th dog lock (currenlty with Tod) which is more in keeping with the period if you like?

I have plans for a hide-and-go-sneaky war band which should be a laugh - and hopefully give those blasted Rangers a shock.

Be seeing you,
Andy

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Should have me new Long Land Pattern Bess (from Ron) by then...if he's got it for me this coming weekend at 'Conquest'.

Erm...about that Barbie(TM) pink........

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:31 pm

Andysmith wrote:Should have me new Long Land Pattern Bess (from Ron) by then...if he's got it for me this coming weekend at 'Conquest'.

Erm...about that Barbie(TM) pink........

Woot...!

I take it then that it will be followed by a bayonet as well (all th best sess's are don'cha know :wink:

And I am sure you'll look fine in pink - just don't start singing the Barbie song and we'll get along fine.

Tod is also boycotting my hairy flapjacks (philistine) having developed a taste for eating mud at the weekend.

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:26 pm

Aye...bayonet too. And I shall be fully 'knifed-up" so to speak. I do have a very nice hand-axe but it is sharp - so I don't think I'll be using it in a skirmish!

I have been practising my French too (e.g. "Bonjour mam'selle, tu et tres jolie ne c'est pas? Voulez-vous ...etc...etc..."). And with the Barbie (TM) pink it does mean that I am in touch with my feminine side so I am somwhat empathetic to laydees' wants and needs....just right for a Johnny Crapeaud eh?

I have the terrible suspicion that we may be turning this thread into a 'chat room'.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 pm

I am getting very,very scared.........oh well,means less chance of having to go on the French side to make the numbers up!
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:37 pm

steve stanley wrote:I am getting very,very scared.........oh well,means less chance of having to go on the French side to make the numbers up!
Steve

Have you not seen all the rangers?

Rangers to the left of them, rangers to the right of them, rangers in front of them.

When you are out-numbered at an event the red coats haven't turned up to......

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Andysmith wrote:Aye...bayonet too. And I shall be fully 'knifed-up" so to speak. I do have a very nice hand-axe but it is sharp - so I don't think I'll be using it in a skirmish!

Don't worry, all ours are sharp as well.

there is preciouse little, if any, hand to hand.

The Canadian's also worked on the principle of "he who turns and runs away, lives to fight another day".

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:42 pm

Quote from a chap in the US who does Milice.."Don't shoot the green ones...They're not ripe yet!".....sigh...Massachusetts dragging out the dodgy accents & onion strings again.................
Steve

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:49 pm

So you'll be changing your sig to "Soyez très, les Anglais très tranquilles de chasse" :D

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:53 pm

Doesn't have quite the same quintessential Elmer Fuddishness..........
Steve

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 pm

Tod is also boycotting my hairy flapjacks (philistine) having developed a taste for eating mud at the weekend.[/quote]

Archers only eat what they can shoot in my case barn doors that don't move. :twisted:

As for the doglock I swaped it for a plate of stovies. I thought you'd understand.

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:14 am

I used to dream of hairy flapjacks...until the major surgery sorted me out.
Artisan Tod...is my new scabbard nearing completion yet? I have to 'cut-a-dash' as a Wild Goose donch'a know!

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:25 am

Wild duck more like :D

I actually have a red faced green justaucorps in pieces at home......

PS
Don't forget, the side arm of the Wild Geese in the 1st half of the c18th was the Epee de Soldat
Availible for £50 from McFathingbowl's at the ORM
http://www.re-enactmentshop.com/18e-Epee.JPG
http://www.re-enactmentshop.com/p_18th_century.htm

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 pm

I might have it done by then, BUT I need to know the blade thickness.

If you hear a tall helmeted fool shout your name, it'll be Andy R, he can be recognised by his nose (so he says). foolish boy...............
It makes you wonder why he's allowed to have sharp stuff.

Off to Scotland Friday for more meally pudding yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa

By the way Mickey the Inch had a burst pipe and his house is totalled (I'm not joking :( ) so if you're trying get in touch with him let me know as he (obviously) isn't living in there.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:09 pm

I might have it done by then, BUT I need to know the blade thickness.

If you hear a tall helmeted fool shout your name, it'll be Andy R, he can be recognised by his nose (so he says). foolish boy...............

Off to Scotland Friday for more meally pudding yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa

By the way Mickey the Inch had a burst pipe and his house is totalled (I'm not joking :( ) so if you're trying get in touch with him let me know as he (obviously) isn't living in there.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:10 pm

Tod wrote:If you hear a tall helmeted fool shout your name, it'll be Andy R, he can be recognised by his nose (so he says). foolish boy...............

In my (or is it their) defence, it was blunt.

Of course they could have made me put a cork on it, or just have it made entirely out of sponge (but not sponge cake - that would have been just too tempting)

Any truth the Mike has moved in to a doll's house?

Joking aside, pass on my best to him. Having had the pipes burst in the old house, I know it's not a nice thing to happen

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:22 pm

Ah poor wee Mikey the sound of the pipes no longer cheers his heart!!

I got an email from him on Monday telling me about it it.... sounds worse than a dolls house though Andy...... he's moved in with the in-laws!!!!

All this after sharing the "tent of terror" with the Mealy Pudding Monster at Urquhart....what a year of accommodation malfunctions for the wee man!!!
Sorry to be missing Birdoswald

Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Return to “1715-1810”