We are sexy, we are the 18th century!

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

We are sexy, we are the 18th century!

Postby Tod » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:08 pm

Are you fed up with have to wear clothes that have no sex appeal? Yes!
Are you sick of eating mud? Yes!
Do you like being a plague carrier? No?
Is metal armour really a good idea? No?
Do you want to re-enact a life where you can be enlightened? Yes please!
Do you want to re-create an era of invention? Yes please!
Would you like to wear shoes that aren't pointy and odd? Wow really!

Think about the above, now think about re-enacting the 18th century. Frock coats, tricorns etc our kit is the biz! We also re-enact Scottish Highlanders (you don't have to be a Scot either!), full authentic Highland kit, we are NOT the Braveheart brigade.
So get typing those keys and ask about joining Rose and Thistle part of Lace Wars
www.18thcentury.org

PS To all you medieval people out there, this is posted with no malice what so ever, just good old fashioned British humour :lol:
Last edited by Tod on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:29 pm

Always rather fancied some of the 18th century outfits, they did put some truly awful stuff on their hair though! I had to make some accurate 18thc hair powder for something a while back and by the time I'd finished sieving the powdered bones and the starch and the perfumes, I was quite overcome. And that was before I got to the pomade part of it all....

WhiteWolf

Postby WhiteWolf » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:56 pm

Stop going on and come and eat the mud pie I've saved you. :wink: :D

WW 8)

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:15 am

Aha,

So RaT is Rose and Thistle.

I thought Steve of RaT was a reference to the late 70's rock group 'RaTT'

I feel enlightened already.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:02 pm

By the way we don't eat rats we are RaT (which has got to be the best abbrieviation ever).

Oh and it was well known by the 18th century that mud wasn't good for you and claret was.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:57 pm

If you want to know more about us we'll be at the National Living History Fayre from 28 - 30 October at Warwickshire Exhibition Centre near Lemmington Spa (just off the Fosse Way).
Find us on the Foxblade Trading stand.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:58 pm

And I meant to do just that - but it was all too busy.

I am interested however, I feel that after 10 years of medieval it's time to do a but of something else on the side and am thinking aobut what. Are there any good books (general history and with noce piccies) you can reccomend to get a feel for the period?

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Wina McPod

Postby Wina McPod » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:50 pm

Well we saw you.....Tod is off line at the moment but I will make sure he gets the message - he is the best one to ask. In the meantime check out the website - we look forward to having you come play.
www.18thcentury.org

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:29 pm

I'm having to post from work at the moment due to my broad band software killing my PC. I will PM you with my number.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:46 pm

I think SCUM is a better acronym myself.....

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:15 pm

guthrie wrote:I think SCUM is a better acronym myself.....

Hey, that's the lot I started with, or for the occasionally full name, SCUMBAGS.

However, Guthrie, I have to say I like your CODDS..!

:wink:

The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

Fluffster

Postby Fluffster » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:18 pm

I had a fight with the scum boys at seven oaks a while back and one of `em came at me with a buckler that had the word "Volvo" across it. I laughed so much a swear a bit of wee came out :lol:

Ego sum flagellum dei!

tailordrews

newby Denmark call

Postby tailordrews » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:41 pm

:lol:
Hello all,
I just joined this forum, i am pleased to find you. I am a guy just turned 50 and i love 18th century clothing. For many years, since i graduated from The danish Design School in 1976 i have ben studying and learning how to make 18th century clothes. I love to embroider by hand on my costumes, and i try my best to make them as authentic as possible. I make both male and female costumes. I have made some reproduktion costumes from portraits for some danish Manor House Museums, and i have ben demonstrating embroidery at a 1700 fair here in Denmark. It is rather lonely with such an exceptional hobby, and hard to find friends with same interrests. I have joined a swedish society called "Gustafs Skål" wich is the nearest i can get. But even that is hard, as there is a 5 hour long train journey to make before i can join them and expensive two. That is why i only visits them from time to time.
So far i have not ben able to find other danes, who makes nobility costumes, only peassants, and i miss some companions.
So i am glad i found you.
Right now i am finishing a sack backed dress with silk chenille embroidery, and i have plans to start a new embroidered suit for myself when i have finished this dress. I baught the nicest pale lilac, ribbed silk for jacket and breeches, and a grey waistcoat. It is going to be embroidered with old roses and silver spangels.
If you would like to se what i make, i have a webpage with my costumes at: www.my-drewscostumes.dk

Many greetings to you all!

Tailordrews aca Bjarne

The world is in need of beauty! Embroider!

On the eight day, god created costumes and reenactors!

Heloise

Postby Heloise » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:11 pm

I must say that although i know next to nothing about 18th century costume, being somewhat earlier, your embroidery is deeply lovely, tailordrews. I am most envious :) Costumes like those could tempt any medieval clothes tart (that'll be everyone then) to this century...
PS you are very welcome to the forum, but don't take everything that is said seriously! (except the praise of your embroidery, of course) :)

tailordrews

phraises of my embroidery

Postby tailordrews » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:15 pm

:D
Dear Heloise, ah the name reminds me of a novel written by Isak Dinesen also known as Karen Blixen. She wrote a novel called Heloise.
Back to topics, thanks a lot for your lovely words, winkie winkie! It always pleases to me that people like what i do. I guess it always shows when you use all your heart in things you do. I am very gratefull to live in the modern rich western world, so that i can afford this expensive hobby.
I have noticed the humour in some of the forums, but i just love that tone of voice. I am most happy that i found you all, and i am sure that i will spend a lot of great fun times here!
Take care!

Tailordrews
Bjarne

The world is in need of beauty! Embroider!

On the eight day, god created costumes and reenactors!

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:01 pm

I spent most of my early 'nactoring in the Dark Ages or War of the Roses and I still do visit several times a year, but now as a regular time traveller (Romano-British up to......b**ger WWII now) I must say that the 18thC has got to be my fav for a number of reasons:-

1.The clothes, they turn most blokes instantly into the hero from any bodice ripper Mills and Boon have ever writ, ladies seem to like that highwayman/pirate/libertine look.

2. The clothes again, because you don't have to tie them together with bits of bloody string, and as a extra bonus, no coddy points to get locked into a huge knot when you are busting for a pee.

3. They had POCKETS and lots of them, no more trying to cram your life in a belt purse.

4. Living history displays can(and should) involve Claret, Port, Tea, Coffee, Chocolate and Tobacco plus 18thC food is flippin gorgeous, heart-attack on a plate but you'd die with a big smile on your face(Hmmmmmmm Beef Royal..Chocolate tort...dribble dribble)

I s'pose you could also point out that it was a pivotal point in British and European..nay world history and that it is sadley ignored in schools.... but hey,who needs a worthy reason when you have the clothes, the food, the women in corsets. =o)

Grymm

P.s Spend an evening watching Dangerous Liasons, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Plunkett and Macleane, Quills etc and tell me that the idea doesn't appeal.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Wina McPod

Postby Wina McPod » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:24 pm

Sir - you are truly enlightened.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:15 pm

Wina we've got to get that riding coat done! Mid calf length leather, and the makers of the Matrix thought they'd come up with a new idea.
Hmmmm only 250 odd years late.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:52 pm

And if you add Rob Roy,Last of The Mohicans & Barry Lyndon to the film list......the possibilities are endless!!
Steve

Lady Jane

Postby Lady Jane » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:39 am

:D OMG Tailordrews, your are one very talented gent. I've never seen such dedication to an embroidered costume as your chenille embroidered gown before ! I have made costumes for the Opera and they buy in ready-embroidered panels from the Asian continent if they need them. Are you formerly from an Opera wardrobe? Or just a very talented enthusiast? Where did you learn to embroidery like that, the Danish Craft Guild that I've read so much about perhaps? 8)

KieranB

Postby KieranB » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:16 pm

Well, I'd been meaning to join RaT for a while now... so well done Tod you've finally convinced me. As I'm a Moncrieffe its just got to be done lol

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:47 pm

Drop me a PM with your details including your number and I'll give you a call and send you all the info.
Join the RaT pack you know it makes sense. :)

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

Postby Henrik Bjoern Boegh » Fri May 25, 2007 10:45 am

Bringing a bit of life to an old thread!

Bjarne,
There is a a woman in Frederikshavn who makes 18th century costumes. She's been involved in the Tordenskjolddagene-events. I've seen some pictures of her work and it looks very nice. Here's her website: http://www.boutiqueregence.dk/

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and True

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Wow Tod...........You convinced me!

Just got all the kit :lol:

Are any adjustments needed? :twisted:

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri May 25, 2007 1:41 pm

You should have been at Detling a few years ago for the "Lace Wars does Adam Ant" experience. It was the whole Prince Charming dance thing. :lol:

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:18 pm

late again. Thats the story of my life!

Too young to be a hippy,
too old for the New Romantics.
:roll:

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri May 25, 2007 6:59 pm

I'll get you a shirt with that on :lol:

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Fri May 25, 2007 7:43 pm

If you start this ad campain again you can link it in with pirates 3: The Desperate Need for More Money

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Gerry

Postby Gerry » Sat May 26, 2007 8:46 pm

Are you fed up with have to wear clothes that have no sex appeal? Yes!

You know red has the biggest sex appeal Tod.
Is metal armour really a good idea? No?

Are shields really a good idea ? Only if you can get close enough ?
Are you sick of eating mud? Yes!

But Tod, Jacobites are the mud eaters of the 18th century, at least thats the view from my side of the field.

[/quote]

Pulteney's Regiment
The Men in Red

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue May 29, 2007 9:06 am

On the way south we bought our food as well as visiting the local gentry and taking all thier nice grub, on the way north we just took what we wanted. Bit of a cock up around Inverness (Tesco's was shut, and some fat bloke in red bought out all the good grub and booze for a birthday bash) ), but other than that we didn't do too badly.
On the other hand you lot got wormy bread and tough old meat.
Oh and by the way I'm going to tell Ed you said her food was mud.

Return to “1715-1810”