We are sexy, we are the 18th century!

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed May 30, 2007 8:35 am

Gerry, I spoke to Ed last night, you are so going to get it :lol:
I'm selling tickets. Women the first and last line of defence.

Gerry

Postby Gerry » Wed May 30, 2007 11:09 am

Oh b****r I'm in trouble. :(

I'll try and defend myself using your own quote Tod.

PS To all you Jacobite people out there, this was posted with no malice what so ever, just good old fashioned British humour :oops:

Pulteney's Regiment
The Men in Red

Wina McPod

Postby Wina McPod » Thu May 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Not good enough...... :twisted:

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Gerry, I'd just like to say Ha!, and Ha! again

Shoot you, I mean see you at Bath I hope.

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:46 pm

One cauldron of very nice stew (cooked by Wina MacPod) delivery to redcoat camp, one very empty cauldron return, spot the very full looking Gerry H and a certain Chris B (I had three lots).

Gerry

Postby Gerry » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:34 pm

To right I ate the stew, I didn't want to risk having my tent pegs kicked out again. Unfortunately I failed to get a photo of Wina infront of the WW1 trench system, next to the sign 'Mud - The Common Enemy'

I will admit it was a good stew, what are you lot having for tea at Belton House ? maybe we can bring you back some German sausage from Minden.

Pulteney's Regiment

The Men in Red

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:36 pm

Gerry wrote:maybe we can bring you back some German sausage from Minden.

Just bring back pictures and a full report.

I'll be very interested to hear what the event was like.

I'd very much like to get over there for 2009.

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Stuff the report, bring back sausages, and if ask Ed she'll cook them for you.
I did hear she was kicking your pegs out :lol:

Even with no sausages you're welcome to join us for dinner, good healthy food, no mud.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:41 pm

By the way Corp. Paul was on about some of RaT doing Redcoat Highlanders (wait for Andy R to comment :? ) and going in 2009.

Andy,
we could hide you in a roof box!

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:00 pm

Tod wrote:By the way Corp. Paul was on about some of RaT doing Redcoat Highlanders (wait for Andy R to comment :? ) and going in 2009.

Andy,
we could hide you in a roof box!

How many years has it taken you to get one pair of hose?

You only have two years before the big one. Are you confident that you could get another pair in that time? :lol:

Highland regiments fighting in Europe compose of the 87th and 88th highlanders with green facing and white gimped button holes.

The 87th served with distinction, most notibly at Warburg and Kloster Kamp (according to 18th Century Highlanders, S Reid)

Highlanders are an easier option as the leather work and uniform is a lot simpler. (hose non withstanding)

If you ever fancy doing something with Pulteney's other coats, then from the 1742 clothing book, the 15th, 26th, 44th, and 45th all enjoyed unlaced coats and yellow facings

Hide in a roof box? I'm far more cunning than that...... :wink:

Mark P.

Postby Mark P. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Not sure if I want to see RaT in highland jackets that have been gimped.

:shock:

MP

Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

Steve of RaT

Postby Steve of RaT » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:17 pm

Tod wrote:By the way Corp. Paul was on about some of RaT doing Redcoat Highlanders

Working on guestimation we should manage at least 3 of us. :D

Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------
These views are not necessarily those of RaT, which usually are accompanied with a sulphurous smell.

Veni, Vidi, Aesculus hippocastanum

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:12 pm

I reckon 4
Ken
Steve
Corp Paul
Me

If we get another pair of hose that'll be one each, we just always stand side on to the public.

I've got Colin Spicers old jacket and waist coat, the cut looks right so we can copy that. Leatherwork and muskets no problem. Matching plaids?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:24 am

Tod wrote:Matching plaids?

Look on the bright side, the government set is usually quite easy to get hold of, and at least you don't have to worry about paying someone to make it up..!

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:56 am

Too right we're sexy (ref. original thread title). Have you seen the latest edition of 'Skirmish' (July 07)? In Tony Pollard's article there I am in the big photo resplendent in all me Jacobite glory, just about to chop a Redcoat down before one skewers me wiv his bayonet ( Hanovarian bas***d!!!!). Unfortunately, from the expression on my face, it looks as if I've been sucking lemons (s*d it!).

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:32 am

Andysmith wrote:Unfortunately, from the expression on my face, it looks as if I've been sucking lemons (s*d it!).

Or........

You forgot to put your teath in :lol:

Did you realise that the kit you had at filming would also work wonders for 7 Years War Canadian militia with a slight change in hat?

Go on, you know it makes sense.......

Perhaps we can interest you in to coming to Bath with Tod et al..

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:09 pm

I vowed NEVER to take a bath again with Tod...I'm not going into any more detail, look at me, just thinking about it again has made me go all shaky and sweaty...all those years of psychotherapy wasted!!!

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:53 pm

I haven't seen Skirmish yet, I'll have to pop down to W H Smith's. Who else is in the pics?

Go one Andy you know you want to come to Bath (not with me that would just be too scary). Its worth going, Andy R is cooking us all dinner. All we have to is supply him with port. Plus we get to shoot Redcoats and loose.
Its all true I read it on the net.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Loose what?
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:11 pm

Exactly....it's started already.

Mmm...seriously tempetd by Bath (the city rather than the ablutions with Tod) ...do I get to kill th' English? Actually, it all depends if I can convince my long-suffering wife if I can come out to play. I can do a passable Scots accent (with just a tad of a 'gay Edinburgh twang) but I'm unsure about my dodgy French-Canadian. I wonder if I can obtain some moose and raccoon-skin lined undercrackers from ebay in order to get 'into the part' so to speak?

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:13 pm

Moose burgers, now there's an idea.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Tod wrote:Plus we get to shoot Redcoats and loose.
Its all true I read it on the net.

And we get to shoot redcoats and WIN

Tod wrote:Moose burgers, now there's an idea.

Now Bison burgers.....

They were good.

We did an event at the Bison Centre, and all particpents were allowed a free burger.

Mmmmmm, burgers......

Steve was there, and I can honestly say it was probably one of the best c18th events I have ever done - especially what with the improptue skirmish.

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:37 pm

Talking about 'sexy'...methinks I have discovered a source of straw hats which can be turned into 'colonies-wear' tricornes at the 'flick of a brim...or three'. Believe it or not 'George' at ASDA make a nice, wide-brimmed hat in a very fine/flexible straw material (or is it a 'straw-like' material? My knack**ed old fingers and eyes can sometimes deceive me as I'm old and sometimes infirm...pass the commode and open that packet of Werthers for me will you?). If you want to give it a shot you'll find them in the laydees-wear section next to the belts, knickers and bra-things. They only cost £6.00 English-pounds a-piece so the cheapness easily outweighs the embarrassment factor of sifting through laydees-underwear items if you're a big hairy bloke (unless you do that sort of thing on a regular basis of course- or you are a bona-fide laydee)...probably the best thing to do is to get a laydee to look for one for you...a straw hat that is.

Done.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:48 pm

I expect to see you wearing yours at Bath then :D

What with Tod's estimation of numbers from RaT meeting the numbers we turned out at the weekend (Indian's not included), it will be great to see people there.

And with the ammount of Ranger's gunning for us without the red-coat ellement, believe you me they'll be well received.

Talking of the weekend, Gilbert White's house was fantastic - a lovely venue in a very picturesque environment.

Vive le Roi,
Andy

Foxe
Post Centurion

Postby Foxe » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:20 pm

Andysmith wrote:Talking about 'sexy'...methinks I have discovered a source of straw hats which can be turned into 'colonies-wear' tricornes at the 'flick of a brim...or three'. Believe it or not 'George' at ASDA make a nice, wide-brimmed hat in a very fine/flexible straw material (or is it a 'straw-like' material? My knack**ed old fingers and eyes can sometimes deceive me as I'm old and sometimes infirm...pass the commode and open that packet of Werthers for me will you?). If you want to give it a shot you'll find them in the laydees-wear section next to the belts, knickers and bra-things. They only cost £6.00 English-pounds a-piece so the cheapness easily outweighs the embarrassment factor of sifting through laydees-underwear items if you're a big hairy bloke (unless you do that sort of thing on a regular basis of course- or you are a bona-fide laydee)...probably the best thing to do is to get a laydee to look for one for you...a straw hat that is.

Done.

What concerns me is the question of what you were doing in the ladies underwear section in order to find the hats in the first place...

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:53 pm

Well these things happen.

One of my wifes friends asked me but a few hours ago to pick up a couple of 34DD sports bras next time I'm in Asda.

Of course I just go to Asda for the currys, ladies underwear is just a side line......

jfdiow

Postby jfdiow » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:43 am

at only £6.00 they can probably be made into ladies hats as well- cut the crown down to a decent height and make it a little smaller in diameter (damp straw, stitching and lots of rabbit glue!)

Stiffen the brim by dampening and then ironing

cover the glue joins at the base of the crown with a trimming and , if necessary add a trim round the brim,

add ribbons/tapes

Voila- an 18th century ladies hat!

Of course the cost doesn't include the £50 ferry fare to go find an Asda!!

Best,

Judith (on the Asda Free Island)

No pixels were seriously harmed in the transmission of this message although a few may have been bumped, bruised and ill-treated

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:14 pm

Aha! You are still in the 'Spar' era then?(Or be it the 'Happy Shopper'?) upon the Heils of White.

Disclaimer...Spar and the Happy Shopper are at the pinnacle of 'small-scale'/local supermarkets and are viewed with great affection by the British public (especially the all-night Spar in Aberystwyth which is heavily frequented by inebriated students at 4.00am after a night out at 'The Bay' niteclub and choral singing venue...my son being one of them on a regular basis!)

As to Mr Foxe's observations...I stumbled into the laydee's Wear section by accident after turning left at the hot chicken counter rather than right towards the cakes and hot buns. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

jfdiow

Postby jfdiow » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:38 pm

ahh, not quite, last year we got a Lidl (no-one goes there but we have one!)
we have Morrison, Sainsbury, M&S, 24hr Tesco(most profitable in the south of England) but no Asda:-(( and no Waitrose :-((((((

On the other hand I can get £5:00 straw hats at the grokelly shops.

Best,

Judith

No pixels were seriously harmed in the transmission of this message although a few may have been bumped, bruised and ill-treated

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:39 pm

Must admit,working for Asda as what I do......when we were house-hunting on the IoW last month,it was really nice not to see any of their pox-ridden,scum-sucking,bottom-feeding lorries anywhere......You can tell I really love my job!
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

Return to “1715-1810”