Jacobite info and places of interest Fort William area?????

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Jacobite info and places of interest Fort William area?????

Post by Tod »

Ed (MacPod) and I are off up to Scotland in a few weeks (big cheer!!!!!!!). We been booked to do a week at the Highland Folk Museum, in the 18th century houses (another big cheer!!!!!), as employees of the museum.
On our way up we're doing an event at Kirroughtree, and then heading up to Fort William, before going over to Newtonmore.
Does any one know of any out of the way places that have any Jacobite history -1745.
I found some amasing stuff in some of the smaller clan centres in the past, letters from all sorts of people. None of which have ever been referrred to in any of my dozens of books.
Ideas would be very welcome

Mark P.

Post by Mark P. »

I copied this off the NTS website, dont know which ones are particularly close to Ft William or which have anything of any particular interest.
Hope this helps :wink:

NTS and the Jacobites
The National Trust for Scotland looks after some significant sites and buildings where you can see Jacobite related objects. The castles of North East region - where a number of Jacobite families lived - are home to many interesting collections.

* Killiecrankie - battlefield and visitor's centre - Dunkeld - scene of the 4 hour siege in 1689 in which a tiny government force, led by the new Cameronian Regiment, destroyed a much bigger Jacobite army. Unfortunately, much of Dunkeld was destroyed with it, and the burgh centre had to be rebuilt.

* Glenfinnan monument - the tower at the head of Loch Shiel commemorates the site of the raising of the Jacobite standard in 1745. It was built by the architect James Gilliespie Graham for local landowner Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale in 1815. The statue of a Highlander and the cast iron inscription panels were added to it in the 1830s. There is a visitors centre at the site.

* Culloden - battlefield and visitors' centre.

* Alloa Tower - the home of the Earl of Mar and Kellie has pictures and objects from the time of 'Bobbing John', leader of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion.

* Brodie Castle - the Brodies were government supporters and in 1746 they let the army camp in the grounds before Culloden. The Castle has a piece of the sash of the Order of the Garter worn by Charles Edward Stuart.

* Castle Fraser - Charles, fourth Lord Fraser, had sided with 'Bobbing John' of Mar in supporting the Act of Union and then in the rebellion of 1715. Afterwards he went on the run and in 1716 was killed falling off a cliff at Pennan, Banffshire. Castle Fraser later belonged to Charles Fraser of Inverallochy, whose eldest son, also called Charles, had been killed on the battlefield after Culloden.

* Drum Castle - Alexander Drum Castle, Coat of ArmsIrvine, the fourteenth Laird of Drum was wounded in the battle of Sheriffmuir in 1715 and escaped abroad. Another Alexander, the seventeenth Laird, survived Culloden and was hidden by his sister in a secret room here. The Castle has some of his belongings and a portrait of Charles Edward.

* Fyvie Castle - Fyvie's owner, James Seton, fourth Earl of Dunfermline, was in the first Jacobite Rebellion and fled abroad in 1689. His lands were confiscated. In 1733 the second Earl of Aberdeen bought Fyvie for his wife, Lady Anne Gordon. Anne's brother Lord Lewis Gordon was a leading rebel in 1745. One day in 1746 she and her son William Gordon of Fyvie saw the Duke of Cumberland ride by. When he stopped to talk, she made a point of telling him she was Lewis Gordon's sister. The Duke gave the little boy an orange and said he hoped the child would prove as loyal to the Hanoverian cause as his uncle had to the Stuarts!

* Glencoe - Alisdair MacIain MacDonald, the Chief of Glencoe, fought as a Jacobite at Killiecrankie. In punishment for his failure to take the loyalty oath by the official deadline, he and about 37 other MacDonalds were killed by government troops in 1692.

* Haddo House - this was the home of William Gordon, second Earl of Aberdeen. He was a friend of the Earl of Mar but was not an active rebel in 1715. Mar destroyed letters from him to protect him from trouble. The house has portraits of the second Earl and of Maria of Modena, James VII and II's Italian wife, the Old Pretender's mother.

* Leith Hall - two Leith Hall, Jacobite pardonuncles of John III Leith were Jacobites in 1745: Patrick Leith and Andrew Hay of Rannes. Andrew was a Major in Lord Forbes of Pitsligo's Horse. He spent 6 years as a fugitive after Culloden and then 11 years abroad. When he returned, he helped John's family. Leith Hall has Andrew's writing case, given to him by Charles Edward Stuart, and his official pardon (certificate forgiving him for having been a rebel).
Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Dunblane - there's the council building where a local woman who was asked to serve Cumberland threw boiling water at him. There's also Sheriffmuir up the back. If you want, I'll give you the guided tour, me being a native and all! 8)
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!