The New Hercules (or the Modern Jacobite Revealed)

Moderator: Moderators

Mark P.

The New Hercules (or the Modern Jacobite Revealed)

Post by Mark P. »

Yet notwithstanding Highland Clans,
These mighty Favours still withstands,
Reflecting with their bold Bravadoes,
Our Men shot only at their Shadows.
And give us reasons very pat,
Becuase they sav'd their Lives by that:
Yet if reports has not bely'd 'em,
As bullets came, they skip'd beside 'em
which is a riddle hard and dark.
When not one Gunner hits a Mark;
I doubt they've learn'd the Magick Art,
And value not our Guns a Fart,
Or else the Skins of Highland Scots,
Are Proof against both Swords and Shots.
Tho' this is strange, it seems too true,
Because none of their Men were slew,
And which our Reason most has shaken,
Not one poor single Rebel taken:
Three Hours beaten and none die,
Yet no Man knows the Reason why,
'Tis very strange 'tween You and I.

Extract From
'A Hymn to the Victory in Scotland' originally written after the battle of Sherrifmuir.
(As resurrected by Mr Pennock)

MP
Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Mark, I take it this is having a go at the idea of the 'Invincible Highland Warrior'?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Mark P.

Post by Mark P. »

Yes, it was written in response to some particularly dubious jacobite casualty returns.
Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Personally, I always find it interesting the number of people who truly believe that the best way to beat a massed volley is to be armed with a sword and a targe. :wink:

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

That, Alan, is because you are not a believer in the aura of protectiness granted by the spirit of tartanalia.

As I found to my cost, any attempt to install the idea that later Jacobean highlanders were equipped with guns is a blatant lie that flies in the face of primary evidence (like Braveheart).

Interestingly enough, Tod told me of a small segment of Jacobite re-enactors who were going to do the Irish Piquet's in Lace Wars.

Complete with leather armour and spears :shock:

He was none to worried that they never turned up again once he'd set the record straight as to what the Irish Piquet's actually were...!
Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Andy R wrote:That, Alan, is because you are not a believer in the aura of protectiness granted by the spirit of tartanalia.

As I found to my cost, any attempt to install the idea that later Jacobean highlanders were equipped with guns is a blatant lie that flies in the face of primary evidence (like Braveheart).

Interestingly enough, Tod told me of a small segment of Jacobite re-enactors who were going to do the Irish Piquet's in Lace Wars.

Complete with leather armour and spears :shock:

He was none to worried that they never turned up again once he'd set the record straight as to what the Irish Piquet's actually were...!

OK, that's me heard everything now..... :shock:

It's sad, but there are still people out there who need convincing that a Jacobite army was not all "Ya radge ye" and headbutting your way to victory. They are also the same people who can't understand why someone would want to use a musket when they have a sword. It's sad that the 'romantic' vision has to win out over the reality.

Something I've wanted to do for a while is re-enact as one of the 1st of Foot, but because of the mind-block that people have when it comes to the Jacobites, I can see myself being on the reciveing end of way too much abuse to make it fun. :?

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Ah, the Irish Piquet story. First just in case any one should know who I am talking about. The lass who told me was recently killed in an accident at work. The truth is that she was mislead by a very much older re-enactor and as a result had some very odd ideas about the 18th century. When ever we spoke with out said older re-enactor present she was interested in historical facts. Unfortunately the education she received from the good guys was destroyed by some one who thought we were extras in Braveheart. I'm glad to say the older chap no longer is a member of Lace Wars. My thoughts go out to the friends and family of the lass. However she had a really good sense of humour and I'm sure would see the funny side of this.

The scene, the Jacobites are about to storm Tutbury Castle. The commentator is creating the scene. The Redcoats are patrolling the arena. Outside the walls the Jacobites are checking guns etc and waiting for the orders to attack. It was very quiet. The lass and her “mentor” started telling me that they were going to set up a new unit – the Irish Piquet’s. As no one else was doing this (at the time) they thought it would be great. Now this little band were sword hero’s. The kit wasn’t bad but muskets were things other people had, so when the Jacobites heard that they were actually going to get guns and proper uniforms they started listening more carefully. I asked what sort of guns they were going to get, who was going to make the uniforms and which Regt. they would be portraying. It went very very quiet………………que wind noise and tumble weed.............
The response was “ yeh that’s a mistake a lot of people make, we’ve done our research and they didn’t have guns, they had smaller shields and spears, with bigger swords, leather jerkins, and some times bows and arrows". I had no idea what they were on about until………………………………
“just like the Irish guy in Braveheart”. The Jacobites fell about, and we got the order to attack. The crowd must have thought we were all drunk, I couldn’t get any one within ear shot to do any thing other than bloody laugh. However a couple of volleys from the Government lines soon brought things back to normality.
I had a little word after the event and suggested they at least bought an Osprey book where they would find pictures of the Irish, none of that merry band have ever been back.

The good news is we now have some real Irish Piquet’s and an Officer when he turns up. They look the absolute dogs bits and are really nice guys. Strangely they seem to be lacking spears…………………..

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

Tod wrote:Strangely they seem to be lacking spears…………………..
Well, they ain't doing it right then are they :D

On a picky note, the officer of Dillons in the picture on Pulteney's site looks like he's wearing a 1750's Justaucorps (9 button) as opposed to the 1740's justaucorps (18 button)

True that's how Gerry Embleton did them in one of his pictures, but French line regiments at the time had 18 button coats (unless like the Ecossois they had coats of a different cut)

Queue 1740's French (with out of period facial fuz)
(And hair worn down as the photo was taken during filming for Blenheim)

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Tod wrote: The response was “ yeh that’s a mistake a lot of people make, we’ve done our research and they didn’t have guns, they had smaller shields and spears, with bigger swords, leather jerkins, and some times bows and arrows". I had no idea what they were on about until………………………………
“just like the Irish guy in Braveheart”. The Jacobites fell about, and we got the order to attack. The crowd must have thought we were all drunk, I couldn’t get any one within ear shot to do any thing other than bloody laugh. However a couple of volleys from the Government lines soon brought things back to normality.
Someone actually admitted to using Braveheart as a source? Did you have to release them back to their carers afterwards? :twisted:

Are the group you have doing Irish Piquets now the same people?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

One of them is Dave Wilton (or Wilson) who used to do the Le Sarre(?) officer bit with De la Reine years ago, but he fell out with Dave and that was that.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

The people who are doing it now are members of Rose and Thistle (RaT). Dave Wilton did a season with us last year (that may be him on Pulteney's site but I haven't checked) but seems to have disappeared and doesn't reply to my mails (so Dave if you're reading this get in touch). The rank and file guys aren't part of what Dave was setting up and are completley new to mid 18th century re-enactment. They have some improvements to make but for a first season and one event so far I'm impressed. (see new thread "Do we expect too much")

The Braveheart Piquet's are no longer member of Lace Wars. They left before being asked to.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

What happened next, what happened next?

you can't just wet out appetites and leave us hanging like that Tod.

What regiment, where's the pictures etc.

Ooh, you've got me all excited :D

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Andy I'll send you a box of tissues :lol:
Pictures will be up when they get it more correct, as i said for a first event they were pretty good. Oh and they are in the Footgaurds as well, sort of tells you some thing.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

Tod wrote:Andy I'll send you a box of tissues :lol:
Pictures will be up when they get it more correct, as i said for a first event they were pretty good. Oh and they are in the Footgaurds as well, sort of tells you some thing.
So......

Ruth's/Roth's/Rooth's regiment?

(In case they are employing their redcoats) (Blue facings. breaches and waistcoat)