Penny Knife (Conversion)

Moderator: Moderators

Joolz

Penny Knife (Conversion)

Postby Joolz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Like a lot of you out there, over the years I have picked up a couple of Opinel No.7 & No.8 folding pocket knives. This morning, I thought I would do an easy little conversion job on an old No. 7, to turn it into something more period correct - a penny knife.

There's no disassembly needed, except to pop off the locking collar (which takes seconds with a flat-bladed screwdriver). The grip was remodelled (a bit of whittling/sanding/staining is needed) and the blade reshaped (a few minutes with a dremel-type tool and cutting disc) to give it that broke-back shape without the fingernail groove. A little polishing, and it's done. Obviously, it still has the Opinel touchmarks (on the left side) but at least they are more 'traditional' than a 'Made in Taiwan' stamp! The blade is not deep enough to get a good grip on it to unfold it, so I designed it to be flicked out with a thumbnail under the point, then unfolded. Works very well, and looks pretty, but judge for yourselves:

(shown alongside some trade knives I made from old carbon steel kitchen knife blades I pick up in junk/thrift shops)
Attachments
Penny Knife 1.JPG
Penny Knife 2.JPG
Trade Knives 2.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

Grymm
Post Centurion

Re: Penny Knife (Conversion)

Postby Grymm » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Nice!
Have you seed the joke version, sort of a Georgian variant of the arrow through the head?

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/collections/objects-in-3d/blades/trick-knife

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Just zoomed the joke knife and it looks like it has or had an Opinel style locking ring!?

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm

All nice work!...Mine has "Made in Pakistan"...... :envy:

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Return to “1715-1810”