18th century street life

Postby cannontickler » Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm

a street coffee seller in 18th century Paris
by William Hole

French street musician

French street musician

French street life images from a fabric print

street vendors

it was a quick process until they made it efficient .

Captain Reech

Re: 18th century street life

Postby Captain Reech » Fri May 11, 2012 7:33 am

Brilliant stuff mate, loads of interesting options there for non military portrayals. I wonder if we'll struggle to find a lass who's prepared to wander around events announcing "Walnuts to pickle!" or if there will be a queue of volunteers!

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Grania

Postby Grania » Fri May 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Do I read into that that you are interested in non-military 18th century? :)

"...I hear your voice calling, through the silence of time..."

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Sat May 12, 2012 9:49 am

Grania wrote:Do I read into that that you are interested in non-military 18th century? :)

are you talking to me or der Kapitan von Reech........?????

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Sat May 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Stay away from them Grania, rough and smelly soldier types both. =op

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Sat May 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Grymm wrote:Stay away from them Grania, rough and smelly soldier types both. =op

oie you Mr. Grymm, i object to my reflection,
anyhoo, as your fully aware i grew bored with the stale lack of imagination of the pure soldiering mentality from certain duller types with no breeding ages ago and der Kapitan et moi ( look, almost three languages now....!!!!!.....i must be multi lagoonal..?? ) are almost set to venture into new open waters, or landlocked waters as it were.

Grania

Postby Grania » Sat May 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Grymm wrote:Stay away from them Grania, rough and smelly soldier types both. =op

As opposed to gentlemen of the greatest respectability? :D

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 pm

i'm going to sneak these up again whilst Mr. Grymm is out to lunch.
all from my favouritest interest, fowling scenes.

Detail from the Thomas Gainsborough painting
Mr. and Mrs. Andrews (c. 1748-50).

Mr. Andrews wears a short gray, double-breasted jacket with a green collar, a matching gray untrimmed waistcoat, black (or navy blue) breeches and white thread stockings. His hat is a silver-laced tricorn. He has kidskin gloves and wears a mesh game bag on a leather belt around his waist.

Again, note the dog complete with leather collar with a brass plate I.D. tag.

The Third Duke of Richmond
out Shooting with his Servant
Johann Zoffany (c. 1765).

Charles Lennox, third Duke of Richmond is wearing a matching outfit in brown, black canvas spatterdashes or half-gaiters, and an oddly-shaped gold-trimmed, tri-cornered hat. Over the right shoulder he wears (presumably) a hunting pouch and horn on a leather strap, and over the other hangs a large mesh game bag. Note the servant's dress; blue velvet coat trimmed in red, red waistcoat and buckskin breeches.

Note that the dog, a small, tri-colored spaniel, has his tail docked -- still a common practice for this breed today.

Detail from James and Mary Shuttleworth...
Joseph Wright of Derby (1764)

Mr. Shuttleworth has a gorgeous long scarlet waistcoat under a heavy, blue velvet coat that has both a collar and cuffs and closes brass or gilt buttons. His button holes are trimmed with gold thread. He also wears buckskin breeches and ribbed woolen stockings. His heavy black hat is uncocked but turns up a bit at the brim. Over his right shoulder is a brown leather belt with a plain buckle, probably holding his hunting pouch.

Very stylish!

Note that this outfit is very similar to the Duke of Richmond’s servant (above) and is almost identical to the Markeaton Hunt livery (c. 1762-63) worn by a fox-hunt club in Wright’s home town of Derby.

William Poyntz
Thomas Gainsborough (c. 1762).

Mr. Poyntz is wearing a drab-colored collar- and cuff-less coat with a tan waistcoat and breeches. He has black half-gaiters and a jockey-style black cap trimmed with a black bow at the back. The leather strap over his left shoulder holds a game bag or hunting pouch (what appears to be a hunting pouch here is actually part of the log he leans against)

Mr. Grymm likes this one the best you know.

Thomas Nuthall and Hambleton Custance
Francis Hatman (c. 1748)

Mr. Nuthall (1715-1775) and his friend Mr. Custance (17??-17??) relax at a tavern after a days hunt. Nuthall (at right) wears a long, fawn colored wool coat with large cuffs and fabric-covered buttons. He also wears a light colored waistcoat and scarlet breeches. His cocked hat is untrimmed. A large blue-gray greatcoat hangs on the wall behind him.

His friend, Hambleton Custace (1715-1757) wears a green sleeved waistcoat trimmed in gold braid, buckskin breeches, buckle shoes and a trimmed cocked hat that he is wearing backwards.

(Tate Gallery, London)

Thomas Nuthall with a Dog and Gun
Nathanial Dance-Holland (c. 1770)

Mr. Nuthall (see above) was also an enthusiastic huntsman and was Ranger of the Enfiled Chase. Here he wears a more formal-looking matching green wool suit (possibly the "uniform" of his position as Ranger), tall boots and a slouched black felt hat. Of special note are his boot garters and white cravat. Also note the comparatively long cuffs to his coat. This portrait is also from the Tate Gallery, London.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 am

How dare you sir! I'll have you know that at times I can be both smooth and fragrant! I was musing about the Civvie roles as I feel there are a number of venues that are open to having an event that are not best suited for a traditional Powder burn type event. Yes Cannon Tickler and I do have a plan to, well tickle a cannon actually but we'd also like people to see the softer, more genteel side of our natures (So, judging from the selection of illustrations above, we're going to wander about slaughtering wildlife and swilling port in seedy dives. Game on!)

I quite fancied the role of the "Old Lead or Brass" merchant for a while but, having just carted a rucksack full of the stuff to the local scrappie, I've decided it's far too much like hard work. So it will have to be "Buy any pencils?" as they're not too heavy to carry around......

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Mon May 14, 2012 7:50 pm

field marshal von Reech wrote .
"but we'd also like people to see the softer, more genteel side of our natures (So, judging from the selection of illustrations above, we're going to wander about slaughtering wildlife and swilling port in seedy dives. Game on!) "

I thought you said you were going to have a bash at portraying, Ye olde 18th century pimp.....??

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 pm

If you want to be nice to Grania CT make her one of these

or

With some OTT carving, just no mystikal keltic ksnotwork

Grania

Postby Grania » Mon May 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Goooorgeous! Bit posh for me :D then again........

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon May 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Still drooling over the fowling images........... :)

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Tue May 15, 2012 7:25 am

Grymm wrote:If you want to be nice to Grania CT make her one of these

If we do she has to promise to do the version of "Stairway to Heaven" with the extended solo.......(I actually fancy the keyboard in the background, Hapsichord or Virginial?)

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Tue May 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Grymm wrote:If you want to be nice to Grania CT make her one of these

or

sometimes upto 40 different exotic timbers in a cherubs washboard i did read once, most of which are very hard and expensive to acquire nowadays.
musical instrument makers are a talent way above lowly wood shaggers like me, on a par with fine cabinet makers and the like, very clever people indeed, i could knock you up an orange box to sit on at the Harpsipiano if you like.
Its no use Mr. Reech our masks are slipping and they can see us for the roughians we truly are.........!!!!!! quick, talk a
bit posh and say something clever about fruit or something.

actually i tell you what i REALLY fancy having a bash at carving one day, is a ships figurehead......oooh yes, that could make for a lot of wood chips for the fire that could.

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Tue May 15, 2012 7:47 pm

steve stanley wrote:Still drooling over the fowling images........... :)

Hey, each to their own fetish Mr. Stanley of the woods.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Wed May 16, 2012 8:09 am

Talk posh? oi doon no if I can do that master, Oi be jest a 'umble gardiner loik! <Ahem>

"I say, Master Cannon Tickler, have you tried Lady Elenna's rather splendid new Medlar preserve? Absolutely top hole, just the thng with a nice sharp wensleydale don'tcha know."

(Do you think they bought it?)

Now oi got to get back to moi gardin. Got to keep them theiving pigeons orf me peas.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Wed May 16, 2012 10:17 am

cannontickler wrote:

Nice ideas for the Minutemen..............

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 am

steve stanley wrote:
cannontickler wrote:

The Fetish or the illustrations?

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Both.............

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Wed May 16, 2012 2:21 pm

I see, in the field, bold sons of liberty but, in the woods....maggoty perverts!

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Wed May 16, 2012 5:34 pm

steve stanley wrote:
cannontickler wrote:

the minutemen are a brilliant idea i recon, fills a gap in the market.
I didn't catch up with how far the minutemen company had actually got last year beforeend of play.
what plans are there for minutemen outings this season so far....??
myself and Captain Reech could quite seriously have an item of very great interest for the minutemen
if plans soon come together, but we are still slightly hush, hush on this until we all know whats what.
which reminds me that i must yap to Mr. Brett about something as well.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 pm

More fowlingness. Francis Hayman Two Gentlemen and a Dog mid 1750s.

How small do you have to be to qualify as a minuteman? Is the next step up a teenyman?

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Thu May 17, 2012 7:13 am

i sort of really like this contemporary print of the Lexington minutemen as it gives a good idea for a line of fire.

Mr. Droll wrote.
How small do you have to be to qualify as a minuteman? Is the next step up a teenyman?

its not big and its not clever to take the mick out of leprechauns you know .......!!!!
bad Grimm

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 pm

a couple from one of my most favouritest artists, John Wootton.
section detail from some of his works.

George Henry Lee, 3rd Earl of Litchfield, and his Uncle the Hon. Robert Lee, Subsequently 4th Earl of Litchfield, Shooting in 'True Blue' Frock Coats John Wootton 1744

Viscount Weymouth's Hunt: Mr Jackson, the Hon. Henry Villiers and the Hon. Thomas Villiers, with Hunters and Hounds
John Wootton 1733-6

Viscount Weymouth's Hunt: The Hon. John Spencer beside a Hunter held by a Young Boy
John Wootton 1733-6

Lady Mary Churchill at the Death of the Hare
John Wootton 1748

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Mon May 21, 2012 8:33 pm

This one a little more for us of the SYW favour, but a very interesting painting just on content alone.

Johann Heinrich Tischbein
the princes painting
showing Wilhelms’ grandsons.

notes about the work of art .

To the left we see Wilhelm (later IX), dressed in the officers’ uniform of his regiment Prinz Wilhelm Cuirassiers (K1). The Kassel museum does not date it, but the inducement for this painting was most certainly Wilhelms’ declaration as aspirant of the throne of Hesse Hanau, in 1754. Normally, the son of the reigning landgrave would receive the countship of Hanau, but Wilhelm VIII. son Friedrich had converted from Calvinist to Catholic religion sometime before. The Hanau Estates therefore refused to accept him as their sovereign. For that reason, his son Wilhelm was to become count of Hanau instead. The settling of affairs took a number of years. Wilhelm became count of Hanau only in 1760 .

Of particular interest is the collection of arms on the right fore and background. The pair of cavalry standards along with the kettle drums of K1 can be identified and have been regarded as authentic elsewhere before. The pair of infantry flags can be identified as those of the Hesse-Hanau Landregiment (IR 13 in 1763). Note the colouring of the mortar, and also note the pair of bataillon guns seen in the right background. one would identify them as the guns of the Hessian Garde Regiment (IR1), for Wilhelms’ two younger brothers are dressed in the officers’ uniform of this regiment. The painting was certainly done at Cassel and the arms would come from the Cassel arsenal rather than that of Hanau, with exception of the flags, which should have been the new ones, bearing the arms of Wilhelm.

A close up view of the background cannons reveals both are likewise white with the wooden elements and the metal parts are furnished red. Also the spokes can be seen painted red. I decided to base my illustration of the details found with this oil painting. Red and white are the principal Hesse-Cassel colours. Painting the guns according to the arms colours wasn’t uncommon at all. Examples would include the early 18th century Prussian white wood / black metal, Austrian yellow wood / black metal, and Saxony vice versa – to name only a few.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue May 22, 2012 3:26 pm

[quote="cannontickler"
the minutemen are a brilliant idea i recon, fills a gap in the market.
I didn't catch up with how far the minutemen company had actually got last year beforeend of play.
what plans are there for minutemen outings this season so far....??
myself and Captain Reech could quite seriously have an item of very great interest for the minutemen
if plans soon come together, but we are still slightly hush, hush on this until we all know whats what.
which reminds me that i must yap to Mr. Brett about something as well.
[/quote]

We're at Bath end of June,and then Kelmarsh.........

Bucket

Postby Bucket » Wed May 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Theres about a dozen of us aforesaid minutemen, all pushing to get our kit ready for our first proper show at bath, Weekend before 4th july. Then Kelmarsh, Should be good. You could say we can now claim to be a proper group see. :crazy:

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Wed May 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Bucket wrote:Theres about a dozen of us aforesaid minutemen, all pushing to get our kit ready for our first proper show at bath, Weekend before 4th july. Then Kelmarsh, Should be good. You could say we can now claim to be a proper group see. :crazy:

shut up you big tart, NO group is ever properly proper until i show up to make it look bad.

cannontickler

Postby cannontickler » Wed May 23, 2012 6:51 pm

I've just pinched matey here off the pirate brethren site, he's great i recon.

The Greenwich pensioners' uniforms are navy blue. (Also a correction: originally the pensioners' uniforms were dark grey lined with blue, then brown between 1712-1714 until after 1720, then blue, possibly from 1748 when the navy switched.)

Return to “1715-1810”