prices and wages

Moderator: Moderators

jacobitelady

prices and wages

Postby jacobitelady » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Working at Culloden battlefield, and am doing a 10 minute presentation on the wages and prices of every day objects and people. Does anyone have any information on the time period? I have seen a few web sites, but my boss is not keen on web sites.

Nigel
Post Knight

Re: prices and wages

Postby Nigel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 am

Then do the old fashioned thing and go to a library although whats to stop you using the net at home ? I assume because even though you are a volunteer working in the heritage industry you do understand how to research things more than googling them.

It may seem harsh but whilst we are happy to assist please do not expect the golden egg so to speak

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:20 am

In order that you may have an indication as to what and where to research, can I suggest two of J E Thorold Rogers magnus opuses
"Six centuries of work and wages. The history of English labour"
"A History of Agriculture and Prices in England from 1259 to 1793"
These books are like hens teeth but you may be able to obtain them through inter library loan.
At this time most of Thorold Rogers works are available in various Internet archives, free to download, thus putting your manager in a quandry about the use of the internet. Tis but a few seconds work on Google to find them.

jacobitelady

Postby jacobitelady » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks, will try to order that from the local library. No, I have not been taught how to research apart from Google. I have tried the library and the local archives, that is like trying to find a 4 leaf clover in a field, but have tried.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Look for 'Scotland and Scotsmen in the Eighteenth Century' by John Ramsay for info on wages and bounties(Cloth and clothing given as part of contracts) paid to farm workers.

G. Robertson in Rural Recollections has for Scottish wages 1743-59
Ploughman half yearly 30/0 - 33/4
Maid Servant " " 13/4 - 15/0
Man Shearer at harvest 16/8 + 3 pecks of beans
Woman Shearer " " 11/8

Elizabeth Mure Some Observations of the Change of Manners in My Own Time 1700-1790 has some food prices ie beef 3 farding to 2d a lb a hen 4d, veal calf 5/-

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:59 am

The Appin Regiment's orderly book (possibly still available as a back number of their magazine from the Stewart Society in Edinburgh) also gives the rates of pay of a Jacobite soldier....or what he was supposed to have got anyway!! If you can't find it PM me and I'll try to find the info.....
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 am

Oh I've managed to find the details....anything other than work on a Monday morning!!

Okay
Here is what I have so far regarding the daily rates of pay in the Appin Regiment from a list in the Order Book dated 3rd November 1745. It seemes to be an account and receipt to show money spent in a return to Andrew Lumsden the Prince's secretary.
All are in shillings and pence. I assume colonels etc did not require paying as they had their own resources to use.

Number in brackets is the number of each rank in the Regiment

Captain 2/6 (4)
First Lieut 2/- (4)
2nd Lieut 1/8 (4)
first Ensign 1/6 (3)
2nd Ensign 1/2 (3)
Sergeant 0/9 )
Piper 0/9 ) (9 total)
Colour Bearer 1/6 (1)
Surgeon 2/0 (1)
Adjutant 2/0 (1)

Incidentally the other ranks of 168 men break down in to 4 or 5 companies listed
Ardsheals 44 men
James Stewart 34 men
John Stewart 34 men
Invernahyles 42 men
Additional forming company John Stewart of Renvoir 10 men
Baggage 4 men

I am not very pre-decimally educated (just missed) but I've tried to work out the 164 lower ranks and the 4 baggage mens' pay which was £29 8 0 for 168 men for 7 days
SO @240d to the pound £29 8 0 =7056d
divide by 168 = 42d
divide by 7 days it would be 6d per day :eh: phew!

Hope that is of some use and interest to you
Cheers
Neil

Garg'n Uair Dhuisgear

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Return to “1715-1810”