Belt axes.

Moderator: Moderators

Longlaird

Belt axes.

Postby Longlaird » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Calling all trappers, colonials, rangers and pirates, I'm looking for a bit of advice...
I recently decided to make a set of presents for a group of friends who narrowly missed out on joining Roger's Rangers and so made them all a belt axe each for bushcraft use. I used a hand forged head from Ulfberth and hand made hafts from ash complete with wooden wedges. Everything I did was by hand, the polishing of the blades, sharpening and working the handles. And while doing so I discovered a new love of wood carving.
Getting to the point I was wondering if there was a market for more of these amongst the living history, reenacting and bushcraft community. The heads are approximately 18cm long and have a hammer head on the reverse. I can make them sharp for living history or bushcraft or blunt for safety purposes and can fit metal or wooden wedges to hold the heads in place. I just didn't know if anybody would be interested as I know there are some awesome manufacturers in the US but they do tend to be expensive. If people were interested I was also trying to look at a ball park figure for pricing.
If this is a terrible idea let me know (but be gentle) but I just thought I'd see what people thought.
Cheers guys.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Re: Belt axes.

Postby steve stanley » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes!.....speaking for Revwar & F and I types......

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Longlaird

Re: Belt axes.

Postby Longlaird » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm

That's sounds pretty positive, I've pm'd you.

Return to “1715-1810”