Light Dragoon

Moderator: Moderators

svartefyrste

Light Dragoon

Post by svartefyrste »

Greetings to all...I need help...I am from Germany, I am reenactor for the Early Middle Ages and now I want to add a second representation...of an English Light Dragoon around 1800...can someone help me here how it looks exactly and what material is used for their uniforms? :D

Dixie

Re: Light Dragoon

Post by Dixie »

pm'd you :)
Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

Hi,

what exactly are you after with regards to dress - home service, campaign etc.

1800 was quiet, but if you mean the 1800 regulations worn with minor alterations till 1813 (1815 in some cases) I can help you out.

Boots, overalls and a few other things change in this time.I think all the Tarleton changes that took place had taken place by then.

This is our Peninsular kit...

And for Waterloo (The 16th only received their 1812 uniform in February 1815)
Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

svartefyrste

Post by svartefyrste »

I mean the time from the American war with Banastre Tarleton until 1814. After that time the uniforms don't look like I would wear it :wink: ...It's very difficult...I noticed it...the uniforms changed a lot in that few years...I'm undecided, cor!...Have you an example for me like the uniforms looked exactly to Tarleton's times?...by the way: thanks for the other pictures!

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

Tarleton's period (AWI)

16th with modified uniform same period

Tarleton's Legion
Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

svartefyrste

Post by svartefyrste »

Hey, thanks a lot...the uniform coat of the Tarleton's Legion...is it completely green or are the front pieces of the sleeves and the collar black ?...I have to say the Tarleton's and the Peninsular are the most dashing ones...and can you tell me what drapery is used for that uniforms?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

Yup, black collar and facings for Tarleton's legion.

The coats we use are all made from woolen overcoating from either Sean Philips, HE Box, or Hainsworth's

svartefyrste

Post by svartefyrste »

all right...than it is true that the uniforms in the movie the Patriot with Jason Isaacs aren't authentic :D ...and what material you use for the trousers? The same?

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

svartefyrste wrote:all right...than it is true that the uniforms in the movie the Patriot with Jason Isaacs aren't authentic :D ...and what material you use for the trousers? The same?
The general style and cut is not bad but the british cavalry unit is fictional, based on Tarleton's dragoons. To help the hard of thinking (one is tempted to say American movie goers) they are portrayed in red coats instead of green.

This sums it up

The Patriot Film Fact or Fiction: People

In The Patriot:
Colonel William Tavington is based on Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton. Tarleton first made a name for himself in December 1776, when he was part of a patrol that captured former Continental Southern Commander Maj. General Charles Lee. He would go to make a name for himself in his exploits in the South, starting with Monck's Corner. He believed in total war, which meant that civilians who helped the enemy were the enemy.

Tarleton's force of Northern Tories was called the British Legion. They also became known as the Green Dragoons because their uniform was predominantly green with red trim, rather than the recognizable red uniform with the addition of green trim as in the movie
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

svartefyrste wrote:all right...than it is true that the uniforms in the movie the Patriot with Jason Isaacs aren't authentic :D ...and what material you use for the trousers? The same?
Overalls are made from wool from the same suppliers reinforced with leather
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

svartefyrste

Post by svartefyrste »

John Waller wrote:
The general style and cut is not bad but the british cavalry unit is fictional, based on Tarleton's dragoons. To help the hard of thinking (one is tempted to say American movie goers) they are portrayed in red coats instead of green.
Yes, it is easier for the audience...so also the last one will understand that they are British Soldiers...otherwise nobody of the broad mass will get this...let us be forbearing :wink:
John Waller wrote:
In The Patriot:
Colonel William Tavington is based on Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton. Tarleton first made a name for himself in December 1776, when he was part of a patrol that captured former Continental Southern Commander Maj. General Charles Lee. He would go to make a name for himself in his exploits in the South, starting with Monck's Corner. He believed in total war, which meant that civilians who helped the enemy were the enemy.
I read the story of Tarleton...and I don't think that it is fair making him the absolutely evil...to worst a much bigger force with a smaller troop don't make you bad!!
John Waller wrote:
Tarleton's force of Northern Tories was called the British Legion. They also became known as the Green Dragoons because their uniform was predominantly green with red trim, rather than the recognizable red uniform with the addition of green trim as in the movie
Green with red trim??...Andy R. and the pictures of Tarleton told me Green with black trim??...I'm confused :worried:

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

I was looking at the picture of Tarleton above..!

svartefyrste

Post by svartefyrste »

No problem...So the real uniforms of the Tarleton's Legion were green with red trim?

Grymm
Post Centurion

Post by Grymm »

No, most agree that it is Green and Black, like the chocolate, for the dragoons although a few say green and red.
http://www.mersey.ca/tarletonslegion.html

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

svartefyrste

Post by svartefyrste »

okay...thanks a lot to all here...when I have annother question to this topic you will hear from me again :wink:...and pardon me for my not perfect English!! :wave: