royal artillery

Moderator: Moderators

oakenshield

royal artillery

Post by oakenshield »

hello i was wandering if anyone could tell me what colours the royal artillery painted there gun carrages in the french indian war :)

many thanks sean

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

As far as I know they were the "Ordinance colour"...Grey.
..there are photo's of some rebuilt ones at Fort Ligonier in the Osprey book on the Monongahela.
Steve
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Mark P.

Post by Mark P. »

The gun carriages are also shown as grey in the Morier painting of the Royal Artillery in the Low Countries in 1748 although the artillery kettle drum carriage is painted red.

MP
Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

you would know that
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Drouot

Post by Drouot »

The gun carriages were not painted in the American Rev Wars. They were left wood, the metal work was blackened and gun tubes polished. Regulations state that the wood work was to be scrubbed with caustic soda once a month and then waxed.

For home service, grey paint was not used till 1820's Prior to this if the guns were painted they were either red (Adye 1764 treatise) or blue from the mid 1770's in imitation of the Prussia. Grey was not used till after the epoch. Buff was also used in the Napoleonic epoch. Black, white lead and red lead are listed in the peninsula as paint carried, but no mention of what vehicles this was destined for, but white plus black made brown and not grey.
Artillerie et train de la Garde Imperiale