18th century retreat?

Moderator: Moderators

Cynewyn

18th century retreat?

Post by Cynewyn »

Hello all,

I don't even know if what I'm looking for actually exists...I'm trying to find an 18th-century retreat - not really a reenactment, but a place where you spend time just living life normally as it was then...does anyone know if there is such a place?
Any pointers gratefully received! I've been scouring the net for months! :)
Many thanks,
Cynewyn

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

Yes- but not in the UK. They are very common in the US alongside the "trekking" movement where folk take their kit and disappear into the woods.

I know of a week-long maritime combat training event planned for next summer too with Steve Huff, John Lennox and Mark Donnelly.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

steve stanley
Post Knight

Re: 18th century retreat?

Post by steve stanley »

Cynewyn wrote:Hello all,

I don't even know if what I'm looking for actually exists...I'm trying to find an 18th-century retreat - not really a reenactment, but a place where you spend time just living life normally as it was then...does anyone know if there is such a place?
Many thanks,
Cynewyn
I've been looking for years......Like Phil says,it's common in the US...But it's hard to break people away from the normal mental picture of what Re-enactment 'is' ie plasticish camp,public show,beer tent....
Steve
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

Problem here is lack of space since wherever you are you are always near someone else, and the restrictions on wandering around with firearms etc. plus they can hunt to get the food they need a lot more easily.

I'd love to do the week long C16/7th "School of the Renaissance Soldier" they have over in the US too.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

Phil the Grips wrote:Problem here is lack of space since wherever you are you are always near someone else, and the restrictions on wandering around with firearms etc. plus they can hunt to get the food they need a lot more easily.

I'd love to do the week long C16/7th "School of the Renaissance Soldier" they have over in the US too.
And there you have it.....I know some of Greens's Rangers 'go out' on Dartmoor,but it's a long way....Problem is getting like-minded souls from 1 area,doing 1 period,to work together to find somewhere appropriate.

Cynewyn

Post by Cynewyn »

Problem is getting like-minded souls from 1 area,doing 1 period,to work together to find somewhere appropriate.[/quote]

Maybe this is the place to do so? Seems like there're already three or four of us... :D
I can see location would be difficult, though - not much space left in the UK! I live in Brittany, where there's LOADS...not sure if it'd be a very convenient location, though...but seriously, if there are enough of us who're interested, it must be possible, surely?
Can't believe it actually doesn't exist (yet!) in the UK...
I wasn't so much thinking militia/firearms type thing - just 'normal' everyday civvy life :wink:

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

I'm not thinking spcifically military either...But it would be nice to have to carry the right stuff for what I do...Something more like Ray Mears in period!......But I suppose any group of foot travellers would have to surmount the same problems of shelter,fire,food,& water....
Steve

Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

Isn't there a fort that does non public 18thC flavoured events down Pompey way?
That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.'

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

I think it's Mountain Man stuff.....1820's-'30's Ft.George in the New Forest ?..works like the various 'Western Towns'....very localised unless you get an invite......

Cynewyn

Well...

Post by Cynewyn »

if it'd be possible to get an idea of how many people would be interested, I'm willing to start investigating the logistics of the idea...I'm totally new to this circuit though, and I'm not currently in the UK, so if any of you old hands would like to work with me/ give me some ideas, that'd be great!
On this website for example: is there a way of setting up a poll, or a part of the site where people put their names down for events? What could be the best way to get the idea known?
I think to start with it'd have to be something not too ambitious...even if it was just in a large house with grounds, where we could get a feel for social codes and relations, use of language, etc. Even over a fairly reduced space, we'd still have enough scope for roles such as gardeners, servants, cooks, maids, nobility, neighbours, farmers, etc.
What would be your reactions to such a project?

wurzul

Post by wurzul »

Dave Allan of Pike and Shot events http://www.pikeandshot.com/ did a Regency weekend at the Kingston Maurward estate t'other week. Although some military units were present, it is a regency weekend first, and the military are part of that, rather than most of it. The 'Madding crowd' were present, a group who portray 'Hardy era' village people, and do some excellent roleplaying stuff and music. Some pics on the 2/95th's website,
www.95th-rifles.org.uk/ in events, 2008, Dorchester. Contact Dave Allen, I'm sure he would love to hear from you, he has plans to expand even more next year, and with a whole estate and house to play with, it might be just what you are looking for.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Re: Well...

Post by steve stanley »

Cynewyn wrote:if it'd be possible to get an idea of how many people would be interested, I'm willing to start investigating the logistics of the idea...I'm totally new to this circuit though, and I'm not currently in the UK, so if any of you old hands would like to work with me/ give me some ideas, that'd be great!
On this website for example: is there a way of setting up a poll, or a part of the site where people put their names down for events? What could be the best way to get the idea known?
I think to start with it'd have to be something not too ambitious...even if it was just in a large house with grounds, where we could get a feel for social codes and relations, use of language, etc. Even over a fairly reduced space, we'd still have enough scope for roles such as gardeners, servants, cooks, maids, nobility, neighbours, farmers, etc.
What would be your reactions to such a project?

Hmmm...A sort of Georgian Kentwell...?

Cynewyn

Re: Well...

Post by Cynewyn »

steve stanley wrote: Hmmm...A sort of Georgian Kentwell...?
Just Googled it, and that seems to be pretty much exactly what I've in mind, except that it wouldn't be a show at all - a real experience of life as it was, a sort of retreat, total escape from the modern world! :) What do you think? Sound feasible/of interest?

Wurzul, thanks for the info, I'll definitely get in touch with Dave Allen - that might just be the solution! :D

drew

Post by drew »

keep us info'd please as i think a lot of people would be intrested in this.

D

Redders

Post by Redders »

I'd certainly love to see something like thi sget off the ground.
I'm sure one or two more of our group would be fairly interested in this kinda thing?
Obviously I can't speak for them but seeing as they are LH nuts (Like me) should be fun :)
Trust me - I'm a Red Coat

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk
http://www.lacewars.co.uk
http://lacewars.freeforums.org
http://www.sj-seamstress.com
--------------------------
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

Cynewyn

No news yet....

Post by Cynewyn »

Hi everyone,
Just to let anyone interested in this idea that I contacted Dave Allen about 3 weeks ago, but I haven't received a reply...must've thought I'm another random nutter :cry: !!! If anyone knows him personally, could you sort of point him in my direction?
Any thoughts on other avenues to try?
Best wishes,
Cynewyn

Le Loup

Re: 18th century retreat?

Post by Le Loup »

Cynewyn wrote:Hello all,

Many thanks,
Cynewyn
There is a living history retreat right here. Wychwood Forest, New England, NSW Australia. http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com
Regards, Le Loup.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/